Tapioca

Hi. I am newbie here, just wondered if anybody has ever heard of the benefits (gluten free, very low level of saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium and specially good for pregnancy) or tried tapioca before and how difficult to get it in the UK and US markets. Thanks in advance for any helpful insight.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Only in things that have high levels of sugar and added fats. Pudding, pies, etc.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Mmmmm yummy frogs eggs lol my nan used to make tapioca pudding for me when I was a kid!!!.......but she made it with lots of sugar and milk lol
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Sold on Amazon. In South Florida the whole root is available in grocery stoes in the Spanish speaking parts of time. Apparently Asian markets carry it too. Often called cassava or yuca/ yucca. It can have a laxative effect for some.
    http://communitytable.parade.com/156299/ericadinho/10-sweet-and-savory-yuca-recipes/
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Of course. It's not hard to find in the US at all, it's pretty much in every grocery store. I loved it as a kid.
  • rcavalcanti
    rcavalcanti Posts: 7 Member
    edited October 2015
    Thanks for the answers. I see cassava/manioc/yuka as a well known and versatile product and the source of tapioca.
    As per my basic research, the tapioca starch can be rendered to make a powdered opaque tapioca flour, tapioca pearls and tapioca flakes.
    So, whereas in Asian is usually found in flour and used mainly for sweets, puddings (or sometimes noodles in few countries as per replies), in South America the plant has mostly been used since the indigenous people as a roasted granular meal (farinha, fariña) or a low-alcoholic beer but in modern days in Brazil it can also be used either as a sour flour (polvilho azedo) for the preparation of bread (typically, cheese bread rolls in the southeast), as a fried cassava sticks for nibbles, or beijú, the latter presented as tiny pearls initially cooked in the northeast in the shape of a taco, served only with butter at the breakfast, but it has now become widely spread over the country as a popular gluten free, low cholesterol alternative and can now be filled in savoury and sweet options, and be found in most of food markets or even sold by ambulants as a street snack.
    However, my assumption was that, apart from ethnic markets, you can't find it very easily in greater chains such as Wal-Mart, Whole Foods, Tesco, Waitrose etc. Anyone have a clue?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    No, like aditarose said, it's basically in every grocery in the US. Tapioca is a common ingredient in pudding and is used as a thickener in fruit pies, etc. You can get the pearls for sure, flour is a little less common, don't think I've seen it in flakes.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    In the pacific, we eat it as a starch accompaniment to a protein. Kind of like a potato, so the benefits would be similar.

I hope this doesn't become a faddy "superfood" like coconut.
  • Camomilejane
    Camomilejane Posts: 55 Member
    My mum used to make it and I loved it! I wouldn't make, as I would eat it all!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Easy enough to find here in Canada, though I haven't gone looking for a while. I find it in the baking aisle along with the puddings. It also may be found in the cooler section alongside rice pudding.

Our family by generation has a love/hate relationship with creamy style puddings. I'd also include in here rice puddings. My mom and dad hated it, having been served one too many portions during the depression. I love it. My daughter and granddaughter hate it. My daughter hates all things white and creamy including yogurts, cream cheeses, whipped toppings, etc. Since my granddaughter is also not a fan, perhaps the pudding making heritage will die with me. *sigh*

For me it's the ultimate comfort food.

I think chia soaked in milk is similar in texture, and also comes with side benefits (very high in soluble fiber).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I don't know about other benefits than "yummy", but that's important too, right? It's very easy to find here in Norway, I buy it from ethnic shops. I use it for pudding/dessert, with brown sugar butter and maple syrup.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Why is gluten free a benefit if you are not celiac?
  • rcavalcanti
    It seems that gluten and lacto free products have become trendy (especially in Brazil) even if you have no adverse reaction to gluten or lactose. This somehow explains why tapioca is booming, but it has also digestive benefits, regardless if you are celiac or not.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I see cassava/tapioca is native to Brazil, so this choice little root fits right in to the Brazilian food guidelines.
  • rcavalcanti
    "Tapioqueiras" in northeastern part of Brazil preparing the street beijú
  • rcavalcanti
    And the sweet version, home prepared with chocolate filling
  • rcavalcanti
    edited October 2015
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I see cassava/tapioca is native to Brazil, so this choice little root fits right in to the Brazilian food guidelines.
    Very helpful, thanks a ton