Endurance before speed?

Options
Im concentrating on MAKING it from point A to point B for now. Speed will come later, right?

Replies

• gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yes. You will become more economical with your movement and cover more ground with the same effort. Just worry about getting the distance done for the near future. You should be able to sing to yourself without gasping. It should not be really uncomfortable (that way you do it again).
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Yes.

The best way to run faster is to run *more*, slower.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm doing right now! I'm focusing on just increasing the distance of my run but not my speed. Right now I'm also focusing on my breathing because I'm not gasping, but I don't know that I could sing to myself. I'm actually going to try that next time.

OP, right now it takes me about 15-16 minutes to do a mile. It's very slow, but I'd rather be slow and stick to it then push too fast and risk and injury or sore muscles that set me back. So far I haven't been sore at all. I'm taking that as a sign that I'm working within my limits right now. Every run I do notice that I can go farther without feeling as fatigued.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I notice three systems catch up to my demands. The first is my cardiovascular. Am I gasping for breath? (Not very often these days). The second are my muscles, and the third my joints and tendons.

When you are no longer gasping for breath you can push your muscles to that "burn". In a few weeks by magic you will be stronger.

The joints take the longest. Don't skip your before and after stretches. Take care of your joints and you will prevent injury.
  • lbt1004
    lbt1004 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I completed 2 miles yesterday and tho I was proud that I ran almost the entire way, I was super slow. Feel better about it now...thanks again.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm doing right now! I'm focusing on just increasing the distance of my run but not my speed. Right now I'm also focusing on my breathing because I'm not gasping, but I don't know that I could sing to myself. I'm actually going to try that next time.

OP, right now it takes me about 15-16 minutes to do a mile. It's very slow, but I'd rather be slow and stick to it then push too fast and risk and injury or sore muscles that set me back. So far I haven't been sore at all. I'm taking that as a sign that I'm working within my limits right now. Every run I do notice that I can go farther without feeling as fatigued.

I love to hear this. You are doing everything right. If you keep at it, it will just get easier and easier for you. Great job!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Yes, because running fast puts a lot of stress on muscles, bones, and connective tissue. Here's a good article on how bone and connective tissue adapt to running; it takes a while.

I usually recommend waiting 6-12 months after you start running before you add deliberate speed work. If you're light and young, six months; if you're older or heavy, longer. Your risk of a running injury goes up significantly when you add intervals or hill repeats. Running more, and having one longer run a week, are both relatively safe ways to improve speed.