Why do people like DOMS?

Options

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I hate DOMS. When I get it, I'm too sore to put in a decent workout.

I had it this past week. Ran 6 mi in minimalist shoes after ~1 mo running break. Lower legs started complaining around mile 4 and I should have stopped, but no. I'm such an idiot. I know better.

For about 5 days after, my calves were so tight and swollen-feeling I could barely walk. Every time I sat or lay down they'd tighten up more and get worse. Foam rolling was no help at all. Body-weight squats did help and felt like my calf muscles were separating from the bone (fun). Needless to say, no running for me until the pain was gone. I was so tight I was afraid I'd pull something.

ETA: Been so happy to be able to run this week and feel just fine the next day/s.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Based on what I see; I would speculate that unfortunately people think being sore all the time is a sign of progress in the gym or is somehow good.

That would suck being sore all the time.

I feel like occasional DOMS indicates that I may be activating a lesser worked area. I can get a mild onset when changing up supersets.

Right now I'm sitting on a mildly sore butt and it feels gooooood.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I typically don't get doms too much - a little light soreness or tightness the first week of a different rep scheme.

Right now my doms have doms. It's actually kinda comical until I get warmed up and moving. But I dislike it. I don't need to be sore to know that my training is effective.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Sounds freaky... Even the acronym is freaky...
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I was one of those people who thought pain = progress, so it seemed great when my stomach felt like it had met the wheels of a truck, or gone a few rounds with the inhabitants of a safari park. I like to see and be able to measure progress, and often thought it would be cool to see green status bars in real life, like they have in The Sims, lol
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,000 Member
    Options
    DOMS makes me feel just a bit sad ... that I've let myself go enough to feel DOMS when I start working out again.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I enjoy DOMS :no_mouth: Maybe I'm just wierd!

I like it too! Though I rarely get it these days. :(

I like getting feedback from my body, plus it makes me more apt take care of it. When I get DOMS, I'll foam roll or use magnesium oil.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I really only get DOMS after I've been slacking for too long or doing something new. I like it simply because it reminds me to feel my muscles and provides a focus for me to reconnect my brain to my body feels. But I don't think it's necessary or something to be cultivated.... just a side effect of something new or different. Last 2 days or so and then I'm DOMS free until I shift routines or something like that.
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Soreness everywhere but legs is Ok. Legs kill
  • eatgoodeat
    eatgoodeat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    gia07 wrote: »
    Hate DOMS... I do not need to have DOMS to feel like I worked out...

^^ +1
    Thankfully, I've been doing this long enough that I rarely get it anymore. My husband just started a new lifting program and he's walking around like a 90 year old today. I don't get the sense that he's enjoying it at all, though I am enjoying sending him teasing texts; cause that's what loving wives do.

twzy1l9u512g.jpg

BUAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAAA this meme is great *saves*
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Because sometimes for consistent exercisers, it's a great indicator that you UPPED your intensity or program.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Oh, I thought this was a sex question...
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I've never been a fan of it myself. But if you work areas you rarely work, or work any area really hard, sooner or later it's going to happen.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    vada44 wrote: »
    Dumb question? What is DOMS?

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. So basicly it's why you are after a workout and sometimes up to several days later!

Thanks for the response!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    It's going to happen as you try new things or up exercise intensity, change variables, etc.; it just shouldn't be something to shoot for all the time and it seems like that's a common view.

Just like sweating your *kitten* off or puking seems to be common. Somebody was talking to me after a squat session where I was just doing singles and she said, "I can't believe your're not sweating your *kitten* off like me." I said, "I set my training goals and as long as I hit my training goals that's all that matters. If I sweat my *kitten* off then fine, if not fine, if I'm sore then fine, if I'm not sore then fine; all that matters is that I achieve my goals with the plan I set-out with."
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I like them, but can't explain why. I admit it is a weird thing to like.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I like them! Especially during a full body stretch the next day, feels good.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    aarar wrote: »
    I'm weird, I actually enjoy the pain. For me it's a reminder that I did something good for myself.

I get this

But I don't get DOMS that often and also don't confuse them with a sign of a successful workout
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    yc691gqphw8o.jpg

Ok not really, but I do like the reminder sometimes that I killed it and my muscles are talking back (though the time frame is usually more like 24-48 hours).