Starting again for the millionth time, looking for some friends.

Options
I'm jump starting with a 5day pack of nutrisystem, just to see if it's something I'd be able to do. Day one ain't too bad so far. I'm also planning on buying one of those fancy meal measure tool things for when I'm not doing nutrisystem because that is a hard thing to maintain.

I'd like to make some friends on here who also have had some pretty constant struggles.

Replies

• starjams
    starjams Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm also starting again for the millionth time. Every day is a new opportunity, right? Lol
    I won't buy any prefab diet plan and constantly try to plan my meals and do the prep work myself. I feel it's better choices. I usually do pretty well up until Wednesday. Then it just all goes south!
  • Ardrayda3
    Ardrayda3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Starting again for the MILLIONTH time! I felt completely defeated yesterday, when an older lady tried to make me remember her by saying that I wasn't nearly as big as I was when we met several years ago. So, here I am again trying to dig myself out of my feelings and trying to take control of my weight, instead of my weight controlling me.
  • bandedup
    bandedup Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ditto. When I started back up this time I had to add ten pounds to my old weight
  • meadhbh7
    meadhbh7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Also starting again. My hardest thing is the diet. This is what I need to focus on the most-lifestyle change! Please feel free to add me if anyone is looking for motivational friends!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    If one is consistently starting over, it's for one main reason...............lack of commitment. One can desire to change, but that's not the same as being committed to change. One can lapse once in awhile, but if one is consistent on a plan that's designed to reach a reasonable goal, success will happen. Where people fail is that they become inconsistent for awhile and quit, but a committed person will only see this as a small deterrence. Buckle up and just get it done. If someone hesitates to believe they can do it, then they may not be ready for commitment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • penimony
    penimony Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just want to feel healthy. I have a very hectic and crazy life with little control over choices made. I am making a HUGE effort to just feel better and monitor what I am eating. I am not starting with a large goal in mind but rather figuring out where to make the first change for better living. This is the second time with this program and I like it because I am not weighing food but seeing where I am snacking and eating the wrong items. I love that this is portable with my phone app for easier logging. Winter is here and I need something to distract me from depression. This might be just the thing! Good luck to you all. I welcome messages or questions anytime. :)
  • danzrlove
    danzrlove Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I too am starting again. I would love a supportive group to help me stick it out. Tough love doesn't really work for me, it has the opposite effect.
  • healthy_lovez
    healthy_lovez Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! The only difference between now and before is that I'm doing this for the right reasons, and I'm doing it on my own. No gimmicks, no pills, no crazy diets....I have done all those before and they work but never long term. As soon as I'm off the "program" I gain all the weight back plus 10 or more. This time I don't focus on the weight, or even how much I want to lose one day. I focus on one day at a time. Making sure my nutrition is good for that day, and trying to get in the gym on the days I can. It will all add up one day but for now I just track my weight once a week and focus on the day that is in front of me. :smile: Good luck and feel free to add me!
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If one is consistently starting over, it's for one main reason...............lack of commitment. One can desire to change, but that's not the same as being committed to change. One can lapse once in awhile, but if one is consistent on a plan that's designed to reach a reasonable goal, success will happen. Where people fail is that they become inconsistent for awhile and quit, but a committed person will only see this as a small deterrence. Buckle up and just get it done. If someone hesitates to believe they can do it, then they may not be ready for commitment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This is it exactly. I can't imagine doing this over and over.
  • mamakimkim
    mamakimkim Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Whoa, @ninerbuff--this is a support thread, and your words aren't supportive. With respect, lack of commitment is not everybody's problem. I agree that people fail because they are inconsistent. I disagree that inconsistency always comes down to commitment. What messes me up? A ton of work travel, which finds me staying in hotels for up to 5 days at a time, without a refrigerator, stove, grocery store access, and without total control over what food I have access to. What else messes me up? An injury that has impacted my ability to do most exercises and that leaves me with debilitating pain. What else messes me up? Having two little kids at home who still wake up at night and who wake me up at night which means that I don't get a good night's sleep (and sleep has a big impact on weight loss). What else messes me up? A forever-changed body which I am still coming to re-learn now that I recently had a second child.

My biggest struggle is that, despite being committed, there is a lot that I don't have control of now. I'm looking for a job with less travel, but for now, I'm stuck with airport, road, and hotel food 5-8 days per month. I would love to sleep through the night, but, kids! I would have loved to go to the gym yesterday, but the baby was sick which meant I couldn't take him to the gym day care, which meant I ended up going for a walk, which was a lower calorie-burn workout than the one I had originally planned, etc., etc. etc. I also ended up not going to the store yesterday because I was home with a sick baby instead of being on my usual routine, so dinner was also different than what it was supposed to be. The list of things like this goes on.

So, with respect, I think you're off base with your "commitment" comments. And, especially if you're a man (it looks like you are) who has never had to bounce back from baby weight, who doesn't have kids or other people to worry about or take care of in addition to taking care of yourself, please have compassion for people in other situations. Believe me, when I was single, footloose and fancy-free, had 100% control of my own time, and lived in my own space every single day, I had zero weight problems.

If any supportive folks want to friend me, please do :smile:

• penimony
    penimony Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oh good I thought I was the only one taking offense at the commitment issue. Weight loss isn't one little part of your life. It integrates into every portion of a persons life and there are so many aspects to it that its not the same for everyone. Yes it takes dedication and commitment but lack of progress even though someone desperately tries to be better is not failure its just a bigger challenge for some than others. Thanks mamakimkim you put it very nicely!
  • healthy_lovez
    healthy_lovez Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

This is it exactly. I can't imagine doing this over and over.

As "seasoned" gentlemen I am going to actively ignore your somewhat rude comments and chalk it up to just a BIG difference in generations and gender. While I agree that some people just simply aren't "ready" to lose weight and they just are not committed to do so, sometimes people want something so bad but they lack the proper resources or education to get it done. That is not saying that people can't do the best with what they have, but just as addiction or any other bad habit (like overeating or being unhealthy) there are so many different variables and you can't be close minded enough to believe that everyone's situation is the same or that all of them can be answered with the same answer...
  • starjams
    starjams Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well said mamakimkim! While my obstacles are different from yours in some ways, I completely agree with you. Thank you!
  • Amanda682015
    Amanda682015 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Anybody can add me!! The more the merrier!!! I like lots of interaction, opinions, support, motivation!!! Im on here daily and love to hear of others stories!!!