Where my tall girls at?

Options
So, it's hard to compare my weight to other girls.. I'm 5"11 and 220 pounds, so I'm struggling with settling on what my goal weight should be. I'm currently wearing a size 14, while I know others around my same weight range larger. I can't be unrealistic, and when I tell people that I want to lose 70 pounds I often get a disgusted reaction, because apparently I don't look like I have that much weight to lose, but according to the scale I do. Would love some input from some ladies on the same boat as me!

Replies

• BudhiRooh
    BudhiRooh Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hey Jpoppx, I'm 5'11 as well ... A few months back I was at 226 and I wear size 16 ...
    You're so right, when it comes to losing weight, it is so hard to compare ourselves with others ... I lost almost 34 pounds in the past few months and no one, literally no one has noticed (except a few ones) ... that's heart breaking :P ... I'm still wearing the same size and nothing major change I've felt myself except that I'm having more energy now (207 lbs as of this morning) ...
    I've set up my goal weight to be 175 as I don't like to be very skinny on this height :P ... Let's see how long would it take to reach that goal ... My first major goal would be to be below 200 lbs ...
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Hmm. . . so your target weight is about 150, which would put you in the middle of the standard women's BMI table for height/ weight. Sounds like a reasonable goal, but check in when you hit about 170 --which is on the high end of the "normal" range and see how you look and feel. Can you DO what you want to do? Do you like the way you feel on a regular basis? Is it reasonable for you to maintain your weight there without obsessing and having a reasonably healthy relationship with food and your body?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I am somewhere between 5'10" and 5'11". I am very long-waisted, large framed, very muscular and I have large breasts which don't seem to be going anywhere.

My goal weight is 190. I'm at 209 now (start weight 300) and I currently wear size 8 jeans and generally a 12 on top, depending on how fabrics stretch.

My recommendation is to use frame size and BMI to come up with a goal, then run it by your doctors to see if that goal makes sense for your particular body.
  • shondaj70
    shondaj70 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" and ultimately I'd like to get somewhere in the 185-195 range. I have a large frame so i've never looked like i weigh as much as i do. As the pounds are dropping, i am noticing my clothes fitting better and i'm anxious to hit my first mini goal of getting below 300!
  • ramepithecus
    ramepithecus Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'1" with a goal of 155, so your numbers sound very reasonable to me. I'm less than 5lbs from there right now, started around 175, and I don't think anyone but me can tell the difference.
  • sbrmom
    sbrmom Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10", long legs, broad shoulders, I think a medium frame. I have a goal weight of 155 which puts me right in the middle of a healthy BMI. I have about 25 pounds to go!
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    5'10"
    SW: 241
    CW: 233
    GW: 160
    Small/Medium Bone

I carry it all in my chest abdomen, and butt area. Hate it. Arms are skinny, legs too. Ugh!
    Waist has gone done even at 8lbs weight shed.
    I dream, literally day dream of the girl I use to be 20 years ago before I got pregnant. It keeps me pumped on this CICO thing. People always thought I was a model, not that I care to be one, then or now. But I was really athletic and I miss that. So I'm gonna get it back.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'10".. highest was 226 and currently at 199.5lbs. i have been in the 150s but i think i will be happier around 170lbs since i now lift heavy and prefer to be fit than "skinny fat".
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and just nudging 150 lb. Long legs, bit longer in back not a heavy frame. Not really wanting to lose any more weight just gain muscle and drop bf. I've found that at 140 I looked dreadful, very draw looking in face. Being taller I think we can carry a couple of pounds more without it being noticeable. Do any of you lift weights, and if so how have you found building muscle. I have seen an increase in strength but not alot of actual muscle growth. I know women take longer to grow muscle than men but is it because we have longer arms and legs we have to work harder to see results?
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I think it's going to so greatly depend on how muscular you are. Literally, that can swing you 20-30 lbs EASILY. I'm not as tall as you, as I'm only 5'9", but my super hot weight is 160-165. I'm a size 6 at that weight and 22% body fat and BANGING. But I also lift heavy -- my squat is in the low 190s (for 3 reps), deadlift 240s, etc. So I probably have a lot more muscle than that average woman, but I'm not overly muscly looking. Most would be pretty shocked to hear that I lift or at those numbers. I've got got pretty classic hour glass proportions with a short waist and long legs, boobs, hips but could use more booty personally (better with the lifting but I'll never be a J-Lo or Sofia Vergara).

