Diet Healthy Dessert

Options

Replies

• Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    I am a daily dessert eater. I have to build it into my day. I have used the Luna bars for my dessert on some days, but honestly there are lower calorie options. My current favorite is these crustless pumpkin custards. I make 6 of them on Sunday for the week and dollop some cool whip free on top. With the whipped cream and all they are about 215 calories.
    http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/individual-crustless-pumpkin-pies-aka-

Last year at Thanksgiving, my MIL forgot the sugar in the pumpkin pie. It was ok (but not great) with whipped cream. So last week I made pumpkin pie with 1/3 cup sugar instead of the 3/4 cup it called for. With whipped cream, it was just fine - for me and DH and my teen. Without the crust, one slice of pie and whipped cream was 141 calories. I could have made it lower cal if I hadn't been using the full fat evaporated milk, but that's what I had on hand.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I like choc and not dry. I think i dont like sugar sub. Anyway i keep trying diet and Protein bars Galore.

Ha! I've found a bar you haven't tried yet, and it meets your criteria.

http://www.kindsnacks.com/store/dark-chocolate-nuts-sea-salt.html

But of course, you don't need to eat protein bars to have a successful diet. They're simply packaged convenience. To meet my calorie goals, I cut the bars in half to make a 100-ish calorie snack.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I am a daily dessert eater. I have to build it into my day. I have used the Luna bars for my dessert on some days, but honestly there are lower calorie options. My current favorite is these crustless pumpkin custards. I make 6 of them on Sunday for the week and dollop some cool whip free on top. With the whipped cream and all they are about 215 calories.
    http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/individual-crustless-pumpkin-pies-aka-pumpkin-custards/

Other favorites are the 90 calorie fiber one brownies. Edy's slow churned ice cream, sugar free pudding topped with granola (love the Bear Naked Maple Pecan!) and s'mores (low fat graham cracker, some nutella and marshmallow in the microwave).

I have a similar crustless pumpkin pie recipe that you make in your crockpot.

http://www.recipesthatcrock.com/crock-pot-crustless-pumpkin-pie/

I'm crockpot obsessed. Just bought a new one so I can make dinner and dessert at the same time. lol. Oh and I also like to take a 15oz can of pumpkin and stir it into a box of chocolate cake mix and bake it in mini muffin tins. Makes some very nutritious brownies. Lots of fiber.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    Are the Quest Bars and Clif Bars worth eating though? They look delicious and r big and I usually eat anything under 400 calories of a piece of dessert.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    jissellc wrote: »
    Something that helps satisfy my sweet tooth is the Dole Dippers. They are strawberries or bananas covered in chocolate. The strawberry pack is only 60 calories and the banana pack is 100 calories.
    https://www.dole.com/Products/Dippers/Strawberry-Dippers
    https://www.dole.com/Products/Dippers/Banana-Dippers

I keep looking at these in the store, but haven't made the leap to try them. Are they mushy? I don't like mushy fruit. But I LOVE chocolate covered strawberries.
  • Emily3907
    Options
    Are the Quest Bars and Clif Bars worth eating though? They look delicious and r big and I usually eat anything under 400 calories of a piece of dessert.

It is hard to say if they are worth it or not, because it boils down to personal preference. If you have the calories/macros for them, you think they are tasty and they fulfill that "sweet" craving, go for it. Just remember that there are SO many options for dessert, so don't box yourself in. Have fun with it and experiment.

For me, the protein type bars are used for dessert in my house when I can tell I am going to get hungry during the night and want the extra protein for the day. But, like I said above, I am an equal opportunity dessert eater. <3
  • Emily3907
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @Emily3907 I have SO pinned that crustless pumpkin recipe. I might try cream cheese or Greek yogurt instead of the condensed milk as I am more likely to have them around the house.

Pinterest is exactly where I found them! This time of year I love me some pumpkin pie and I liked that these were "single serve", so easy to portion control. My husband doesn't eat pumpkin pie, so making six of them for a week of pre-planned desserts worked out perfect!

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I went to the store and bought like different protein bars, Clifs, PowerBar, ThinkThin, Promax, Lenny & Larry, Zone Perfect, and Luna bars and I was wondering are things good as desserts instead of eating a chocolate bar, brownie, cake, cookie ect.?

OK

One I don't do protein bars ..I get my protein from Greek yogurt, meat and other foods

And two none of things you have mentioned are desserts in my head...they are all snacks or things to have with a mug of tea

A dessert for me is
    170g 0% fat Greek yogurt and 150g fresh berries ...protein and fibre hit
    An ice cream ...remarkably low calorie for the pleasure
    I'm now drawing a blank on desserts ...ummm oooo baked banana and ice cream and berries or yogurt and berries
  • jissellc
    jissellc Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Something that helps satisfy my sweet tooth is the Dole Dippers. They are strawberries or bananas covered in chocolate. The strawberry pack is only 60 calories and the banana pack is 100 calories.

