Healthy snacking

Options
abbititley
abbititley Posts: 13 Member
Hey, can anyone suggest any healthy snacks for when it's a lazy movie day? This is my downfall !

Replies

• milemission
    milemission Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My favorites are Blueberries, Blue Diamond Almonds and Chobani plain greek yogurt with cut fruits.
  • abbititley
    Options
    That sounds good I'm a bit wary of fruits at the minute though as I've found they have a lot of natural sugars
  • AJLovinLife
    AJLovinLife Posts: 125 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I am not sure how healthy my snacks are but i like them. :)
    • 1/4 cup of dark chocolate covered cranberries with a 1/4 cup walnuts or pecans (sometimes add air popped popcorn to this)
    • air popped popcorn with nutritional yeast flakes, salt and coconut oil
    • air popped popcorn lightly drizzled with melted chocolate chips/dark chocolate
    • rice cake/English muffin with (peanut butter, goats cheese, or nutella), sliced fruit, sprinkle with cinnamon and a drizzle of honey
    • plain Greek yogurt with a scoop of nutella
    • diced up fruit dipped in strawberry yogurt
    • layered bean dip (light on cheese and greek yogurt instead of sour cream) with veggies
    • peanut butter/hummus and veggies
    • smoothies
    • non dairy ice cream
    • chia seed pudding parfait
    • strawberries, tofu(mashed up), lemon zest, lemon juice and honey
    • roasted nuts, cinnamon with or without sugar/honey
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn.

Natural sugars are perfectly fine. The fiber in fruits also slow down the absorption which is good.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Pretzels.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Celery sticks with laughing cow cream cheese.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Edamame with hot sauce.
  • abbititley
    Options
    Greek yogurt sounds good with Nutella and I'm going to try the cream cheese and laughing cow
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Some of my snacky foods...
    • Roast off some veggies (my favs are brussel sprouts, carrots, butternut squash, okra, cauliflower, and broccoli) and keep them in the fridge to snack on later. I like to eat them cold or put them in sandwiches for added flavor.
    • Celery sticks with peanut butter, hummus, tzatziki, cream cheese, or baba ganoush
    • Red bell pepper sticks (used to hate them, now I love them)
    • Raw asparagus
    • A couple tbs of popcorn popped in the microwave with a little butter and salt (I have a microwave popcorn popper, but a brown lunch bag works too)
    • Dry cereal
    • Edamame, nuts, dried fruit, whole fruit, seeds, etc.
    • Plain greek yogurt mixed with a little granola and fruit jam or honey, fresh berries if I have any on hand
    • Hard boiled egg
    • Smoothie, usually 2/3 spinach and 1/3 fruit, sometimes I'll toss a few nuts in there.

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    abbititley wrote: »
    That sounds good I'm a bit wary of fruits at the minute though as I've found they have a lot of natural sugars

Do you have health problems requiring you to watch your sugars? If not, why are you stressing about the sugars in fruit?

I don't recommend several servings a day, but most fruit has way more fiber than a serving of vegetables and it helps you to eat the rainbow, unless you only eat green apples and kiwi.

If you find that fruit is a trigger for you, try choosing high fiber options and pairing it with protein. Nuts, PB and cheese can be paired with various fruits.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Apple and 1 oz of cheese
    Tzatziki and popped wheat thins or veggies

Some days I am making sure I hit a lower limit on calories so will have a piece of toast with peanut butter on it.
  • dianaiku
    dianaiku Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Apple, orange, banana, popcorn, handful of raisins, handful of sunflower seeds unsalted, popcorn, baby carrots
    Hope I helped (:
  • katie1318
    katie1318 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    1 bag of pop secret 100 cal butter popcorn

4 tbsp PB2 with celery, carrots, or an apple

A buttload of cherry tomato halves with salt and pepper

Fat free Greek yogurt with agave

1 pint Arctic zero ice cream (only 150cals!)

Kale chips or seaweed flakes
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    The fiber in fruit aids in the digestion of fructose. You want to get a variety of carb and food sources, but avoiding natural fruit isn't good or useful to you.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Well it's a movie day...so, popcorn. If I don't want popcorn I get pork rinds because they fit my macros oh so well.

Many choices can be healthy within the context of a balanced diet.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I just made some kale chips (kale, salt/seasonings, and pam/oil cooked at 375 for 12-15 minutes), and they are amazing. I think I'll have about 2-3 cups of cooked chips for less than 100 calories.
  • Big5BigChange
    Big5BigChange Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Take a can of chickpeas and spread them in a single layer on a baking tray. Sprinkle with salt and cayenne pepper or chilli flakes and bake in oven for 30-45 mins at around 180, checking a lot. The browner/more cooked ones go wonderfully crunchy and the less well cooked are chewy. Lovely for snacking mndlessly during a film ;)
  • abbititley
    Options
    Some great ideas here thanks guys I'm going to try the kale chips
  • harmatafamily
    harmatafamily Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I get a craving for chocolate so I have made my own cookies that only have around 57 calories each; 2 bananas, 1 cup oats, 1 T Peanut Butter Powder, 1/2 espresso powder, 1/4 cut milk chocolate chips. In food processor, mix bananas until creamy and no bananas are seen, then put oats in and mix. Add peanut butter and coffee to mix and quickly mix in chocolate. Put on parchment paper to make 15 cookies. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes. Satisfies my chocolate and no added sugar!!
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    mygnsac wrote: »
    Some of my snacky foods...
    • Roast off some veggies (my favs are brussel sprouts, carrots, butternut squash, okra, cauliflower, and broccoli) and keep them in the fridge to snack on later. I like to eat them cold or put them in sandwiches for added flavor.
    • Celery sticks with peanut butter, hummus, tzatziki, cream cheese, or baba ganoush
    • Red bell pepper sticks (used to hate them, now I love them)
    • Raw asparagus
    • A couple tbs of popcorn popped in the microwave with a little butter and salt (I have a microwave popcorn popper, but a brown lunch bag works too)
    • Dry cereal
    • Edamame, nuts, dried fruit, whole fruit, seeds, etc.
    • Plain greek yogurt mixed with a little granola and fruit jam or honey, fresh berries if I have any on hand
    • Hard boiled egg
    • Smoothie, usually 2/3 spinach and 1/3 fruit, sometimes I'll toss a few nuts in there.

I've done this before, but never with butter - how do you prevent it from soaking through the paper lunch bag? Do you add the butter before you pop the popcorn or add it later?