Hormone Reset Diet

Options
Has anyone tryed this diet before? So far what I'm reading makes sense.

Replies

• Lindacastellano58
    Lindacastellano58 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it I'm going to google it.
  • Claudette03
    Claudette03 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just started reading the book and agree, makes sense. I am kind of doing it but plan to really start on Monday.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    "Boston University registered dietician and nutrition professor, Joan Salge Blake, says with this hormone reset diet, there are some real red flags.

“There’s no literature to suggest that you can by cutting certain foods out of your diet reset your hormones,” says Salge Blake. “Nor do you have to reset your hormones for you to lose weight. Another gut check? Be careful when you see weight loss plans that try to eliminate whole food groups. That’s usually a flag saying why does a whole food group need to be eliminated when you’re trying to lose weight?”

Salge Blake adds that there is really no science to back up this diet, and even though you will probably lose weight, you’re unlikely to be able to keep the weight off."
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Just cut your calories and increase your movements

There really is no fundamental magic behind it, there are just people making a buck

We get overweight because we eat too much for the amount we move. It's a simple energy equation. Anything else is minutiae, faddish or just plain made up

Good luck
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

There really is no fundamental magic behind it, there are just people making a buck

We get overweight because we eat too much for the amount we move. It's a simple energy equation. Anything else is minutiae, faddish or just plain made up

Good luck

Once people are overweight/obese, especially if they've developed some degree insulin resistance, are diabetic or prediabetic, there are significant health benefits to improving their hormonal environment that go beyond weight loss.

Full disclosure, I did not read the book! BUT, while I completely disagree with the author's dismissing of calories and think its a marketing ploy to sell her "magic bullet", I do think hormone optimization through diet is possible, beneficial, and not "minutiae, faddish or just plain made up".
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Good luck

Once people are overweight/obese, especially if they've developed some degree insulin resistance, are diabetic or prediabetic, there are significant health benefits to improving their hormonal environment that go beyond weight loss.

Full disclosure, I did not read the book! BUT, while I completely disagree with the author's dismissing of calories and think its a marketing ploy to sell her "magic bullet", I do think hormone optimization through diet is possible, beneficial, and not "minutiae, faddish or just plain made up".

If their medical issues were caused my increasing their calorie consumption, they'll be eliminated by decreasing their calorie consumption.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    If their medical issues were caused by increasing their calorie consumption, they'll be eliminated by decreasing their calorie consumption.

It would be nice if that were always true. Do you really think overweight/obese (or even anorexic) people can't cause irreversible damage to their health or at least cause issues that require more attention than just changing how much they weigh?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Hormones REGULATE on their own when the body is subjected to things like physical activity, eating patterns, sex etc. There's no need to "reset" them. This is just another pseudoscience sales tactic to make money for the author.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png