Going out... what would you eat?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I don't typically ask, but heck. My husband picked this place for lunch. I don't have any specific craving so nothing really jumps at me (except the mac'n cheese, but I just don't want to blow 2000 calories on a meal today), so I'm just wondering what you think the most reasonable option is?

Thinking the grilled steak salad with dressing on the side, although I don't really feel like having salad, but everything else seems to come with sauces or mushrooms or extra cheese or something... The boar ragu looks good, but it's probably not so good calorie-wise - does anyone have any experience? I saw a picture on Facebook (can't link to it, sadly) and it doesn't look like a huge plate.

And here's the menu

http://www.rockyhilltavern.com/lunch-menu/

I have 600ish calories to work with, although I have a good deficit so far this week so it's not a huge deal if I go a bit over... but I made some apple pies at baking class yesterday so we're having some for dinner tonight, and I'd like to save calories for that (dinner otherwise will be pork chops with some kind of veggies).

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would get either the steak salad with no cheese (personal preference, not due to calories) or the spicy @ss burger with no cheese or bread and mayo on the side. That beet/goat cheese salad looks good though. If it was big enough to be considered lunch on its own I would probably get that. J'aime beaucoup beet/goat cheese combos.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I'd skip a main dish and have the spinach salad and chili.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I don't like the salmon sides much! I might just go with the chili. I like goat cheese and beet salads too but not enough protein for me and I had goat cheese for breakfast.

I guess it depends on how hungry I am by then...
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Man, I want to go out to lunch today.

I'd get the mussels! The meze board sounds fun too. If the soup of the day is broth based, maybe you could do that with a salad. Some of those look amazing.
  • Francl27
    Options
    rockmama72 wrote: »
    Man, I want to go out to lunch today.

I'd get the mussels! The meze board sounds fun too. If the soup of the day is broth based, maybe you could do that with a salad. Some of those look amazing.

Yes it's good. I went there once and probably ate 3000 calories in one meal with a reuben burger and some fantastic bread pudding, just trying to be more careful this time, lol!
  • Francl27
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Get whatever you want and just eat half.

That never works for me, honestly. I end up with too little food.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    From my own personal tastes, I would do either the flat iron steak salad or the chili with a side salad.

If I was having a "don't care" day, the burgers or pulled pork sound amazing. I just wouldn't be able to fit either into a normal day.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Mac and cheese or a side of it to get the taste then something light to go with it. I order three appetizers all the time instead of a main dish.

IE- Shrimp cocktail, flatt iron steak and crab cakes sounds delicious right now and more than likely the same price as a main dish..
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of boar ragu

what I buy (proper italian ragu) is about 160 cal/100g - obviously it does depend then how they will make it there
  • tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm always a sucker for fish and chips with some malt vinegar sauce. Maybe only eat about half of the chips....
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'd want the Reuben but would probably order the steak salad.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'd have the salmon burger, hold the aioli and something on the ruffage...probably the broccoli
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Heres some more pictures http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/rocky-hill-inn-eatery-and-tavern-rocky-hill

Id probably get the RHI burger and not eat the bun, and ask for a salad instead of fries
  • Francl27
    Options
    I got the chili and it was delicious!
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

The point is moot now but my suggestion for next time is: Ask to see the dinner menu and split an entree with somebody or else just eat half of one by yourself.
  • Francl27
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »

The point is moot now but my suggestion for next time is: Ask to see the dinner menu and split an entree with somebody or else just eat half of one by yourself.

Ok did you not see my reply? That's never enough food for me. I need volume. A small portion of high calorie food just doesn't fill me up... I'd rather have a big portion of low calorie food.. which is why going out to eat is often a struggle.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I would go for the Buffalo burger. Bison meat is quite lean and delicious and if I am going to eat out at a place this nice I would go for something really good and figure on eating light the rest of the day, or just going for maintenance.
  • MarlyIc1
    MarlyIc1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I almost always go for seafood oh and wine, always a glass or two ;)
  • MarlyIc1
    MarlyIc1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Same here. What I would do is cut down carbs in half or a third depending on the dish and how much protein and veggies there are. Or just try and order non carb dishes. Nice feeling soup but no dipping bread etc. may not be easy for everyone, my other half simply doesn't eat soup without bread. I just cut down carbs and sugar, try not to order desert etc. But I don't sacrifice wine that's for sure