Group fitness question - what would you do?

Options
I've been going to a particular zumba class 2-3 times per week for about 2 years. I love it, it makes me happy and the instructor is my favorite. About 6 weeks ago a new woman started coming to the class who reeks of cigarette smoke. She picks a spot in the very middle of the room. It's a very full class. I am really sensitive to the smell so i try to go as far away from her as possible but since she always stands in the middle i can smell her no matter where i am. I want to ask her to pick a side of the room so i can pick the other side and enjoy my favorite class but i don't want it to come off as bitchy or rude. What would you do?

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Nothing. What you're talking about is very rude. I've never seen anyone do anything like that.

Deal with it or switch to another class.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Unfortunately smokers usually don't comprehend how bad they smell and how it affects others. I don't see it going well if you try and tell her to pick a side. Hopefully she'll lose interest soon and you can enjoy your class again.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Personally I would just deal with it.

About the only thing I can think of is perhaps you can ask your instructor to speak to the woman? She might hear it better from the teacher than a ticked off group member.
  • ahealthiercara
    ahealthiercara Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to just deal with it for the last 6 weeks. By the last half of class my eyes are burning from it. I've had to leave early a couple of times. I'm hesitant to get the instructor involved since it really isn't her issue but i have considered talking to her to see what she thinks.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I sympathize with your discomfort, but there's no way for you - or the instructor - to make a request like that without being offensive. I don't even know how the instructor would approach that.

(Like if she were smoking inside the building, someone could obviously tell her to stop. But she's not, she's just going to a class in her gym clothes.)

You could tell your instructor that you've got some kind of chemical sensitivity and are having a hard time with some odours in the class, and maybe ask for better ventilation. The instructor could crack open a window (if it's not cold where you live and doesn't bother others), or talk to management about a fan or air purifier.

That's expensive, though, good luck with that. (I suggested that my gym's manager consider putting more than two spray bottles in the gym, and nothing's happened with that. And that would cost like $5 at the dollar store.) But maybe you'll have better luck.

(The smell of cigarette smoke is pretty bad, but most people's eyes don't water in the presence of a smoker's clothing, not even second-hand smoke. It does seem possible that you do actually have a chemical sensitivity. Worth investigating, maybe. If you knew that for sure, you could maybe approach the smoker, and tell her that, and apologize profusely for the request. She's likely to be offended even then, though. Most smokers already feel pretty bad about smoking and about themselves for smoking.)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Other than asking the instructor to open a window, if this is an option, I doubt you can do much more. I have only heard once of an instructor having a talk with a client, because this client clearly had a personal hygiene problem and there were several people complaining repeatedly and in groups (I did not witness the talk obviously, but after several complaints the instructor promised she would handle it, and the problem was in fact solved). But it was like people loudly complaining during the class about the need to open windows, and then groups of 5-6 people waiting after the class to complain to the instructor. I cannot imagine that a single person complaining about cigarette smell on clothes would be something an instructor would interfere with.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Nothing. What you're talking about is very rude. I've never seen anyone do anything like that.

Deal with it or switch to another class.

This
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,990 Member
    Options
    Is there a fan? Can you position yourself near the fan?

Or ... in the old days when people didn't bathe, the wealthy used to carry a small bouquet of flowers if they had to be out and about among the masses. Can you spritz yourself with a no-smoke air freshener?
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    It's a crowded class and you're the only one complaining? If it is that bad, all the class members should talk to the instructor about the situation. If it is only you, deal or leave.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I think this is one of those things you just have to put up with.

Sounds annoying, but I don't see a way of tackling it without upsetting someone and making the atmosphere in the room worse than it is for you now.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I think this is one of those things you just have to put up with.

Yes. Just one of those things.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Maybe there are others that are bothered too but also afraid to say anything? In a group setting like that, I think it is rude of a person to show up reeking, whether it's from cigarette smoke or BO, or whatever.
  • ahealthiercara
    ahealthiercara Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I don't know if other people are sensitive but I don't think anyone's said anything. I try to notice if anyone else avoids standing near her and I can't really tell. I may try spritzing myself with an essential oil before class and see if it helps. I am somewhat chemically sensitive - the deodorizers they use in the bathrooms really affect me too. I'm guessing I'd have more success getting those switched out than dealing with another patron.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Move away from her. She smokes. Deal with it.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Mention it to the instructor, and let the instructor decide how to deal with it. Lots of people are sensitive to different smells, and you never know -- the instructor may decide to ask the woman not to attend, or to move to a different spot. (I mean, be prepared to have to stop going to the class, but you might be pleasantly surprised and have your issue solved by the instructor). I used to work in a Pilates studio that was owned by a woman who was very chemically sensitive, and we regularly asked clients not to wear perfume/scented lotion/etc.
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    As an instructor for 18 years, and one of a very sensitive nose, there isn't much that can be done. We welcome everyone to our classes, our facility. We try not to pinpoint one person and ask them to leave because they smell. We never know the story of why they come to us. We may be the only positive thing happening in their lives, they may be in a horrible and stressful situation and smoke to calm themselves down. The class they are taking may be the boost they need to feel good about themselves and stop smoking all together. If they are approached, they will feel embarrassed and never come back. It doesn't matter how nice you say it, it will be hurtful to them. Most everyone who smokes knows how bad it is for them. Maybe this class is their turning point and you may be the person who inspires them to come back. Each time a person works out, they feel better. If this person stays with exercise, most likely they will start to slow down on smoking and may not smoke one before they come in because of how well they feel. It's hard for a person to smoke and get 100% out of their workouts, some people it just takes longer to realize it. Maybe try to get to class and find a spot at the furthest part of the room before that person even walks in. At lease you won't be behind their path. This is a very touchy subject for many. It is irritating, I myself, can't stand the smell of smoke and is bothered by it too. I have never asked someone to leave a class because they have an odor. I would turn the exhaust fan on to circulate air out of room or open a window
  • NicolaMichelle93
    NicolaMichelle93 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Smear a bit of Vaseline/ Vick's (or any other smelling cream/ ointment) just under your nose and it's all you'll be able to smell. Problem Solved! I used this tactic when I was in anatomy classes at Uni. Worked a treat.
    Other than that, it's a difficult situation. You don't want to put the instructor in an awkward situation or be rude to the other person in the class. Maybe place yourself by a window?