Obese dude ready to ask for help (MACROS & PROTEIN)

Options
I am ready to get my weight off and start getting my hormones and everything else in check. I was looking at macros being so important to get dialed in and was hoping others can help me with what I need.

I am 32 - 321 pounds, 6'0" and workout 4 times a week.

This is what I was given for my IIFYM Calculator.

CARBS / PROTEIN / FAT / FIBER / CALORIES
132.4 / 256.8 / 112.4 / 64 - 80 / 2568 Calories

Can anyone help me with why this site is suggesting I do 50% carbs and 20% protein and 30% fat? Also any suggestions on which foods I should pick for proteins. I don't mind eating chicken / meat but I don't want high heavy amounts of meat based protein just because it takes a lot to digest that.

Also anything else anyone can suggest to help me on my journey? I am such a newbie to this area.

Replies

• jelitor
    jelitor Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about Marcos but just wanted to give an encouraging word to say way to go on the commitment and research on your goals
  • betsybo62
    betsybo62 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi well done for taking the 1st step. It's always the hardest.

U sound so eager and willing to succeed.

In my opinion (and this is just my opinion) i wouldn't get too hung up on exact percentages and figures for now. It will all come in time.

Mine says i should eat more fat and carbs than i actually do. The thing is i love more protein based meals so i do what works for me but i am still trying to get more fat into my diet from mackerel and salmon etc. It' a life long process a day at a time and it takes time to get it all as it should be. Little steps make such a big difference.

High protein foods are: most meats, fish (tuna has lots), beans and pulses (baked beans, kidney beans, lentils etc) cheese/ milk (although watch the fat), egg whites and lots more.

I guess u just have to keep checking all the food labels until u kinda just know.

Hope that's helped some and good luck. :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What did you put in the calculator as
    A--activity level ??
    B--goal (how many pounds a week) ??
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Might sound like a stupid question, but what are macros?
  • tomtwoswans921
    tomtwoswans921 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Good on you mate,
    For your protein, don't forget Tofu. If you get some Chinese sauces like Hoy Sin , soy and some chill, cook as a stir fry it is quick easy and tasty. Get the firm tofu. You can have a healthy dinner on the plate in under 10 min. Plenty of protein very little fat.
    In summer I have it as a salad.
    Good luck
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Might sound like a stupid question, but what are macros?

Its ok I've got the info :)
  • George5891
    George5891 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Obese dude you say? No you must say to yourself THE GREAT DUDE. Come on Head up!

Start with "Carb Night" book by John Kiefer.

Good luck
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Macros depend on a lot of factors. MFP has a default setting (which I think is what yours is set at). My friend (who was doing a Master's in Nutrition) recommended that I set mine at 40 protein/30 fat/30 carbs; I lift 5 days a week usually. I usually run over slightly on protein and fat; slightly under on carbs. I've found that the higher protein/fat keeps me feeling fuller longer.

As far as protein- lean meats, canned tuna/chicken, beans, lentils, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, tofu (which can be added to pretty much anything from a sandwich to chili).