A bit embarrassing question.

I was pretty active a year ago. Then because of a surgical error, I was hospitalized for four months. I tried to get back at my regular activities, biking, hiking, birdwatching, but the zest just wasn't there. Now, I started swimming. I no sooner got into the pool, and the old pancreatic injury flared affair, and the doctors hadto put in drainage tubes. needless to say, that ended the swimming for now.
I now have diabetes because of this error.
Fall is my favorite time of year, so I decided to start walking again.
Here comes the embarrassing part. After a 45 minute walk, I have chaffing between my butt cheeks. It bleeds a little too.
Is there something I can do to elevate this?
Thanks for not laughing and any help/advice is appreciated.

Replies

• ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Body Glide should help.

P.S. No need to feel embarrassed! We've all had moments of humility here.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    There are many anti-chafing products for cyclists and runners. Any of those should work.

http://www.amazon.com/Chamois-Buttr-Original-8oz-tube/dp/B000HZGTUS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446236458&sr=8-1&keywords=chamois+buttr
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Anti chafing products

And the Monistat product shown there? It makes a great primer for make up. I kid you not.
  • vrokhfit
    vrokhfit Posts: 55 Member
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    Anti chafing products

And the Monistat product shown there? It makes a great primer for make up. I kid you not.

I used that Monistat one for my thighs at my wedding and didn't have any issues at all with chafing. I was super impressed.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Yes, glide products. I'm just popping in to say absolutely do not be ashamed. You are heroic! That's a lot of physical hardship to overcome. You ROCK!!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    it happens to us all,,,,, good for you in getting things back!
  • unicorrny
    unicorrny Posts: 6 Member
    Deodorant also works. ...at least it does for my thighs
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Vaseline.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    It's diaper rash. Aquaphor
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Thanks so much everyone. I'll head to the drug store for vaseline. It's less expensive I'm thinking. If that doesn't work, I'll try the other products. Oh, and I laughed when you said the Monistat is good as a primer for make-up. I don't wear make-up. I could never stand the feel of it on my face. Plus, the few times I did try it, I ended up smearing it all over my face.
    Thanks again everyone.
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Vaseline over night. You'll wake up feeling better. Then Vaseline after your walk.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    As a long distance cyclist I would recommend chamois cream. (Have a look on Amazon or in a local bike store.)

Well done you for your determination.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    That happened to me after a long day at the state fair. My inner thighs were raw. It was so painful that I couldn't even let my thighs touch. And they were scabbed for a week.
  • AquabearGO
    AquabearGO Posts: 232 Member
    Believe it or not, the best thing for this....good old Destyn, the baby rash cream.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    This happens to me sometimes, too. Thanks for posting and thanks to all for the tips!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Would baby powder help? I would think so.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Our local clinic no longer recommends baby powder. It can act as fine sandpaper and make the problem worse.

I vote for body glide.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Our local clinic no longer recommends baby powder. It can act as fine sandpaper and make the problem worse.

I vote for body glide.

Interesting. Did not know.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    I had the same problem but not as severe. Mine was because I sweat (everywhere!) like it's my job. It's painful so I hope you solve it soon. I found Body Glide to be the best. The diaper rash cream helped but it messed up my clothes and made it obvious I was having an issue. The Vaseline did the same thing. To get relief I had to put it on thicker than normal. But the Body Glide was truly a lifesaver. I had to get it at a running store. The regular grocery stores and places like Walgreens, CVS etc. will offer you AstroGlide. It is not the same thing. Good luck and I hope it gets better immediately no matter what you use!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    diaper rash ointment helps cure the redness. but when walking, use chalk or something, or extra large cotton panties wedged up there, sounds crazy but it works to keep the moisture level down and prevent chafing. it has to be cotton. I use chalk between my thighs when i run to keep them from chafing, i have to constantly reapply, but its great better than bodyglide, at least for me.