Hypothyroidism and Weight Loss

Options
Hey ya'll.

So, I just turned 20 years old, and I've recently made a huge change in my life... to revamp my relationship with food and exercise while I maintain my Hypothryoidism.

As you may, it is sort of impossible to lose weight with this disease. I find it hard to do even when I am on my medication (Synthroid). Last summer, I weighed 279. I quit working at Dunkin Donuts, went back to school, and came back this May, 30 pounds lighter. Go figure for a college student, right? Anywho, on May 18th, I started my journey for reals. I've lost about 8 pounds so far, averaging a little more thatn 2 pounds per week. I'm super proud of myself.

I've pretty much found that in order to maintain a healthy life with Hypothyroidism, I MUST exercise to keep myself energized and happy. This is a good change, overall.

I'm at a point where I'm upset that I'm not losing weight as fast enough in the beginning as some people. I now weigh 242.8 lbs, and I don't feel like it. Maybe it's just me be being shadowed by my past body? Who knows.

I would love some support from some fellow Hypos. Haha, hypos.

Keep on doing your thang, everybody! <3

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos Hypoythyroid and Lupus, so I definitely know how you feel as far as the frustration goes, but just know that it IS possible! I look to Jillian Michaels of the Biggest Loser as inspiration. She also battles hypothyroidism, and she is incredible! Change is possible, and we can do it!
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    omg really?? I <3 JM I did not know that! I too have thyroid issues. I was diagnosed with graves disease (hyperthyroid) But had to have the radioactive iodine and since then my metabolism SUCKS, not currently on any meds, they say my levels are :normal" Ya right!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I had a semi-thyroidectomy in1996 and have been on synthroid since. It is true that we must exercise more than the average person to lose weight. Find the foods that work well with your body and you will be successful. Good luck!
  • JenLovesHerChis
    Options
    I too have hypothyroidism and am battling my weight loss. I know it's possible and that we all can do it, but it's frustrating that it takes that much longer and is that much harder. I just started my journey 11 days ago and have lost 6 lbs. I'm thrilled that I got that much off in that time, as I expected it to be slower going, but I know I have a long road ahead, as I am trying to lose 100lbs. This site is great for keeping yourself accountable and support. Please feel free, anyone, too add me as a freind.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm also hypo :smile: Am on Levothyroxine. Lost 19.2 on MFP since Jan & just reached goal of 130 yesterday......it is possible but you have to put it the extra *bit*

Sue :smile: x
  • Sanya77
    Sanya77 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid and my maximum weight was 155 lbs. just dropped to 143.4 today. yes we can do it.
  • pammyedmunds
    pammyedmunds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    How did you find out that you have a Thyroid problem?? Do you just ask your gp to test you?
  • Sanya77
    Sanya77 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    How did you find out that you have a Thyroid problem?? Do you just ask your gp to test you?
    I was sleepy all day, missed my period, very lethargic and gaining weight . My Dr. suggested for blood work and then they found my Thyroid condition.
  • kkmonkey
    kkmonkey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I gound out I had Hypothyroidism a year and half ago. It took over a year to get my medicine dosage right which caused me to gain 40lbs more. No matter how much I tried to loose weight during that time, I would just gain it instead. So now that my medicine has stabalized I am trying even harder to loose. It's good to know that I am not the only one with this problem and seeing others actually loose the weight motivates me even more. SOmetiems it gets so frustrating and I get discouraged but I am trying to keep my head up.

Yes Pammyedmunds, you ask your doc to be tested. All they do is blood work. I was really tired and gaining weight and very slugish so I did some research (I knew a few people who had their thyroid tested for similar reasons) and I talked to my doc and that's how I found out.
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Another hypo here.....lol

I was diagnosed over 10 years ago and I take synthroid.

Weight loss is possible just slow for me.

Eating clean and exercise seems to work for me.

I'm sending you a friend request.

Karen
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's Hypothyroid too and am on synthroid. It's certainly not easy to lose weight but it can be done. Feel free to add me if you want!
  • leonardk09
    leonardk09 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with my thryoid disease 2 and a half years ago. It's also hereditary. My uncle suffers from Type II Diabetes, and Hypothyroidism. My mother was also recently diagnosed with Hypo. I've been chubby ever since I was born, so I'm pretty sure my body is just made to be heavy set. I took a few blood tests when I was 18, and that's when my doctor told me. I had no idea my family even had a history of Thyroid disease. It's definitely a surprise, but there are a ton of symptoms that can trigger an assumption for it: easy weight gain, fatigue, muscle aches, ect.
  • leonardk09
    leonardk09 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with my thryoid disease 2 and a half years ago. It's also hereditary. My uncle suffers from Type II Diabetes, and Hypothyroidism. My mother was also recently diagnosed with Hypo. I've been chubby ever since I was born, so I'm pretty sure my body is just made to be heavy set. I took a few blood tests when I was 18, and that's when my doctor told me. I had no idea my family even had a history of Thyroid disease. It's definitely a surprise, but there are a ton of symptoms that can trigger an assumption for it: easy weight gain, fatigue, muscle aches, ect.
  • crissa413
    crissa413 Posts: 67
    Options
    I am hypo too, was diagnosed in December and have been on Synthroid since. Weight loss is definitely possible, just a little more challenging than others. All of you feel free to add me for support!
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    My mum, youngest sister & I all have it. Always have to be careful what we eat but my greatest probem is always feeling cold......
  • jataijah
    jataijah Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I had my thyroid removed a few years ago when I found out I had thyroid cancer. I've lost 45lbs since January so it is possible to lose weight with thyroid issues. I'm constantly getting my levels checked. We still haven't found the perfect dosage of synthroid so we just keep tweaking it. I try to exercise at least 45-60mins 6 days a week sometimes twice a day. I've personally found that cutting back on carbs and sugar has made a world of difference for me.
  • barefootgardener
    Options
    I take 150mgs a day, my thyroid is just a dead hunk in my neck : ( I absolutely understand the frustrations with loosing weight when your thyroid is crappy. our weights are similar. can i friend you?
  • barefootgardener
    Options
    i have hashimotos too.
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    I also have Hypo and on Synthroid. It is possible. I started out on the treadmill. Then when I built endurance I went to slim in 6 then to P90X. I only list those because I have gotten the best results when I switched to hour long work outs. So I agree with others that have posted that we have to work out longer and harder. My husband can have a salad for dinner, not work out and drop 10 pounds. Me, I have to work out 6 days a week for an hour or longer. Best advice I could give. Measure. Sometimes the scale does not move for me for weeks on end. But I lose a 1/2 to an 1 inch a week. So I try not to weigh that much. But I measure weekly and log it.
  • AliciaNorris81
    AliciaNorris81 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Oh... fellow hypos. I know you all feel me when I say this....THIS SUCKS! But I am trying to make the best of it. I am down 24 pounds and hope to be down 78 more within the next year.

I have a love hate relationship with it. I love that I know what was stopping me from losing weight. After YEARS I finally got it figured out.

The hate...Everything else about it.

But, keeping active is very important. I have found that I feel better about myself and physically when I get up and move. Now that I have a pool, and hour of water aerobics a day is in my future! In the winter, I will have to pay to go to the public pool for it.

Keep it up everyone! I know it is possible. :)