In Egg Heaven!!!

Options
Well heres the thing! I have always loved eggs (Organic/free range) But since starting MFP, I have noticed I eat a lot more eggs than I use to because they are almost carb free! I have been hearing though that eating too many eggs is really bad for you because of all the cholestrol in them.....should I really be over worried about that or not??

How many eggs is TOO MUCH in your opinion??

(By the way, I have tried so many times to eat "egg whites" on there own, but I just dont like them! Its the yolk I love but that seems to be the bad part!!)

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I would say no more than two a day. I love eggs too - luckily we have free range chickens, so I can have fresh, organic eggs all year round :happy:
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I love eggs too but limit them because they are loaded with saturated fat and cholesterol.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i eat a lot of eggs. i just find it a quick convenient snack (we have chooks, so i have plenty). i refuse to believe something so natural is that bad for you. usually it's not eggs that make people have high cholestorol and tonnes of fat, that's probably more due to the oil they are cooked in and the greasy slices of bacon added into the mix.

i boil about 7 eggs at a time and just leave them in the fridge when i'm starving and need something to fill me up quick, i have an egg (no extra salt, oil, sauce, grease, bacon, bread etc).

i don't worry about the cholestorol and so forth at the moment, because i'm not eating all that junk food, take aways, chips, lollies, biscuits etc. that i used to... so an egg is nothing compared to a big mac and large fries.

if you have high cholestorol, sure, you might need to avoid them, but the eggs on a healthy diet and good fitness isn't going to make too much hassle for an otherwise healthy person.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
  • Emilou9
    Emilou9 Posts: 44
    Options
    A great way to get the yolk and keep it healthy is to use a 1:2 whole egg to whites ratio. If I am making scrambled eggs, I will use one whole egg and two whites, which is also what I do when I fry them. I also make a low yolk egg salad with one whole egg and three whites. It really cuts down the calories and cholesterol, but still lets you have the creaminess from the yolk.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I had hard boiled eggstoday and love the yolk, but I took half of it out, so I still get some of the good stuff but not too much!
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    There are many studies coming out now that basically smash the corrolation between cholesterol in food effecting your blood cholesterol levels.

I think if you look hard enough you will find evidence to "prove" almost any medical claim you'd like to stand behind so in my opinion do what works for you and as long as you are in good health then you are doing what is right for YOU and that is all that matters.
  • ScorpioSista
    Options
    Try one whole egg and 2 or 3 egg whites, it tastes good.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    A great way to get the yolk and keep it healthy is to use a 1:2 whole egg to whites ratio. If I am making scrambled eggs, I will use one whole egg and two whites, which is also what I do when I fry them. I also make a low yolk egg salad with one whole egg and three whites. It really cuts down the calories and cholesterol, but still lets you have the creaminess from the yolk.

I agree, that's what I do - use one yolk and two egg whites!
  • dan76n
    dan76n Posts: 23
    Options

I agree, that's what I do - use one yolk and two egg whites!

yep, best way to do it if you eat lots of eggs and love the yolk.

Another option is mix egg white with skim milk and a flavouring (I use Milo) . When mixed well it thickens up similar to a smoothy/thickshake minus all the sugar.
    I have this every day.
  • monstr0sity
    Options
    I noticed I've been eating a lot more eggs since starting MFP too! I have 1 or two every few days :)