When do you stop eating at the end of the day?

Options
2»

Replies

• jebfab2612
    jebfab2612 Posts: 44
    Options
    I stop eating by 8 or 8:30. I fill up a big glass of water and keep it by my bed and drink while I read or watch tv. :)
  • gcumpson
    gcumpson Posts: 39
    Options
    I eat right before I go to bed as long as I am in a calorie deficit. Sleep like a baby.

Me too. If I go to bed hungry I wake up hungry and that is an awful feeling
  • kitkat536
    kitkat536 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I aim for 2 to 3 hours before bed. 7 or 8 is usually the latest I like to eat. I occasionally eat later, but that's only on a date night. :)
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I generally don't eat after dinner and since I get back from the gym around 19:45 - I'll usually have eaten by around 20:30 (unless I'm doing a jacket potato or something). If I'm starving and low on cals I might have a snack after dinner but will try to keep it minimal and healthy (weetabix is a common one for me).
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I don't like to eat less than 2 hours before bedtime.

Thats me. I have to have at least 2 hours in between the time I eat dinner and when my head hits the pillow. I rarely eat anything after dinner.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    The experts say that what's important is what time do you eat breakfast? Break. Fast. The fast should be about 12 hours before you break it. E.g.: If you don't eat breakfast until 9:00, eat until 9:00 the night before. If you chow downon oatmeal at 8:00, stop eating after 8:00 the night before...and so on.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • mikeeats
    mikeeats Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow! That makes a lot of sense. I will put that one into motion for a while to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for all of your support and replies!
  • gungadin100
    Options
    It can be a nightmare for me - I work rotating shifts; 2 early days, 2 late PM/evenings, 2 night shifts then a few days off before it starts all over again. It means your body clock is always confused. I have tried not to eat when I am not hungry, leave it a couple of hours min before going to bed, eat regularly through out your day (little and often better than saving all your cals up for a blow out.) It works for me, but you have recognise we are all different. Just be sensible.

Whilst I'm at it can any one explain this "eating your calorie deficit" business. I have a 1,200 calorie goal set at the moment. I have eaten under every day since starting. I add my exercise to the diary which obviously would "allow" me more calories each day. But I don't "eat" these. Seems daft - I thought you were meant to eat less calories to loose weight. Not exercise to eat more. Have I got it wrong?

5637180.png[/url
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • gungadin100
    Options
    Oh and incidently - Desiria, bloody hell you have done a good job lady! Well done!

:happy:
  • monicabellini
    Options
    Eat when you are hungry and only then- it doesn't matter what time- just listen to your body. x
  • corgifan
    corgifan Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I track my calories, so if I still have some left and I'm hungry I eat a snack, regardless of the time. I do make an effort to drink some water and wait 20 min. If I'm still hungry then I know it's true hunger and not thirst, so I fix a light but wholesome snack. I usually stick to fruit, small amount of peanut butter, a piece of whole grain toast, or even a hard boiled egg. I avoid anything with high sugar or lots of simple carbs (think white flour, processed foods), as they don't fill you up very long and you're much more likely to head back into the kitchen for food.

Bottom line: If you're experiencing true hunger don't be afraid to feed your body. Food is fuel, not the enemy, and learning to listen to our bodies is half the battle of weight loss.
  • CrazyAdventure
    CrazyAdventure Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have read several articles that say about 3 hours before you go to sleep that way your body is active enough and metabolism is up enough to digest.
  • Roszepoo
    Roszepoo Posts: 46
    Options
    Hi,
    I would like you to clarify-Do you try to eat almost all of your cals per day? I have almost 700 cals left, and I feel full. I do not want to eat. Should I? Am I running on too little? I feel full/
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I eat when I am hungry. And I ALWAYS eat something before I go to bed. ALWAYS. If I don't, I wake up in the middle of the night and am starving. Half asleep + a rumbly tummy = bad food choices.

I've lost almost 60lbs, so I don't believe the whole "Don't eat before bed" concept.
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    I try not to eat to close to bedtime simply because I tend to get heartburn. Yes, there was a time everyone agreed you have to stop eating at least 3 hours before bed or everything turns to fat. Problem with that? You're body never stops working! It is constantly digesting and constantly burning calories.