I keep looking at these in the store, but haven't made the leap to try them. Are they mushy? I don't like mushy fruit. But I LOVE chocolate covered strawberries.

Not at all. They are quite the opposite actually lol. I have sensitive teeth so I have to eat them very delicately. They aren't hard as rocks. Its like biting into a cold candy bar.
  • teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Some of those protein bars are pretty calorie dense. I'd rather fit in a real dessert a few times a week.

I had a delicious dessert yesterday that was only about 100-150 calories called Affogato. It's a scoop of Gelato drowned in a shot of espresso. omg so good.
  • Emily3907
    Options

Not at all. They are quite the opposite actually lol. I have sensitive teeth so I have to eat them very delicately. They aren't hard as rocks. Its like biting into a cold candy bar.

Mmmm....new dessert idea for me! Yay!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options

I don't like Quest bars, and they are not cheap either. I tried several flavors, as suggested in the forums, but I never understood why people like them so much, and I never had a Cliff bar. Honestly, I don't care for any protein bar, specially for desert, because in my opinion they have too many calories and I don't care much for chocolate either. I prefer fruit with cottage cheese or Fage for desert, or home made applesauce, sugar free gelatin desert with whipped cream or a little ice cream on occasion.
  • jissellc
    jissellc Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Mmmm....new dessert idea for me! Yay!

:) glad I could help. I find they satisfy a sweet tooth pretty well since the fruit themselves are pretty sweet and the dark chocolate adds some more flavor. Something else I like to make is blending one frozen banana (or 1 and a half, whichever fits your calories/liking of course), a small bit of soy milk or almond milk (I use this because it has less calories and I'm lactose intolerant), and a tablespoon of cacao powder. It has the consistency of ice cream, depending on how much milk you use. At time, I've added some strawberry pieces for more flavor.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    1 smore =220 cal 1 sheet Nabisco Graham Cracker broken in 1/2 1/2 hershey chocolate bar 2 marshmellows=220 cal. So delicious. I have one weekly
    yummy. B)
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Protein bars are really more meal replacements or heavy snacks IMHO. I enjoy the Think Thin chunky PB for breakfast if I am short on time. Cliff bars are more like a glorified granola bar - again a good take along snack if you are running late or going hiking, etc. Some of the Luna and Balance Bars are pretty tasty - more dessert like. Balance has a Dark Chocolate Coconut that to me tastes like a candy bar, but with the benefit of better macronutrients. I have been known to have one of the lower calorie (150 or so) bars as a "dessert" if I want something sweet but still want to hit my macros for the day. But I'd rather have a small amount of real dessert - some ice cream, dark chocolate, or a real cookie.

You can eat them however you like, just log them and they won't make you gain weight if they fit into your daily goals.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I like Fiber One protein bars, which really do seem just like candy bars, and the little Fiber One brownies. I basically view them as treats w/a little extra nutritional benefit. I've tried the Cliff bars and thought they were hard & unpleasant. Personally, I wouldn't want to make any of them a diet staple, since there are often other foods I'd rather have for the calorie buck. And so expensive for so little!
  • bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If I want a yummy low calorie dessert I eat a 3-2-1 mug cake with a tablespoon of whipped icing. Its about 100 calories and hits the spot. My favorite is chocolate or red velvet cake with whipped cream cheese icing. All it take is a box of angel food cake and a box of any other cake mix. Mix both boxes together and then take 3 tablespoons of mix combine with 2 tablespoons water and cook in the microwave for 1 minute. 3-2-1. Easy as...Cake!!! Top with favorite frosting or cool whip or whip cream or jam or anything really! Yummy
  • Emily3907
    Options
    bakemma wrote: »
    If I want a yummy low calorie dessert I eat a 3-2-1 mug cake with a tablespoon of whipped icing. Its about 100 calories and hits the spot. My favorite is chocolate or red velvet cake with whipped cream cheese icing. All it take is a box of angel food cake and a box of any other cake mix. Mix both boxes together and then take 3 tablespoons of mix combine with 2 tablespoons water and cook in the microwave for 1 minute. 3-2-1. Easy as...Cake!!! Top with favorite frosting or cool whip or whip cream or jam or anything really! Yummy

This is another fave of mine! I keep gallon ziploc bags of different flavors in an airtight container. Good stuff.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've always thought as a gluten free, higher protein and light dessert, that a pavlova suits nicely.

The creamy trifle as well can be made lighter and is so refreshing. On first taste my hubby was in love.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    teanahk wrote: »
    Some of those protein bars are pretty calorie dense. I'd rather fit in a real dessert a few times a week.

I had a delicious dessert yesterday that was only about 100-150 calories called Affogato. It's a scoop of Gelato drowned in a shot of espresso. omg so good.

OMG! I want!!!!