How to prevent blisters when running?

Options
2»

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Vaseline. Wherever your hot spots are, just lube 'em up before you put on your socks and you'll be good to go!

but be careful with vaseline as it can stain some clothing-body glide and other similar products are not supposed to
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    I've opted for two pairs of socks before too and that has helped.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    My two solutions are:
    1. Wool socks (usually Smartwool PhD socks)
    2. Polypropylene wicking socks under another pair of socks

I do #1 when running, and #1 or #2 when hiking and when running in the winter. I tried Wigwam synthetic exercise socks for running, but I ended up getting a couple of blisters.

Fellrnr.com's advice on avoiding blisters is worth reading.
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    barbh2001 wrote: »
    I've tried all kinds of shoes and wicking socks. I always got blisters. The only thing that works for me is toe socks. Sounds like a weird fashion throwback. But they're made for runners. I buy a brand called ininji off amazon.

+1 I love the Injinji toe socks. I also have some SmartWool toe socks, but I'm not sure they make them anymore.
  • MarlyIc1
    MarlyIc1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Vaseline. Wherever your hot spots are, just lube 'em up before you put on your socks and you'll be good to go!

Yes, I've heard that before, will do, thanx!

• MarlyIc1
    Options
    I've tried all kinds of shoes and wicking socks. I always got blisters. The only thing that works for me is toe socks. Sounds like a weird fashion throwback. But they're made for runners. I buy a brand called ininji off amazon.

I've had those once, they felt weird, like I had something between my toes. Haven't really worn them, does the weird feel go away after getting used to them?

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

but be careful with vaseline as it can stain some clothing-body glide and other similar products are not supposed to

True, but I don't think that stains on socks are a big deal, and the OP was asking about her feet specifically.
  • MarlyIc1
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

True, but I don't think that stains on socks are a big deal, and the OP was asking about her feet specifically.

Hahaha correct, not really a concern but thanx for pointing that out :)

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    If all else fails, turn your socks inside out. Seriously.
  • caracpowers
    caracpowers Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. My solution is Wrightsocks. They are a double layer sock made for running and athletics. They are crazy expensive but they totally prevent blisters. You can get them at REI or some specialty running stores. Just wearing two pairs of socks can work too, but you have to fiddle around to find a good combination of material, thickness and fit. Wrightsocks eliminate the fiddling.
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    MarlyIc1 wrote: »

I've had those once, they felt weird, like I had something between my toes. Haven't really worn them, does the weird feel go away after getting used to them?

The injinji socks feel better than ordinary decorative novelty toe socks. I didn't like to wear those (not even for running, just wearing them at all). The injinji come in different thicknesses, so that might make a difference. But you might find a solution among all the other good suggestions here without them. Just avoid cotton.
  • barbh2001
    barbh2001 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

They feel weird if Im just walking around the house in them. Which I don't usually do. Once I get my shoes on and start running, they don't feel any different than regular socks.

I've tried Wright socks too. Love them. But still get blisters.
  • MarlyIc1
    Options
    I have the same problem. My solution is Wrightsocks. They are a double layer sock made for running and athletics. They are crazy expensive but they totally prevent blisters. You can get them at REI or some specialty running stores. Just wearing two pairs of socks can work too, but you have to fiddle around to find a good combination of material, thickness and fit. Wrightsocks eliminate the fiddling.

I think I have to pay a visit to one of those specialty sports stores, I did get new merino wool socks, double paired them, used vaseline and good bandaids and went for a long walk/run today. I did nearly twice as much as last time and only in the last 20 mins of it, started to feel blisters coming on again, well the same 2 major ones. Its a lot better but still not good enough. Getting new shoes soon anyway and tape, think tape is a must for my stubborn weird feet...Lots of hills/stairs don't make it any easier for my poor feet...

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    My two solutions are:
    1. Wool socks (usually Smartwool PhD socks)
    2. Polypropylene wicking socks under another pair of socks

I do #1 when running, and #1 or #2 when hiking and when running in the winter. I tried Wigwam synthetic exercise socks for running, but I ended up getting a couple of blisters.

Fellrnr.com's advice on avoiding blisters is worth reading.

^^^This especially for hiking/walking 2 layers, wicking and padding then the socks slip against each other rather than against your skin.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Tie your shoes like this video, I never had another blister and was able to run much further after I started tying them like this. The point is to have the shoe conform to the top of your foot so it doesnt slide around, also prevents your toes from smashing into the front of the shoe. At :50 seconds make sure you pull the shoes laces down, towards the ground, so the loops by the eyelets completely close:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Oz3W_bDHXWU

• MarlyIc1
    Options
    Tie your shoes like this video, I never had another blister and was able to run much further after I started tying them like this. The point is to have the shoe conform to the top of your foot so it doesnt slide around, also prevents your toes from smashing into the front of the shoe. At :50 seconds make sure you pull the shoes laces down, towards the ground, so the loops by the eyelets completely close:

Oh wow, thanx so much :)

• MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options

Oh wow, thanx so much :)

You're welcome! Did it work?? @MarlyIc1
  • MarlyIc1
    Options
    I took advice from a lot of people on here, yours as well @MsJulesRenee :smiley: and it seems to work! On extremely long workouts, might get a bit sore, but nothing like before, no blisters anymore, that's for sure..Thank you and everyone else who replied, you guys rock!