Running with a Garmin

Options
Does anyone run with a Garmin? I am thinking of purchasing one for my outside running to help me acheive my goals. I already use a HRM but I have no idea how fast or how far I am running. Thoughts?!?

Replies

• Vkoons3
    Vkoons3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin but have not used it for running yet! Was wodering about that myself
  • mag1c
    mag1c Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use an app on my android named JogTracker. Works great for exactly what you are trying to do.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I don't have one but I have been wanting one as well, but I wanted to say, I love you shoes, LOL
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 and use it when I run. It will change your life! :smile:
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I have a Garming FR60...not a GPS version...I can use the HRM for general exercise and it tracks my distance, pace etc while running...love it...it is perfect for my needs and allows me to just set out to run...I can go out for a long run with no specific course in mind and I can just run...I check my traveled distance every song or two and decide which way to turn next...I have a few known distances...ie a corner that is 1.8 miles from home...so if I am shooting for 8 miles...as long as I somehow hit 6.2 before that corner I am good....love the freedom it gives me to have a structred run but still feel free.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 305 with chest HRM. I love it. LOVE.

I still don't know how to use all the features yet. But it tells me pace. Time. Speed. Distance. There is a training module to run against another virtual runner. Apparently there's a "find home" function if you get lost. You can download your runs to the software and then race against yourself. It tells you calories burned too. I have read reports that the calories burned is low. They do seem a little low I guess. Heart rate is perfect. matches my MIO within a beat. So it must be the calculation.

Anyway, I love it.
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Just today I learned about a site called mapmyrun.com. I was disappointed that the HRM I just bought didn't have a GPS, but this site helps you know how long your routes are!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I run with a Garmin 310XT. My opinion is that a GPS is one of the best additions to training a runner can make. The model I have allows you to pre-program training runs so that you can get the desired training effect. It alerts you with a tone and vibration when the pace is too fast or slow or the heart rate is too fast or slow. It also tells you when to stop, either by distance or time. I generally program multi effort runs and simply let the watch tell me when to increase or decrease running effort.
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    The Garmins that use GPS don't use your heart rate to figure your calorie burn. The chest strap is only so you can monitor your heart rate and stay in your 'zone'.

I have the Garmin FR60 with a foot pod. It's fairly accurate as long as your speed stays about the same. I run intervals and it has some trouble with that, not terrible, but not totally accurate.

I'd love to know if there's a GPS watch out there that uses your heart rate. Polar's site doesn't mention it.

I've come to the conclusion that I'll need a separate GPS and just use my FR60 for my heart rate.
  • scottb81
    Options
    The Garmins that use GPS don't use your heart rate to figure your calorie burn. The chest strap is only so you can monitor your heart rate and stay in your 'zone'.

I have the Garmin FR60 with a foot pod. It's fairly accurate as long as your speed stays about the same. I run intervals and it has some trouble with that, not terrible, but not totally accurate.

I'd love to know if there's a GPS watch out there that uses your heart rate. Polar's site doesn't mention it.

I've come to the conclusion that I'll need a separate GPS and just use my FR60 for my heart rate.
    The more expensive Garmins measure calorie burn by heartrate.
  • scottb81
    Options
    This site has very good reviews on all the Garmins. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/p/product-reviews.html
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 and use it when I run. It will change your life! :smile:

Agreed!

I got the Garmin FR 305 with GPS for Christmas from my folks and it's amazing! It's a little bulky for my small wrists but it's so awesome. Not only can you monitor your pace and distance, but it will tell you your overall pace and your best pace. you can set alerts so it will chime if you fall below your set pace.... you can set timing alerts...

It really is a great tool for running outside!

it's definitely worth it!
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options

This!

I got mine as a gift at the beginning of the year and it has taken my casual running to the next level. I have the Garmin 305 as well with the HRM strap.
  • kjb0976
    kjb0976 Posts: 68
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am thinking this will help me with my training more than anything else at this point. I hate it that I have no idea what my pace is while running outside. The treadmill (I refer to it as some not so nice words) bores me!

Thanks for the compliment on my shoes.. Love them. Asics Gel-Noosa Tri 6. They beat the heck out of the Mizzuno I was running in.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I've been an early adopter of every Garmin model they've had. I can't wait to get the new 610!

Get one for sure, they are awesome. I would expect lots of guys like me to be ditching their 405s as soon as the 610s become readily available = good deals on those models.
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I use it, it's amazing, I have a garmin 4runner, excellent for outdoors & objectives
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    My garmin 310xt is my favorite piece of running gear ever. I feel naked without it.
  • nursekj
    nursekj Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Garmin or iphone with the running app?? Bothh are pretty exp but I would hate for it to rain and ruin a phone! What do people reccommend?
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Garmin or iphone with the running app?? Bothh are pretty exp but I would hate for it to rain and ruin a phone! What do people reccommend?

Definitely Garmin. I've found it to be more accurate than any of the GPS apps I've used with my iPhone.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I got a garmin 410 for Christmas along with a comparable HRM. It's, by far, the best fitness investment I've ever made. I ran a 10k at the end of November and after training properly with the garmin I've shaved off 8 minutes of my race time (i ran another 10k last week) It's so nice knowing exactly how far, fast, calories burned, HR. And it's all saved in the watch until you upload it to your computer. I'd HIGHLY recommend one. You won't be disappointed