My Love Affair With The Scale

Options
My Love Affair with the Scale!

When I was young I never cared much about dieting and indeed would see my parents do their ‘diets’ and eyeball the scale each day with fervour.

I didn’t understand... that is until I fell in love.

At first, my kinship to the scale started as a scrawny teenager desperately trying to build muscle so that the girls would like me. If only I could get to the magic number I had in my mind, “200 pounds”. If only I could be that weight I thought, I’d be muscular and ripped.

From a scrawny 165 lb, 6’3” young man I did reach my 200lb goal my senior year of college but like most fantasies it wasn’t what I had thought. Suffice to say the extra-curricular activities of drinking beer and pizza had manifested the small beginnings of a beer belly, of which I didn’t think too much about because I reached my 200 pounds and indeed I was no longer a tiny weakling.

*Skip ahead present day*

The scale glares back at me flashing an angry 240lbs. How could this happen? Don’t you love me?

Our love hate relationship has been that of ups and downs, and we've seen the good times and bad. I’m in a love affair with my scale. I know I should have left this relationship long ago.

I am not unique. Like many, my morning ritual includes absently stepping on the scale hoping that by some divine means I will have dropped a pound overnight only to rudely discover a weight increase despite eating right and working out.

Have you ever stepped on the scale, didn't like the reading so stepped on it again several times and took the lowest reading? I have, and I’m sure I’m not alone.

What is this obsession with weight? I’ve been an on again off again gym member, I’ve read countless fitness magazines and have experienced weight gain with a reduction in measurements and yet my mind has been conditioned. What does the scale tell me?

The scale is the benchmark by which we have a tendency to measure our success. That is to say, despite our gains in muscle due increased activity, or perhaps the pants fitting just a bit more loosely, can all be deflated with a simple increase on the scale.

I think it’s time to end this love affair. Next time your scale doesn’t tell you that it loves you by way of a weight reduction, pay no heed. Unless of course you ate junk food all week and didn't exercise.

And while I will resume my daily habit checking the scale, I will remind myself to only record its advice once every week on the same day. I will remind myself that if the scale is unkind that it isn’t because I’m getting fatter, it’s because I’m getting better. I will remind myself to take inventory of my diet and remember to take measurements. I will remind myself that I’m doing well.

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Nice post.
  • MaruManic
    MaruManic Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Very well said, and a great read. I can relate to checking my weight multiple times, and recording the lowest. :] next time though, I will take your advice and not sweat it, because I'm activly betterng myself. Thanks for the advice/story.
  • hmschultz
    hmschultz Posts: 32
    Options
    I love this! I hate what the scale tells me and I can see by the definition in both my arms and legs WHY the scale says what it does. That doesn't mean I like what it says. l honestly don't know which is worse, the scale or the mirror! Thanks for posting this!
  • ladyluck5210
    ladyluck5210 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This is a great read. :) I'm pretty obessed with my scale. I weigh myself every day. I really can't imagine not weighing myself. I never used to check my weight when I was gaining, but now that I'm losing.. I'm a lot more inclined. Even when I KNOW I gained a pound.
  • kimark1
    kimark1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Excellent post!! You should be a writer!! I too had a love affair with the scale and my husband decided enough is enough and he threw it out about 10 years ago. Needless to say, I was actually happier but the weight kept climbing. I have now rejoined my old weight loss support group and am only weighing there once a week. It is the best thing for me as I know that if the scale reappeared in my house, I would be back to my affair with it. Thanks again for a great post!
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I hope you're a writer of some sort. That was very entertaining to read :P and so true!! I've stopped getting on the scale every day because I don't want it to determine how I feel!
  • Buttahbuns
    Options
    Great post...and so very true in so many ways! I too have had a love affair with my scales, and, unlike my wife, I have gotten rid of them for newer/advanced models...digital...analog...doctors office scales, but ultimately realizing that no matter which scale I place myself upon, the reality is that the readings all depend on me!

But there is also the understanding that if I feel good about myself and what I am accomplishing, it does not matter what my scale tells me...it's just a love/hate relationship that I will not allow to "weigh" on my mind!

Keep up the great work! :glasses:
  • Juggernautpint
    Juggernautpint Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the positive feed back! The belt is looser again but the scale is up. I'm not worried. Sure hope it's all muscle!