Can you make up for a bad day with a complimentary day?

Options
Say you are over or under your calorie goal one day, is it helpful or pointless to be under or over the next day (on purpose) so that between the two days it's the correct total?

Replies

• Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You can do that, well within reason. A lot of people on here purposely zig zag calories to keep their bodies guessing. I know it works for me (well before vacation!).
  • cawfeesong
    cawfeesong Posts: 34
    Options
    I would love to know this too because I had a bad day yesterday and today I went way under calories.
  • cawfeesong
    cawfeesong Posts: 34
    Options
    I would love to know this too because I had a bad day yesterday and today I went way under calories.
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers allows you to do this and it's worked for me, so within reason I believe so. After all, it's about the big picture :).
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    If you're looking at your calories intake over a week and doing weekly weigh in I would say it's not pointless,but worth doing to get you back on track. Though personally I wouldn't make a habit of it.
  • jsausau
    jsausau Posts: 4
    Options
    No, its not! Just move on and each day do your best on reaching your goal. Your body will adjust, but consistency is the best to allow your body to get used to your routine. Don't get discouraged, just work just as hard on your exercise and keep your food goals consistent. Everyone deserves a "cheat day", as long as your pushing yourself the other days!!

That's just my two sense!! Keep on pushing, you'll reach your goals soon enough!!

God Bless,
    js
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I think many people here would tell you no but in my opinion, yes I think it's perfectly fine. Not that you should make a habit of overeating often, and starving yourself the next day because of it, but sure, if you go over by a couple hundred one day, and stay below by the a couple hundred in the next day or so, it balances itself out. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

ETA: It's also okay to just go over sometimes, and NOT "make it up" ... just move forward and keep doing the thing!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    If you're talking one day, it isn't going to matter. We didn't gain/lose weigh in one day. Those that say they lost "x" amt. in a day, that's more like water weight, usually from sodium.

You can do that, though. It is what they call zig zagging. Some have had success with it. I kind of do that, but stretch it further to where it's Saturday that I splurge. The other 6 days, I'm pretty much within range of my settings.

Here's the key to it all: find what works for you! What works for another may not work for your body. Also, you may not stick with it...which isn't successful. Do what works and what you're going to stick with and you'll succeed.

Good luck!
  • missxchelly
    missxchelly Posts: 180
    Options
    Well when I was on Weight Watchers -- they say "no." Just make sure you eat all of your calories.
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I think it's okay to do this. A lot of people recommend it because if you have many good days and then a bad day, it kind of kick starts your metabolism to make it faster!