Phentermine

Options
Has anyone had greater success using Phentermine 37.5 than diet and exercise alone? My doctor recently prescribed it, and my appetite is somewhat suppressed. I'm not sure I'm noticing enough of a difference to keep taking it based on the side effects. I already suffer with insomnia and it's kicking my butt.

What was your experience?

Replies

• ElPasoMark
    ElPasoMark Posts: 47 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My experience? Horrible. I tried it for a few days but couldn't tolerate/stand it. First night it felt like I had taken a handful of sudafed or ephedrine- All jangled and an ephedrine-like head buzz. I honestly don't know that it reduced my appetite but it sure made me feel horrible- Run down, no energy, blah. Absolutely and utterly crappy. Direct opposite of what I was expecting. I felt so lousy I stopped working out. So, stopped taking it after about 3 days. Wasn't worth it to me to keep on and "Hope" I would eventually feel better. Was sure glad when it was all out of my system. So no "Magic pill" for me. Have to do it through hard work(outs) and watching what I eat.
  • kmallsop
    kmallsop Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've only been using it for a week myself. Not long enough to notice a significant change in weight, but it makes me feel wired as well. The first day I took advantage of it and deep cleaned my house, but now I mostly feel dizzy, light headed, and can't sleep at night. I know there is an adjustment period, so I'm wondering if I should stick it out or not.
  • DollieDaughtry
    DollieDaughtry Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I took it several years ago and lost 30-40 pounds very quickly. I had lots of energy in the beginning but like you could not get to sleep.. After a few months it stopped working and eventually I gained back all of the weight I had lost plus more.. Ended up with high blood pressure. It is a bad drug.. just speed prescribed by a doctor. It does not teach us to be healthy, just a fast temporary fix. Be careful if you choose to continue with it.
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It made me wired and irritable.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Good to know. I've thought about taking it, but I'm wired and irritable in general already. Oh and in case any of you are wondering about that garcinia cambogia I will say it worked as an appetite suppressant for me, but again the side effects weren't worth it. If I stuck to low cal and fairly low fat it was fine, but I ate lasagna one day and was literally in the emergency room the next day thinking my appendix had burst. That is the kind of gas pains it will give you. So not worth it.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I've been using it since June. I started taking it after a long conversation with my doctor. I had already lost 85 pounds at that point and had been at a plateau for 6 months - *zero* weight lost in 6 months - and a review of my food and exercise log by my doctor and blood work showed no obvious reason for the long plateau. In fact, based on my food/exercise log and blood work - I should have been losing. After discussion, we decided to try phentermine to see if would restart my weight loss. I take a very low dose. I take half of a 37.5 pill daily. It has helped and I have lost an additional 15 pounds since June. It has had some appetite suppressant effects but food consumption was not a problem before starting the pills, so I am still consuming the same amount of calories now as I was before. As I have continued to take it, the side effects are fairly minor and have lessened over time but I still feel wired and shaky at times. When I started taking it in June, we decided on a 6-month period of use. That is up at the end of November and I don't plan to continue taking the pills.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Phentermine plus fenfluramine (phen/fen) worked marvelously for me, but once fenfluramine was withdrawn from the market I didn't get the same results from phentermine alone or with some drugs similar to fenfluramine. Plus the whole fenfluramine being withdrawn from the market due to damaging hearts soured me on the whole diet pill thing.
  • Wildgardenia
    Wildgardenia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    30mg time release is awesome for appetite suppression. 37.5mg turned me into a crazy woman.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I actually found it quite helpful. Doc and I agreed to do a 90 day trial, she said she uses it as a jump start in patient. It was successful to that end - my first month was a 15lb loss. But I did note that my resting heart rate went from 70-80 to 120 so I decided to stop taking it after the first month. The only time I noticed it keeping me up at night was if I took it later than 9 or 10 am. After a month, I stopped, with in two weeks my pulse was back to normal, and I'm at 64lbs down now.
  • ruthfmoy
    ruthfmoy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I suffered sleepless nights , nervousness, dry mouth,
  • kmallsop
    kmallsop Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    30mg time release is awesome for appetite suppression. 37.5mg turned me into a crazy woman.

What was the difference in how you felt?

I have a follow up with my doctor in a month. She actually didn't push the pill. I had lost 15lbs in 6 weeks, and she mentioned a few options to assist, but that I was doing well enough on my own that I didn't "need" anything. I've had a number of health issues caused by being overweight, worst of all herniated discs/back problems that have gone on for years. Along with the phys. therapy I'm doing, I'm hoping to lose 50-60 more lbs as quickly as possible, but not at the risk of harming myself. I've been pretty strict with a 1200-1500 calorie diet for about 2 months now and have lost 21 lbs. Since starting the phentermine my calorie intake has dropped to about 900 because I have to remind myself to eat. I just hate feeling like I've downed a couple of Redbulls.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I've been using it since June. I started taking it after a long conversation with my doctor. I had already lost 85 pounds at that point and had been at a plateau for 6 months - *zero* weight lost in 6 months - and a review of my food and exercise log by my doctor and blood work showed no obvious reason for the long plateau. In fact, based on my food/exercise log and blood work - I should have been losing. After discussion, we decided to try phentermine to see if would restart my weight loss. I take a very low dose. I take half of a 37.5 pill daily. It has helped and I have lost an additional 15 pounds since June. It has had some appetite suppressant effects but food consumption was not a problem before starting the pills, so I am still consuming the same amount of calories now as I was before. As I have continued to take it, the side effects are fairly minor and have lessened over time but I still feel wired and shaky at times. When I started taking it in June, we decided on a 6-month period of use. That is up at the end of November and I don't plan to continue taking the pills.
    Did your Dr really review your food diary and agree with that?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I took it for about a month, that was all I could stand. I didn't sleep, I was moody, sensitive, couldn't think straight and crying over nothing. It was one of the worst months of my life!

I cant even remember if I lost weight or not, the whole experience is a blur.