One of the best examples I think of is Staci's story at nerd fitness. The difference in how she looks at 117 lbs and 142 lbs is SHOCKING.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I also think My Body Gallery can be a really helpful tool in this regard. You can see pics of real women at various weights, sizes, heights, etc. It really helps to give you a perspective on how greatly the weight can change even for the same size and height -- easily 20-30 lbs swings based on body type and even more so the taller and taller you get.

http://www.mybodygallery.com/search.html

At 5'11", there are women that look great or really trim at 181 lbs and then others that look much worse at 155 lbs (obviously have much higher body fat percentage). The difference can be shocking.

My suggestion is go by body fat if you can, then figure out what that weight is for you with that body fat percentage. Some like to be really low at 19%. 22% is the lowest I like how I look. Others prefer to be more at 24-25% for their ideal. It really varies on body type and your personal aesthetic preference.
  • Stacescotty
    Stacescotty Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi there! 5'10" here. Started at 226lbs at the beginning of April, 165lbs now so that's 61lbs lost. I want to lose 5-15 more. I began at a size 12/14 (12's if they were stretchy) and am now in 6's and 8's depending on the brand... So after all that crap about me, I think your goal is totally reasonable.

When I first started I kept thinking "I'll be happy under 200, I'll be happy with 190, I'd be thrilled at 175!!" etc but have found it not that hard to keep going further now that I have good healthy momentum. I'd say get a good, healthy routine of diet and exercise and keep losing until you're satisfied. Your goals aren't set in stone, you can modify them at any time :)
  • christch
    Options
    @Lindsey1972 how long have you been lifting, they're the sort of weights I want to work up to. At moment are only baby ones 66lb front squat, 150deadlift on a good day, been lifting only 6months seriously. Just a bit impatient to see results.
  • lindsey1979
    edited October 2015
    Options
    christch wrote: »
    @Lindsey1972 how long have you been lifting, they're the sort of weights I want to work up to. At moment are only baby ones 66lb front squat, 150deadlift on a good day, been lifting only 6months seriously. Just a bit impatient to see results.

150 lb deadlift is no joke. I've been off and on for 2 years now. I tended to do something like 4 months on and then 2 months off, so there was some backslide and not the most efficient way to go about it. I realized that I wasn't doing deload/rest weeks as often as I should (I've got some thyroid issues and get run down more easily) and would just burn out instead. But, once I figured that out, it's been a lot more consistent.

I started on Starting Strength but 4 months ago switched to 5/3/1. SS was just getting too monotonous and I really like 5/3/1. It's initially a little intimidating because its complicated at first blush, but once you figure it out (and there are good books/websites out there for it), it's a really nice program. Plus, you get to set new PRs all the time, so I find it more motivating (and you don't have to squat everyday!).

I also really struggled with my back squat form. I've got like the worse proportions for a quality back squat -- long legs, short torso. Great for deadlift, bad for back squat. Long torso, short legged people are great for squatting but they struggle more on deadlift (but they often switch to sumo deadlift for this reason). So I widened my stance and now get easily to parallel or a little below (I don't do any AtG -- parallel is my goal). When figuring this out, I found out I had really tight groin muscles in addition to tight hammies/hip extensors. I knew about the latter, but the former was a surprise to me. So, it took me a while to figure out these mobility challenges and then up the weight in my squat.

I'd bet that if you stick with it consistently (3-4x week if doing full body workouts), given your height and weight, you'll be where I am in 6 months or so -- but you've got to eat to support it as well. It looks like you're already at a good weight, so you may want to consider eating more to support the lifts and increase in muscle mass (because that is really hard to do for us women, though we can increase in strength for a little while -- you might still be somewhat in the noobie gains phase). If you find that your lifts aren't increasing, consider eating more -- a program like leangains where you cal/carb cycle on lifting and non-lifting days and get lots of protein may be particularly beneficial. Good luck!

Lastly, we women tend to not build muscle mass as quickly as men because we have lower testosterone and HGH levels. So unless you're taking steroids or just particularly genetically gifted to put on muscle, it will be a long slow process. You might find that you do better with cycles of cutting and bulking. I found recomping really hard (as many do) and so shifted to cycles of bulking and cutting. I also found a weekly round of HIIT did wonders for taking off bodyfat -- something like hill sprints is ideal (in large part because it increases HGH).

• christch
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I spend most of my time doing either goblet or front squat on to box. I can get down just below parallel with no weights but struggle once weighted. I'm glad to know other tall girls have these issues too.
  • lindsey1979
    edited October 2015
    Options
    christch wrote: »
    I spend most of my time doing either goblet out front squat on to box. I can get down just below parallel with no weights but struggle once weighted. I'm glad to know other tall girls have these issues too.

Since you said that you had long legs, I'm betting you have similar issues that I did. What worked for me was really widening my stance and making sure my knees followed my toes as I squatted (they came in more which was due to the tight groin muscles). I also warmed up with goblet squats (and still do). There was a great youtube video that helped me out, but I can't remember the guy's name now. I'll see if I can find it and post it for you.

I used to not be able to get down to parallel at all and totally reset my squat. Went down to no weight and just bands/dumbells for goblet squats. Then, once comfortable there, added just the empty bar (which is stil 45 lbs). Once I was doing that well, I started to add on weight. It was a slow process for me. I'm not sure if it was weaker quads or failure to engage my posterior chain, but one day it just started clicking.

Another body cue the helped was when I was coming up to think of thrusting my hips forward and my back backwards (since I low bar squat) -- this helped me keep my back angle consistent. Before, I was also doing the semi-good morning thing for a while, which supposedly is due to imbalance in the quads.

Here's the video (by Allan Thrall): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvGr7wXQfwE

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    jpoppx wrote: »
    So, it's hard to compare my weight to other girls.. I'm 5"11 and 220 pounds, so I'm struggling with settling on what my goal weight should be. I'm currently wearing a size 14, while I know others around my same weight range larger. I can't be unrealistic, and when I tell people that I want to lose 70 pounds I often get a disgusted reaction, because apparently I don't look like I have that much weight to lose, but according to the scale I do. Would love some input from some ladies on the same boat as me!

I'm 5'10" and started at 170. I'm 163 now, wearing a 12-14 depending on the garment. I really don't tell anyone that I'm working on loosing weight, though they might understand because I've had two hip surgeries in the last two years, so I put on weight. I'm just aiming for 145-150.
  • merbear787
    merbear787 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and currently 176. I have a goal weight of 140 which would be healthy for me as I have a small to medium frame. I am feeling very upset though as a co-worker (male) offers to buy the office lunch frequently and when I told him I was being healthy and packed my healthy lunch, he made fun of me in front of the entire office saying I wanted to be at "101 lbs." I know I would be healthier if I lost some weight. Anyone know how to deal with this kind of person?
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and I fluctuate between 151-154 now. I wear a 2-6 depending on the style/cut. I do lift weights and as a result my goal weight shifted from 135-140 to 145-150. I have a small frame and due to weight loss have gone from an hourglass to pear (no more boobs). I would still like to lose a bit more, but am working on increasing my lifts right now.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    merbear787 wrote: »
    I'm 5'10" and currently 176. I have a goal weight of 140 which would be healthy for me as I have a small to medium frame. I am feeling very upset though as a co-worker (male) offers to buy the office lunch frequently and when I told him I was being healthy and packed my healthy lunch, he made fun of me in front of the entire office saying I wanted to be at "101 lbs." I know I would be healthier if I lost some weight. Anyone know how to deal with this kind of person?

This may not be kind, and depending on your office space, use sparingly, but with guys that made rude comments, I go straight for short d*ck innuendo. Like,

"Geez, Mike, not ALL of us are trying to overcompensate for our obvious shortcomings." With a real pointed look at him up and down. It works really well if it's a short guy (considering you're 5'10"). If he's a tall guy, then focus on the lower half.

Short d*ick references are pretty much guy kryptonite, but you've got to have the moxy to pull it off.

• merbear787
    merbear787 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    merbear787 wrote: »

This may not be kind, and depending on your office space, use sparingly, but with guys that made rude comments, I go straight for short d*ck innuendo. Like,

"Geez, Mike, not ALL of us are trying to overcompensate for our obvious shortcomings." With a real pointed look at him up and down. It works really well if it's a short guy (considering you're 5'10"). If he's a tall guy, then focus on the lower half.

Short d*ick references are pretty much guy kryptonite, but you've got to have the moxy to pull it off.

Haha this made me feel much better :) I don't think it would fly at the office, but helps me laugh it off. Ps - he is probably 5'5" at most