P90X Yoga or not

Options
So today is Day 4 of P90X Lean which means Yoga for me.... I really dont like Yoga nor do I like how slow pace it is... Anyone have any suggestions as to if I should just suck it up and do it or chose another workout today instead??

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I could never do yoga for any reason, so for me, I would totally switch it out for some other low impact workout.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    You can do the yoga for 60 minutes, then turn off the dvd player. You can do X Stretch instead. Also, there is the Fountain of Youth yoga by Tony Horton that is about 45 minutes.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/249882-p90x-yoga?hl=p90x+yoga#posts-3301576

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/228992-worried-that-p90x-yoga-is-going-to-make-me-give-up-p90x-prog?hl=p90x+yoga&page=2#posts-3021872
  • thomasbf
    thomasbf Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Find yoga DVD that isn't so God-awful. I hated it, too. I only did P90X yoga twice bfore changing to Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown. I'd still do 60-90 minutes though, so you may need to run through both levels or do one level twice (at least.)
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Cardio X, Kenpo X, or Plyometrics or whatever you feel like doin' :wink:
  • ginakelley
    ginakelley Posts: 33
    Options
    I say suck it up and do it at least once... If you haven't done the YogaX yet, you should at least give it a chance. I love it and I typically like the faster paced workouts. If you try it once and can't stand it, sub CardioX in or one of the weight lifting routine since you are doing the Lean... That is just my 2 cents. I have done almost 4 complete rounds of the program.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I say not, because I took one quick fast forward through the video and... HOLY @&#$! That yoga's no joke. Lol.

Nah, I'm kidding. You should at least give it a go! It is a bit slow paced, but I think you'll get a great workout. If you decide not to do the yoga, I'd replace it with a strength training video instead, since yoga is very much strength training.... Or maybe do the Stretch X.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I do dvds from Ana Brett - try fat free yoga. It's awesome :)
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I don't mind yoga always, but HATE the p90x yoga. couldnt' stick with it at all, I'd do the kenpo or plyo instead when it was time for yoga when I was doing p90
  • armywife121110
    Options
    thx everyone for your imput! I have tried the Yoga for P90X before and made it through 20 minutes before I gave up... Tomorrow is weigh day so I gotta get something in! I havent tried the Stretch X yet, but i'm thinkin Kenpo because it's my absolute favorite!!
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Never done P90X but I did my first Yoga session today with Exercise on demand. It's tough to slow down but I feel fabulous. Of course I did 50 min on the treadmill and 20 min of 30 Day Shred earlier so I had already burned my cardio cals for the day.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I say do it. Your muscles need that stretch.
  • knewbill72
    knewbill72 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Do the Yoga X. It's in the program for a reason. It's not your stereotypical Yoga. It's a kick in the *kitten* Yoga. It's hard and its that way for a reason. I constantly see people looking for a way out of Yoga in P90x program and they all typically start off by saying its boring and then ask 'permission' from others to not do it or sub it out for some lesser intense workout.

The reality is that for most this workout is just Freakin' Hard...not boring! It works you out in a way you are not used to and that makes most people uncomfortable and unwilling to fight through it. The first 45 minutes will rock you. You know that already because you were more than likely questioning your stamina at 20 minutes....:noway:

If you skip the Yoga for any other reason then medical I think that's pretty much a cop out IMO. Just saying.

Best of luck in your decision and fitness goals!!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'd never done yoga before, and learned - after a few sessions to really like Yoga X - then I tried other Yoga DVD - and hated them, I keep going back to Tony. He doesn't talk in the slow monotone voice and isn't boring like most Yoga. I say it's SO important to do and the benefits are SO great, you're hurting your success by not doing it. I still continued to do Yoga X or Fountain of Youth all the way through Insanity and not include it weekly in my training program for my 1/2 marathon. It's must.

I'm a firm believer in order to get 100% success from a program - you have to do it 100% correct. If you want 90% success, only do 90% of it. IMO, you were posting so people could tell you what you wanted to hear. I'm not of that mindset. Yoga X clearly has super benefits, and I agree with Tony Horton - I can do things now I couldn't do before Yoga X.
  • dyiaane
    dyiaane Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    NOTTTTT- its terrible. I took Pilates instead at the gym. I would suggest subbing something.
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    1000 times yes. It's hard but it's p90x. What do you expect? It' s there for a reason. it's my favourite p90x workout. You have to allow yourself time to do it. I find the best time for me is at nightime. It helps me relax. It' s a stress reliever. I love it.
  • ejsmith7
    ejsmith7 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I say suck it up and do it at least once... If you haven't done the YogaX yet, you should at least give it a chance. I love it and I typically like the faster paced workouts. If you try it once and can't stand it, sub CardioX in or one of the weight lifting routine since you are doing the Lean... That is just my 2 cents. I have done almost 4 complete rounds of the program.

I agree :)
  • FrodoB
    FrodoB Posts: 19
    Options
    Do the yoga.
  • phatfreeme
    phatfreeme Posts: 14
    Options
    I HATE the yoga too. Not just P90X, but yoga anything. I have forced myself to do Tony's version, yes it is hard and I hate staying in plank for so darn long, however; after completing the session, I do feel great. Really, I am not in great shape and the yoga suggested by P90X has intensely changed my core. I dread YogaX days, but I will not give up on it, or myself. I can now complete the DVD, with the exception of doing some of the twists and the crane (I don't think I will ever be able to do the crane), but I refuse to give up. Stick with it, you WILL see your body get better at it!!!! Just my experience.....
  • knewbill72
    knewbill72 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    1000 times yes. It's hard but it's p90x. What do you expect? It' s there for a reason. it's my favourite p90x workout. You have to allow yourself time to do it. I find the best time for me is at nightime. It helps me relax. It' s a stress reliever. I love it.

Yeah I like doing it at night too!
  • dltang
    dltang Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    So far the Yoga is my least favorite P90X workout. It is just plain hard. I do what I can and I am pretty sure I could make a video of the world's ugliest Yoga routine. But I am not going to give up on it. As I get stronger I am sure I will do better. As others have stated, it is part of the program for a reason. They developed this program to be done a certain way and I am going to follow it. I have already seen results in just two weeks of the P90X Lean and I figure when I get done with this 90 days, I will start the regular P90X.