Starving before period...anyone else? Tips?

Options
2»

Replies

• katiepaff
    katiepaff Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I ate half a pint of coconut ice cream last night. Threw the rest of it out and trying to eat really clean today.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Okay, we're all different and we're all affected differently by hormones. But IMHO if you feel physically ill from lack of food during the lead-up to your period, you're probably eating at too steep a deficit. A modest deficit of 15-20% from your maintenance level (which is what is usually recommended for weight loss) shouldn't cause you to feel dizzy or shaky, even during PMS.

I eat 20% above maintenance during that time and feel dizzy and shaky.

So yeah. It happens. I guess I'm one of the unlucky few. Thankfully it's only that bad for a couple days, usually, and in between I can tough it out.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Either tough it out or eat more. I more before and less after. I'm not really hungry after it begins and naturally don't want as much food, so it all works out. Way over before and way under after. :)

Me too. Exactly the same.
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    katiepaff wrote: »
    Anyone else want to eat the world right before and during their period? Do you eat anymore calories and allow yourself indulgences, or stick to your regular calorie allowance? I'm wondering if I should try to remain firm or listen to my body and indulge a little? Also, does your willpower to work out wane during this time? It took everything in me today to do my work out at all...

This is at least the third post about this in the last two days (including mine) lol.

We all must have a similar cycle.

I'm pre menstrual and am starving right now! I've started pre logging to make sure I'm getting enough protein and I'm going out tonight to have some fried foods and beer that fit into my calorie allotment (ahhhh... The joys of pre planning are new to me).

I don't want pms to cause me to lose my progress or the better habits I'm picking up.

Good luck !
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I try, the keyword is try, to eat more healthy stuff like a larger salad and perhaps add extra protein to it to keep me fuller, longer. I will always on those days leave about 100-200 calories for chocolate because that often helps calm the raging hormones a bit. I have been known to string out a fun size bag of M&Ms out for a long time!
  • cgangl1821
    cgangl1821 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Personally, I give myself the two days that need or crave the extra food. I ended up going over by 900 cal in 2 days. Not my finest days. But I made sure to have a 600 IF day after, when I felt more like myself. I will balance it out through the rest of the week and make my daily walk a little longer. I am not going to beat myself up about it. It happened, now I am moving on.
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I ate almost at maintenance yesterday. But today I'm barely hungry. I guess I'm balanced out. Thank goodness I'm hardly hungry during my period.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Yeah I usually am not hungry when I get my period either. I end up craving salty food a few days beforehand, which is strange for me because the rest of the month I usually have a sweet tooth. But when I have it, I lose my appetite and end up wanting to exercise more. So yeah, it does tend to balance out.

Having said that, I don't indulge during PMS. I'm at maintenance now, but even when I was losing, I didn't let myself go over my calories. No excuses. :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yes. And honestly, who knows what I do anymore. Half the time I think I'm in a deficit but I'm not, sometimes I'm in maintenance and losing.

I bank a lot of calories for the evenings and kind of deal with the hunger during the day.