protein shakes, sugestions anyone?

Options
franurra
franurra Posts: 17 Member
I have become a little bit addicted to hard core gym classes like RPM or body attack and now im going to the gym about 6 to 7 times a week after doing m work, house work, putting kids in bed, etc...andIim finding Im eating too little, my tummy is feeling the muscles tightening and so I cant force food down, also not to mention the lack of time.
So I was thinking maybe a good protein shake, but I dont know where to start, I have read reviews but I really want to hear what ppl here have to say about them, was good about them? pros cons? and whats your fav?
Help me:)
Franxx:flowerforyou:

Replies

• jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I just started drinking Jay Robb's Vanilla Whey Protein mix with fat free milk. YUMMY!! some people say its a little pricey but I like that it has no extra fat or sugar. It is sweetened with Stevia. So I am willing to spend a couple dollars extra.
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    SDC (About Time) makes good protein powder, it is sweetened with Stevia, 103 calories per scoop, good! I found them on Facebook, they were having a sale last month, they also sent lots of samples with my order too, nice bonus : )
  • franurra
    franurra Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    sounds tasty, do you get it from the web? I dont live in US so maybe a link could help to see if i can get it in the UK?
    Thanks!xx
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Remember: carbs before, protein after [workout].

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    sounds tasty, do you get it from the web? I dont live in US so maybe a link could help to see if i can get it in the UK?
    Thanks!xx

Not sure if you were talking to me or carpar1 but here is the link for mine:

http://www.jayrobb.com/protein/Whey-Protein-Vanilla.asp
  • webbed1
    webbed1 Posts: 86
    Options
    Ok, I consume about 40% of my calories with shakes. Convenience. Total control over nutritional profile. Quick to ingest. Easy to prepare.

This might take you a while, but find a good quality protein powder that you like the taste of and can digest (I am lactose intolerant so I have only a handful of choices and it was tough going finding them).

Consider buying Walmart's brand of Ensure, called Equate (250 calories, balanced, although the carbs are fast/high glycemic). Consider Nonfat milk as an alternative base if you need to control carbs (I do and balance the usage in a strategic fashion aligned with my post workout needs, etc.). Then add a scoop or whatever appropriate measurement gets you your desired grams of protein. Note that Whey, while often touted as the BEST, is a fast protein in terms of absorbition, and Casein or egg, a slower. I have mixtures for specific purposes. For you, I am sorry if I am being assumptive, just get a good whey. Walmart carries Six Star, and it is a very respectable brand at a great price. I can't use it due to lactose intolerance but it mixes well and tastes good.

If you want to add quality fat grams to this shake, to make it a meal replacement, and I DO, then add 1-however many tablespoons of canola oil to the shake. Eliminates saturated fat, gives you good fats, you control the amount, and makes the shake creamy as all get out.

If you like to blend it, add a high fiber, low glycemic index cereal in MEASURED quantities, then blend.

You can make a batch, then fill little gatorade bottles with measured amounts and know EXACTLY what you are getting of what. You can LITERALLY design and dial in your desired profile of % protein, carbs, fats, and cleanliness thereof. Put them in the fridge and use them as you go.

I do this.