Newbie!

Options
Hi everyone! I've been lifting weights for about 17 years, and have been a personal trainer for about 10 years. I've learned a lot about training and diet over the years. I'm a natural ectomorph with a fast metabolism, and am tracking my macros. I'm on day 33, and have a calorie goal of 3250. I was on 3000 for about 27 or 28 days, and didn't gain weight with that, so I stepped it up to 3250 about 5-6 days ago. Carbs tend to give me digestive issues, so my macros are a little heavy on the healthy fats and protein to make up for those calories.

Always nice to hear how other people are doing and if I can help anyone, please reach out to me. Thanks!

Replies

• tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    yo!
  • seasickcalimade
    seasickcalimade Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Where to even begin
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You do realize that somatotypes are debunked right?

Also, if you are maitaining at 3000 calories, that is pretty much going to mean you have a normal metabolism.. the majority of us maitain at that range. I know i do.
  • 3xercis3
    3xercis3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Which carbs are you having problems with?
  • dallas_33
    dallas_33 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Where to even begin

What on earth do you eat/drink to even reach that high? I've been given advice on stuff I never even heard of. What kind of everyday foods/drinks do you suggest?
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Also, if you are maitaining at 3000 calories, that is pretty much going to mean you have a normal metabolism.. the majority of us maitain at that range. I know i do.

Yep, same here. 3k maintenance is wonderful, though I'd love to maintain on 3.5k :p

Welcome OP! I'm curious, what are your macros?
  • dizzler1
    dizzler1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    OP would be interested to see your weekly training schedule
  • psuLemon
    Options
    dizzler1 wrote: »
    OP would be interested to see your weekly training schedule

I suspect the OP decided not to come back.
  • dizzler1
    dizzler1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

How do you figure normal metabolism at 3000 ? Serious question because I always thought my metabolism was fast at similar levels , been skinny most my life
  • psuLemon
    Options
    dizzler1 wrote: »

How do you figure normal metabolism at 3000 ? Serious question because I always thought my metabolism was fast at similar levels , been skinny most my life

His metabolism (or at least basal metabolic rates or resting metabolic rate) isn't 3000 calories. It's probably closer to 2000 calories. What you have to also figure in is the remainder of the energy balance equation (Thermal Effect of Food, Thermal Effect of Activity, and Non-Exercise Adaptive Thermogenesis).

• kayemali
    kayemali Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    dallas_33 wrote: »
    Where to even begin

What on earth do you eat/drink to even reach that high? I've been given advice on stuff I never even heard of. What kind of everyday foods/drinks do you suggest?

Oats
    Eggs
    Whole meal bread
    Chicken
    Nuts
    Peanut butter
    Avacado
    Protien shakes
  • Grosen17
    Grosen17 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It took me consuming 4500 calories daily to start gaining weight -_- Before that I was actually losing while consuming 3000. 6ft1 & 227lb now. Kayemali ^ pretty much summed up a majority of the diet but i eat way more beef and bananas .
  • KT_3009
    KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I have a guy friend that will eat upwards of 3500 calories a day and still lose weight (only slight), so he's bumped up his calories to 4250 and that's helped with muscle and weight gain. Just do slight calorie increments going up either 50-100 calories a week until you start seeing some weight gain