Injury and exercise advice please :)

Options
So, I'm the type where I either have to obsess on exercising or I won't. Last week I started walking again out of nowhere trying to loose weight. I began walking 4 km each day at a good pace. In my mind, if your sore and feel it burn, your doing it right. Well this morning, as I was walking my dogs (a going at a faster pace due to them pulling me with the leash) I felt some burning on the inside of my lower leg. I'm thinking shin splint. I go see my doctor to see what I need to do and also I mentioned the fact that my knees were hurting more than usual. When he checked my knees, he told me that there was some swealling and that they grind (they've been doing this for years). I got recommended physio and anti-inflamatory for arthritis. I'm kinda bumbed as I was on a roll. What can I do instead that doesn't require too much of my knees? Also, will physio really help? I've been a few times to physio during the last 15 years and it would help for a few months. Then right back to hurting. Any one dealing with knee problems? Sorry for all the questions, lol. I'm just looking to see if this is more common than I think.

Replies

• arizonacrystal
    arizonacrystal Posts: 10 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My husband had this same problem. He started riding bikes once his knees started feeling better. He still had to take it easy while they finished healing. Now he never has knee problems and rides very intense trails about 3 times a week.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    hope you are still working on it. Pilates and barefoot slow steep uphill on the treadmill has helped me tremendously in the past. The objective is to work all the tiny muscles in your feet, ankles and calves that support your knees. I thought I could stop doing it six months ago but its benefits (of maybe a year of training) have worn off and I need to start it again.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you did too much, too fast. I have had three knee surgeries and I have arthritis so I understand the frustration. Physical therapy will help but only if you stick with it until you are released and continue to take care of your joints after you're done with PT. Biking can be a good option. I have issues with my pelvis and tailbone so that doesn't work well for me but swimming is an excellent alternative. There is almost no stress on the joints when you're in the water. You can do swimming, water jogging and water boot camp classes. You can also start doing heavy lifting which will strengthen the muscles surrounding your joints and improve your overall body composition. The stronger you are and less extra weight you are carrying, the better your joints will feel.