My father the diabetic

Options
k900
k900 Posts: 140 Member
edited October 2015 in Motivation and Support
My father has been a type 2 diabetic for as long as I can remember. He has diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and he has a skin ulcer on his leg which is made worse by all of these issues. He refuses to believe that his diet has anything to do with these problems. He has said how a doctor told him that even if he lost weight and paid attention to what he ate he would always have to take insulin. I have seen several type 2 diabetics not have to take insulin after loosing weight.

He works two jobs which doesn't help anything. My parents have a decent amount of debt so my dad works two jobs and my mother also has a full time job. I know even though he works more than he should be with his health issues if he would just change his diet he would feel so much better. Almost anytime me or my mother mention it to him he blows it off and eats whatever he wants anyway. He eats fast food at least 5 times a week. He gets the options with as much meat and cheese as possible.

I'm honestly starting to get concerned that he isn't going to make it to 60. Any suggestions/tips on how to get a family member to try and be healthier ?

Replies

• ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    All change comes from within, Grasshopper. People see and hear what they want. The only person's behavior you can change is your own. :(
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    The only thing you can do is accept him and love him the way he is and enjoy the time you have. You cannot change another person and you will just get resentful if you try.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How do you wake a person up? Maybe tell him how important it is for you to see him enjoy a long and healthy retirement. Let him know you notice and you care. If he says something delusional like his diet doesn't matter, call him in it as in "Dad you know that's not true. Just look at Harry down the street." Then if he ignores your best advice, let it go.

A time or two in the hospital or perhaps a loss of a leg might wake him up. You never know.

Oh, and credit him with any positive changes he makes.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Insulin is a good thing. He absolutely needs to be on his doctor's protocol. <3
    What is very concerning is his ulcer.
    My sister in law has had two amputations (both legs just below the knees) because of what started out as ulcers. :/
    Educate yourself more about diabetes. Meat and cheese are good for him. Tell him to skip the bun and the French fries.
    Instead of worrying about what he should not be eating, see if he and your mother can introduce one new food a week that is low carb -- some roasted veggies or a stir fry maybe.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    http://www.diabetes-book.com
    This book wil be helpful to you. The author explains diabetes.
    I wish you and your family well.
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, no matter what you do or say, a person can only change when they are ready to.

My in law's have both been obese in the 14 years I've known them. Despite both of them having reams of health problems, all weight related, neither has been willing to change. Last year my mil suffered a serious stroke, directly as a result of high blood pressure and her obesity. When she was in the hospital, the doctors didn't expect her to make it. She did pull through and is still with us 18 months on, but is severely disabled and relies on fil as a carer. It is absolutely heartbreaking to see my husband so worried about his mother, and hear him say it could have been avoided.

Neither of them have changed their ways since. Fil was actually in the hospital again this week with gall bladder problems. He was told a year or two ago he is too fat for surgery to remove it.

All we can do is try to learn from their mistakes, and aim to be a healthy example to them.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Does he realise that once a diabetic starts having ulcers, unless he changes his lifestyle ASAP, amputation is in his near future? Maybe offer to accompany him to the dr, and make sure he at least listens? You cannot force him to change if he does not want to though. The ulcer is not somethign made worse because of diabetes, it is caused by uncontrolled diabetes and he needs medical care immediately to save his foot.
    https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/patientinstructions/000077.htm
  • k900
    k900 Posts: 140 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone.