When is it time for new running shoes?

Options
Currently wearing Brooks Adrenaline...love them. Showing wear on bottom, feet still feel good. My first race will be Turkey Trot.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    'they' say every 300-500 miles.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    " feet still feel good" Just before this stops being the case. ;-)
  • danielssmith
    danielssmith Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I usually feel it in my legs, they take longer to recover, it's around 300 miles. They normally still look in really good condition with some wear on the bottom, especially heels as I land badly.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    between 300 and 500 miles. Chances are they will not show wear before it's time to replace them
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I go by feel... once things start to hurt/ache more than normal I go for a new pair.

The mileage thing doesn't sit well with me logically.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Around 500 miles, when they start to get uncomfy, when they look worn on the bottom, when your ankles/calves/knees feel odd for no particular reason. Whichever comes first.

It's best to buy a pair before you think you need them, because then you can alternate wearing them with wearing your old pair to break them in.

I've got 4 pairs in circulation currently (because I'm a sucker for sales, and I like certain pairs for the treadmill, for running on pavements, and for running on trails), and I reckon at least two probably need to be retired soon. If only there was some kind of traditional gift-giving holiday coming up in the next few months...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am 500 miles on mine as of yesterday (Saucony). My vivosmart was setup to let me know when the mileage on these shoes reached 500 miles, but they are barely broken in.. no issues with the shoes, so I am going to continue on with them and watch for anything out of the ordinary with my feet and legs and running...

There is a "they" out there that says 200, 300, 400 or even 500... In my case I think it depends on feel, the brand of shoe and performance..
  • lbt1004
    lbt1004 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your input guys. :)

• gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I've rarely made it past 700km (435 miles) on a pair. But I only run on concrete/asphalt.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    For me around 400 miles. But I agree with what people have said: I can usually tell because I begin to develop minor aches and pains. Also, my shoes usually look just fine. A little wear on the bottom and on the inside padding, but that's about it.
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Also inspect your shoes periodically. Rubber breaks down over time from exposure independent of how many miles you've put on them. Also, if the insides have fully "broken in" you're no longer getting the support you need so they can be retired to knockaround sneaks and a new pair used for running.