how to shop when you're broke and have a family

Options
15678911»

Replies

• kstar191
    kstar191 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am not sure of your location, but in some areas, there are bountiful baskets food co-op. It's about $15 for a bunch of fruit and veggies. You can get breads and add-ons too. Sure helps me save on my grocery bill.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I don't qualify bc I make a few hundred dollars over the income guidelines.

You can appeal if the difference isn't that much over
  • guppy1697
    guppy1697 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this answers what to buy, but my wife and I utilize the savings catcher app at wal mart. So far it's saved us a nice chunk of change at wal mart this year.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    mkakids wrote: »
    Save every veggie scrap (wilted veggies, ends of carrots, onion skin, etc...) in a zip bag along with bones. When the bags full, dump it in a pot to make homemade stock. You can also save "good scraps" like the few pieces of carrots or bites of chicken that didnt get eaten at dinner to use in soup.

I keep this bag in the freezer. I roast the bones first for a richer flavour and I save the leafy bits from celery.

This. And if you have a leftover cheese rind like the waxy rind from a parmesan throw that in your stock too. Tastes amazing.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    mkakids wrote: »
    Save every veggie scrap (wilted veggies, ends of carrots, onion skin, etc...) in a zip bag along with bones. When the bags full, dump it in a pot to make homemade stock. You can also save "good scraps" like the few pieces of carrots or bites of chicken that didnt get eaten at dinner to use in soup.

I keep this bag in the freezer. I roast the bones first for a richer flavour and I save the leafy bits from celery.

This. And if you have a leftover cheese rind like the waxy rind from a parmesan throw that in your stock too. Tastes amazing.

Oooooh, I am totally stealing the cheese rind idea. I made a bean stew this week, totally my own creation, from all the leftover bits of root vegetables on hand. I used pinto beans because I had them, shiitake mushrooms, tomato, turnip, potato, carrot, yam, and the last of my red quinoa. The night before I made the stew, I boiled the bones I've been saving up. Before serving, I took a couple cups of the stew out and blended it with the hand blender, to thicken the whole thing up.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I thought rice wasn't really all that good for you. I buy rice but don't make it often, I will look into that more and try to add it in more often. We eat A LOT of peanut butter sandwiches! Esp me and my 3yo, haha.

I think brown rice and beans probably has more nutritional value to a growing body than peanut butter. Especially if you buy average peanut butter. Brown rice is a whole grain and has valuable vitamins and minerals that are naturally occuring vs. Being added in to bread products.

So a pot of a mixture of beans, rice, and whatever veggies your munchkins like would be a great make ahead meal for the week.
  • Lathandria
    Lathandria Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through every single comment so sorry if this has already been asked but, is there an Aldi in your area? I shop at Aldi every week for a family of 5. I spend about 70-80 dollars a week. Considering how expensive groceries can be thats very cheap.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I do get occasional child support and they count that in your income regardless of reliability on the payors part. I use the cs for the kids needs, which I know food is, but I don't count on it as part of my income bc it comes and goes. If that makes any sense.

How did they find out about the child support? If it is not court ordered and you don't tell them then they can't count it.

I have not read all of the responses, but are you able to grow your own veggies at home? Even on the porch? If you are in a rural area, or close by is there a co-op you can participate in? Share bulk items with others, and freeze them? How about legumes, and rice? Tough cuts of meat that you can put in a slow cooker. Less expensive veggies, like carrots, potatoes, cabbage, etc. are filling especially if eaten raw or not overcooked.

Is your 14 year old able to assist with babysitting the youngers while you get a 2nd job? If not, can you babysit others? Can you open up a daycare center of your own since I'm sure childcare for your youngers when you are at work must cost you a considerable amount, unless you have them being watched by relatives? Can you share apartment/house space with another single mom to share expenses and childcare needs?

I'm a single mom, and have been for near 18 years. He pays child support how and when he feels like it, but I make enough to care for my child on my own though I after I was laid off and got another job paying 20%, it got to be a challenge at times, and sometimes I rob Paul to pay Peter, like you.

I commend you on helping your kids eat healthier. It is so easy to eat nutrionally deficient foods, especially when you are on a limited income.

Friend me and let's support one another.