Recomp and loose skin?

I'm getting close to my goal weight and I have some loose skin. I'm starting to recomp because I want to feel less jiggly. Does anyone know if recomping will help tone loose skin as well as muscle?

Replies

• Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    I would like to know that, too. Thanks for asking the question.
  • Carnhot
    This article has some interesting suggestions

http://www.healthyandnaturalworld.com/ways-to-tighten-skin-after-weight-loss/

though I am a bit :/ about how visualising tightened skin could possibly help.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Yeah, the suggestions to get the book "Magical Aromatherapy" (which she just happens to be the author of) as well as "Visualize Tight Skin" where enough for me to take a pass, even though some of the other suggestions were - if not completely valid - at least not harmful. ;)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    That loose skin will start to tighten up anyway after a while as the body adapts to the lower weight but exercising really helps :smile:
  • melanconme
    melanconme Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for the ideas and hope.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    I had loose skin on my arms, stomach and thighs. It pretty much all tightened up within about 6-9 months, apart from pregnancy stretch marks. I didn't use any special creams or exercises or whatnot. I just started working out, and my body adjusted. I've not idea if the working out helped even.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    I guess it depends how old you are. I've been maintaining for a year and the loose skin is all totally still there. X(
    I only had 30 lb to lose, IDK why it's so stubborn.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2015
    Yes and no .. Recomp answer from someone doing that right now.

After a period of time, the skin will tighten up some, but the areas that has some fat still hanging around under neath it still needs some extra attention, like more replacement of that fat with additional muscle.

Recomp makes this most slowest possible thing to achieve because the muscle growth and burning of the fat at the same time is ole so slow, just like getting rid of the cottage cheese look from the butt and legs (it does go away but for example I still have 5 -6 months of recomp before smooth skin is officially relevant.. but the proof is in the pudding for me and the before and afters I have been taking for the past 5 months show significant improvement in the cellulite and hard to define areas like inner thighs, triceps, lower butt and upper/back thighs).

But, there are 2 areas on me that no matter how hard I exercise and what those exercises are, they are the absolute last to loose that extra fat storage and the skin will just have to tighten up as much as it will over the course of time..
  • I had loose skin on my arms, stomach and thighs. It pretty much all tightened up within about 6-9 months, apart from pregnancy stretch marks. I didn't use any special creams or exercises or whatnot. I just started working out, and my body adjusted. I've not idea if the working out helped even.
    I am so please to see this as I have given myself next year (although I have already started) to get rid of my excess skin, I am over the moon to read your post, thanks
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    I had loose skin on my arms, stomach and thighs. It pretty much all tightened up within about 6-9 months, apart from pregnancy stretch marks. I didn't use any special creams or exercises or whatnot. I just started working out, and my body adjusted. I've not idea if the working out helped even.
    I am so please to see this as I have given myself next year (although I have already started) to get rid of my excess skin, I am over the moon to read your post, thanks

No problem! I was actually perfectly happy to live with the loose skin. It didn't bother me, and I didn't even notice that it had gone. DH did!!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    @dopeysmelly fantastic NSV of sorts :smile:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I'm over 50, lost 40 pounds, and all my jigglies and looser skin disappeared after 5 months or so. Breast firmed up too. I just walked. So I have no doubt more serious exercise would do you even better. Good luck!
  • Carnhot
    I am 52 & have lost 55 lb. I am glad that there is hope for me.
  • eastbaypunk
    eastbaypunk Posts: 1 Member
    I have just turned 31 and after 10st loss and 4 babies had to much skin that would not go resorted to tummy tuck 5 months post op now and having to go for a reop as I still have remaining SAGGY skin
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    i lost 150 pounds no amount of recomp will save me

but my legs are less jiggly then they use to be
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    I lost 80 pounds about 6 years ago. I still have a lot of loose skin, but it improves a little each year.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Im 39, Male, lost 100lbs and I got loose skin on my butt, stomach, under my chin, and my pecs. I just a weight training routine and I'm giving myself a year. If it is no better in a year I will look at surgery.
  • Carnhot wrote: »
    I am 52 & have lost 55 lb. I am glad that there is hope for me.

I am one year older and gave lost one pound more than you we must be sista's lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I lost 80 pounds and have been maintaining for over a year (lost 1.5 inch on my hips and waist since). If anything, the more inches I lose, the worse the skin looks...
  • rtp_slg52181
    rtp_slg52181 Posts: 73 Member
    edited October 2015
    It takes up to 3years at your goal weight for your skin to tighten up if you have lost a significant amount. The amount of time you were at the larger time will also factor into of it will all tighten up.