New FitBit User. Need help!

Options
I am using the FitBit. Should I wear it while walking on the treadmill or the elliptical? Do I log my exercise into MFP or just use the calorie burn from the FitBit steps? I'm not sure exactly how to use it. Any advise is appreciated!

Replies

• fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I wear my Fitbit all the time, only take it off to charge or shower.

I have mine synced with MFP, so all my exersice is calculated in steps.

It may work for you in an elliptical, I have never tried.....
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've got the zip as the only exercise I do is walking. I wear it constantly, expect for bed and shower. I've got it synced with mfp and just let it do its thing.

Check out the FAQ section in our fitbit group.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • 1JoshG
    1JoshG Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I wear mine all the time as well. Although, I don't work out on machines so I can't testify to it's accuracy.
  • AMinwonderland
    AMinwonderland Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the zip and wear it all the time as well - including treadmills and elliptical machines. I wear mine on my bra strap, but have heard of people putting it on their shoe for ellipticals. Mine definitely registers steps. Accidentally putting it in the washing machine also registers "steps" ;-) oops. Still works though! Amazing little guy that zip is.
  • AMinwonderland
    AMinwonderland Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oh forgot to mention...I only add exercise of swimming to MFP (since I do take the zip off - although I did once swim across the lake and forgot it was still on - and it still worked!) and just let my synced zip enter exercise calories into MFP. I try not to eat them all back.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Wear it for everything. You'll probably still have to log the elliptical for a more accurate burn (in Fitbit). But anything step-based like walking and running will be taken care of.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Definitely visit the above mentioned group, it's very helpful. My takeaway from it is

1. Log food in MFP
    2. You don't have to log step-based exercise, the FitBit already does that
    3. Log elliptical (or whatever non-step based exercises) in FitBit, everything will sync up.

I'm still learning the other features/dynamics/internal workings of the FitBit, but I am extremely pleased with it so far - I have a Charge HR.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I wear it, but then I see how many miles I do on the treadmill and I manually go and change the miles because my stride is totally different when I am walking for exercise than when I measured it walking at my normal pace. It doesn't change the calories a whole lot, but I walk a lot more miles than it gives me credit for.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Wear it all the time unless you are immersed in water. Definitely wear it during step based exercising. That's what its made for.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I wear mine at all times, except for in the shower. Keep my activity level at sedentary and the only exercise I log (sorta) is when I have to trim some horses feet on my days off of my regular job. That is a high intensity workout but with very few steps.

I eat back all of my calorie adjustments and am losing weight.

I don't workout on machines so you may or may not want to log those but still wear the fitbit. You more or less need to play with what you do until you get the results you want.

Ther eis a really good FAQ ,in the Fitbit group ,that you should read. It will answer a lot of your questions.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I wear mine all the time, even in the shower. I had it synched to MFP for a while and was really into challenges, logging onto the Ftibit site etc. Now it isn't linked to MFP; I'm happy if I hit my steps every day and I don't eat all of my back calories regardless of what activity I did.
  • purpleflux
    purpleflux Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I wear my Charge HR all the time (except in the shower - don't fancy testing the water tolerance of it), because it's interesting to see my heart rate logged during exercise even if I have to log the exercise itself manually.

I also work at a desk, and it can be fascinating to see what my heart rate does when I'm having to deal with really annoying people and situations... :confounded: