Getting *re*started again by doing the Standard Process 21 Program.

Options
Fell off the wagon in a huge way early this year with an injury. Habits got really bad to offset the fatigue from pain and lack of sleep due to pain. Pain got better, but I held onto the habits.

I started the Standard Process 21 Day Purification program last Saturday. I needed a structured program to get myself back on track because I was slipping back into the unhealthy habits and cheating too much on my own. I have utilized this program in the past, and they've updated it somewhat which has made it easier. I make one minor modification to the animal protein intake. Days 1-11 are suppose to be none, but I'm doing 3-6 oz a day throughout.

Before someone fires off anything about cleanses being bullsh*t, I agree with that in part. If you do a cleanse type program and go right back to poor eating habits there is of course no sustained benefit. What I like about this 21 day system is the promotion of changing the habits in a healthy and sustainable manner. No starving one's self, you can eat as much as you want off the list provided. No super-extreme restrictions.

I have averaged 1480 calories for the first 6 days without feeling like I'm starving myself in any way. I do need to bump that up slightly, but day 1 and 2 wasn't planned as well as I thought and I took in less calories. I'm taking in calories 5 to 6 times a day.

I've lost 5 pounds rapidly with the loss of water weight and the *ahem* results of having 40+ grams of fiber per day. I was feeling pretty sluggish, and, after eating, bloated with the garbage I was stuffing in my gullet. Those symptoms are mostly absent in the past 2 days.

Great start overall.

Replies

• emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this but I'm glad you've found something that works for you. That's awesome. Keep it up :)
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'm on day 15 of 21 now.

I'm finding my planning was a bit easier this week. Establishing the new routine as it were. Did have one "bad" day where I really wanted to indulge in a sugary bacchanal, but stuck with my plan to follow the program.

Did up my average calorie intake for the last week to 1703. My net calories were 1623, with the goal being 1680.

Down 9.6 pounds as of today.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I am starting this Nov. 1! How are you feeling?
  • bstrick999
    bstrick999 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me what the 21 day program is?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a decent program at least, and some people do better with strict rules. Personally, I did much better when I realized, that there is no wagon, there are no rules, and just because I eat too much i did nothing "wrong". Logged it and moved on. I found that to be much easier, and I stopped spiraling out of control.

Definitely find what works for you. Good luck with your program.
  • Rigi8
    Rigi8 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Sounds like a decent program at least, and some people do better with strict rules. Personally, I did much better when I realized, that there is no wagon, there are no rules, and just because I eat too much i did nothing "wrong". Logged it and moved on. I found that to be much easier, and I stopped spiraling out of control.

What a great philosophy! Think I will try this as I am always, in my mind, 'falling off the wagon'
  • Derf_Smeggle
    edited October 2015
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    @Cindytw, I'm managing very well. My logging should be open, so you can see sort of how I'm doing things. I did change the order of my meals last week, but that doesn't move the food previously logged. It makes it look a little strange; however, you'll still get the idea of what I'm eating.

It has definitely helped with G/I bloating and discomfort, and it has helped me establish how I would like to eat. I'm not as fatigued in the mornings. I was experiencing night sweats, which have almost completely gone away. All positives to eating more healthy.

As I mentioned in my original post, I have deviated from the strict plan by eating some animal protein throughout, instead of meat free days 1 to 11. I also added in the SP Whey Protein to my shakes. Additional protein, and, bonus, it helps the texture of the shakes.

I have been scaling everything, including my recipe ingredients, so my log is fairly accurate. The one inaccuracy is that I forgot a couple times to log my SP supplements in the evening, and I haven't gotten in to fix it.

*edit*
    Do the Gastro-fiber capsules, not the Whole Food Fiber powder. The fiber powder tastes horrendous even in the shakes...

• Derf_Smeggle
    Options
    bstrick999 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what the 21 day program is?
    As I stated originally, for me it is less about the "cleanse" and more about the establishing healthy eating habits again.

Here is a link to the program with some of the literature and research into the benefits.

http://www.standardprocess.com/Standard-Process/Purification-Program#.VjI9QCMo7qA
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I agree with you, auddii. You have to do what works for you.

I was finding what I was doing wasn't working, and definitely needed a little help breaking the cycle I where I was stuck. This is a good way for me to reestablish the habits I want.
  • cindytw
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    @Cindytw, I'm managing very well. My logging should be open, so you can see sort of how I'm doing things. I did change the order of my meals last week, but that doesn't move the food previously logged. It makes it look a little strange; however, you'll still get the idea of what I'm eating.

It has definitely helped with G/I bloating and discomfort, and it has helped me establish how I would like to eat. I'm not as fatigued in the mornings. I was experiencing night sweats, which have almost completely gone away. All positives to eating more healthy.

As I mentioned in my original post, I have deviated from the strict plan by eating some animal protein throughout, instead of meat free days 1 to 11. I also added in the SP Whey Protein to my shakes. Additional protein, and, bonus, it helps the texture of the shakes.

I have been scaling everything, including my recipe ingredients, so my log is fairly accurate. The one inaccuracy is that I forgot a couple times to log my SP supplements in the evening, and I haven't gotten in to fix it.

*edit*
    Do the Gastro-fiber capsules, not the Whole Food Fiber powder. The fiber powder tastes horrendous even in the shakes...

Thanks, I too am modifying the program slightly. I am not using all of their products, as I have a lot of things I react to (GI or allergy) and some of the products have them in there. I am doing the Cleanse, the Gastro Fiber, adding in my own Pea protein shake, and will probably skip the greens altogether and just try to eat more greens instead. My doctor said she allows eggs from day 1 if they are good quality farm eggs. I think I am going to try to go without anyway just to see because eggs can be an allergen too. If I go nuts without meat, I may add a little in earlier than day 11. Thanks for the response!
  • Derf_Smeggle
    edited October 2015
    Options
    So I just finished the 21 Day program.

Here is what the last three weeks looked like on paper:

Week 1: Net Calories
    1wu4192sfqnv.png

Week 2: Net Calories
    norkz8o4mbpj.png

Week 3: Net Calories
    rwsjziq7iq9x.png

Weight Loss over 21 days:
    7w9fdhgo9g92.png
  • cindytw
    Options
    Good stats!! That's a nice loss for 21 days! I'm doing it more for health but that would be a nice side effect!
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Options
    Healthy is my primary goal also, but part of that is losing the 20+ pounds I gained this year.

My average sugar intake dropped each week from well over 120g/day to 73g, 68g, and finally 64g. All sugars for the last 3 weeks came from whole food fruit and vegetable sources.

Meanwhile, my fiber intake increased from most likely 12-16g/day to an average of 46g throughout.
  • cindytw
    Options
    Healthy is my primary goal also, but part of that is losing the 20+ pounds I gained this year.

My average sugar intake dropped each week from well over 120g/day to 73g, 68g, and finally 64g. All sugars for the last 3 weeks came from whole food fruit and vegetable sources.

Meanwhile, my fiber intake increased from most likely 12-16g/day to an average of 46g throughout.

Yes, losing the weight I have gained is important as well, but I truly feel like crap right now and I just know this is the way to go to break the cycle of crap and not caring about what I eat.