So does anyone raise farm animals or grow their own food?

Options
gypsyrose85
gypsyrose85 Posts: 206 Member
I raise Chickens :D I have tried plants but I kill them all.... 11026208_10207103799498967_8267661375487672152_n.jpg?oh=e12a0aa331d0f1eda175db7ab852348e&oe=56BF8CEC

Replies

• gypsyrose85
    Options
    12144785_10207905627464165_1792541705124185556_n.jpg?oh=fa96d24ca253a8e2f13be7ab588d4cc9&oe=56CC3015
  • twinjamom6
    twinjamom6 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    We have several free range chickens =eggs and grow alot of our own vegetables that get canned or frozen. Looking into meat. We do have a goat but he's a pygmy, and purely a pet.
  • gypsyrose85
    Options
    We have several free range chickens =eggs and grow alot of our own vegetables that get canned or frozen. Looking into meat. We do have a goat but he's a pygmy, and purely a pet.

Pigs are not that bad to raise. My husbands dads side of the family all have pigs. They are relatively easy to raise. If I had the land I would have a few pigs.
  • sairsyfairy
    sairsyfairy Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have chickens too! We just got our first babies this May. I love them.. only have 5 but they are awesome. Would love to have other animals but we live in a suburban neighborhood.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I stay in the city now, but I grew up on a small farm in Benoni, South Africa.

We raised our own chickens and turkeys and we had a cow for milk. We had a pig but he was a pet (his name was Hamlet). The animal management was much easier than the small amount of crops we tried to raise. Disastrous! The corn withered, the fruit was infested with bugs and was bitter. All we could manage was an acceptable vegetable patch and my mother got pretty skilled around jams and yogurt. My father had a regular corporate job so my mother was just messing around with the farming as a hobby so I think she did well, all considered.

Because of my childhood, I have a lot of respect for farmers.

I still have the strong urge to make my own cheese, which strikes every couple of years.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    not sure if fish count, but I'm counting them:

2nsryoy.jpg
  • gypsyrose85
    Options
    I have chickens too! We just got our first babies this May. I love them.. only have 5 but they are awesome. Would love to have other animals but we live in a suburban neighborhood.
    We have 3 roosters, 14 hens, 4 chicks of unknown sex, and 2 turkeys :)

• gypsyrose85
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    not sure if fish count, but I'm counting them:

2nsryoy.jpg

it counts :)
  • Wiz_Joe
    Wiz_Joe Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    56oloat5enfj.jpg
    77swjl8ypb0e.jpg
  • gypsyrose85
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    I stay in the city now, but I grew up on a small farm in Benoni, South Africa.

We raised our own chickens and turkeys and we had a cow for milk. We had a pig but he was a pet (his name was Hamlet). The animal management was much easier than the small amount of crops we tried to raise. Disastrous! The corn withered, the fruit was infested with bugs and was bitter. All we could manage was an acceptable vegetable patch and my mother got pretty skilled around jams and yogurt. My father had a regular corporate job so my mother was just messing around with the farming as a hobby so I think she did well, all considered.

Because of my childhood, I have a lot of respect for farmers.

I still have the strong urge to make my own cheese, which strikes every couple of years.

I would LOVE to learn how to make cheese :)
  • gypsyrose85
    Options
    56oloat5enfj.jpg
    77swjl8ypb0e.jpg

AWWWWW i love cows :)
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    56oloat5enfj.jpg
    77swjl8ypb0e.jpg

BEEF! It's what's for dinner!

Grew up on a family farm. Cats for rodent control. Working Dogs for protection & herding. Horses for work & riding. Dinner was hogs, sheep, chickens, geese, ducks, cows, dairy cows, rabbits. Plus a massive garden for food preservation. You name it, we ate it. In addition to domestic food, also ate what tried to steal from the garden such as wild rabbits, dove, pheasant, deer.

Way too much hard work now, but I do enjoy supporting local farmers market. (And shopping in the grocery store!)
  • Wiz_Joe
    Options
    @allaboutthecake you guys were doing it extensive; WOW!!! I would love to have horses, we have/had at different times cats, goats, cows, chicken (broilers and layers), rabbits, dogs. I wish we'd have horses thou ;) My grand parents do some community project with breed goats and they get goat milk for breakfast daily. We also plant vegetables from onions, tomatoes, pineapples, watermelons, maize and rice, all this from time to time at different parts of the farm/s. We sell and supply to the community around and other people in large. It's really nice to plant and feed on our own supplies.. It's even better to share to the people around us the excess supplies.
  • Wiz_Joe
    Options
    @gypsyrose85 :smiley: I love to milk, just not a kick thou
    ydpzrz9vagqz.jpg
  • gypsyrose85
    Options
    56oloat5enfj.jpg
    77swjl8ypb0e.jpg

BEEF! It's what's for dinner!

Grew up on a family farm. Cats for rodent control. Working Dogs for protection & herding. Horses for work & riding. Dinner was hogs, sheep, chickens, geese, ducks, cows, dairy cows, rabbits. Plus a massive garden for food preservation. You name it, we ate it. In addition to domestic food, also ate what tried to steal from the garden such as wild rabbits, dove, pheasant, deer.

Way too much hard work now, but I do enjoy supporting local farmers market. (And shopping in the grocery store!)
    For me it's
    3 cats, 2 snakes, a chinchilla and my birds with 5 kiddos lol.

• Wiz_Joe
    Options
    snakes?? :o
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I have a garden. It's been lovely! Wish I could have chickens.
  • katnroyal1987
    katnroyal1987 Posts: 3,449 Member
    Options
    I used to teach high school Agriculture and my family owns a cattle ranch in central Texas where we run a couple hundred head of Angus cattle.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    We have chickens (laying and meat birds), 2 large gardens and various nut and fruits trees/bushes scattered aroudn our property. We also hunt and fish.