Help with calories/meal

Options
Can someone tell me if my math is right to figure out calories in a meal?

1320 calories 1753 grams
1120 calories 560 grams
560 calories 196 grams
60 calories 150 grams
228 calories 0 grams (2 tbs bacon grease)

Total
3288 calories
2659 grams =

1.23 calories per gram
123 calories for hundred grams

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    What? Do not understand.
  • gorgeousgwen
    gorgeousgwen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Huh??!! Confused lol
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Nope.

Calories isn't based off the actual weight of the food, but off what the food consists of.

Fat has 9 calories per gram and protein/carbs have 4 calories per gram.

For instance, 100g of cucumber is only 16 calories but 100g of chocolate is 546 calories.

There is no way to weigh food and go, "oh it's only 220g so using my formula that must be X calories". Each food has a different calorie amount per gram.

You can, however, go "Okay I have 45g of chocolate and chocolate has 5.46 calories per gram so it must be 245.7 calories"
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Calories are energy units and grams are weight units. Apples and oranges. Every type of food has a different calorie count per weight. So it all depends on what food is being weighed.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Is that really what the OP is asking though?

OP, I think you have a little reading up to do.
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry each line is a different food and the their calories
    Potatoes
    Potatoes 1320 calories 1753 grams
    Soy chorizo 1120 calories 560 grams
    Low fat cheese 560 calories 196 grams
    Onion 60 calories 150 grams
    So I added together all the calories and then added together all the weights/grams (it's all cooked in one pot)
    So then I took those calories and divided by the weight/grams to come up with 1.23 calories per gram...

Total
    3288 calories
    2659 grams =

1.23 calories per gram

Chorizo potato burrito

• blkandwhite77
    Options
    It's a if pot so I can't individually measure and weigh each ingredient
  • arditarose
    Options
    lol I knew she wasn't asking what you guys thought.

Still, I'm not gonna math that. You can just put it in the recipe builder.
  • blkandwhite77
    Options
    Apparently you all are not understanding my question. No reading up needed. I'm figuring out calories in a recipe.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Potatoes
    So I added together all the calories and then added together all the weights/grams (it's all cooked in one pot)
    So then I took those calories and divided by the weight/grams to come up with 1.23 calories per gram...

Total
    3288 calories
    2659 grams =

1.23 calories per gram

Chorizo potato burrito

Ohhh,

Yes you can do that.

Basically what you've done is what the recipe builder does. (It's a really good tool, I use it for my meal prep and it's really good for things like vegetable bake)
  • arditarose
    Options
    Apparently you all are not understanding my question. No reading up needed. I'm figuring out calories in a recipe.

If you want to figure out the calories in a bulk recipe you should weigh everything prior to putting it in the pot and use the recipe builder. Then weigh it after and create the serving sizes. I think.
  • blkandwhite77
    Options
    So if anyone has any knowledge on how to manually do a recipe builder formula please only then respond. Thanks :)
  • arditarose
    Options
    So if anyone has any knowledge on how to manually do a recipe builder formula please only then respond. Thanks :)

mmk bye
  • blkandwhite77
    Options
    In this dish there are 1753 grams of potatoes totally 1320 calories.
    There is 560 grams of soy chorizo totaling 1120 calories. Etc with the ingredients.
    I need to figure out how many calories per gram so that when I dish out the combined food that are mixed together I can weigh and get an accurate calorie count
  • blkandwhite77
    Options
    I did weigh everything before going in the pot that's how I came up with those grams for each ingredient :/ the recipe builder on here for me only shows servings ( not how much each serving weighs) I need to know by weight not by 1/12 of the dish if that makes sense
  • blkandwhite77
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    Potatoes

Total
    3288 calories
    2659 grams =

1.23 calories per gram

Chorizo potato burrito

Ohhh,

Yes you can do that.

Basically what you've done is what the recipe builder does. (It's a really good tool, I use it for my meal prep and it's really good for things like vegetable bake)

Thank you sadly I can't figure out to get the recipe builder to give servings size just like 1/12 of dish but I wanted to weigh it because ya it's a big pot lol trying to figure out 1/24th or something of the dish would make a not very accurate portion size/calorie intake
  • blkandwhite77
    Options
    I did the math I just wanted to clarify if I was doing the final part correct. In other words would it be calories divided by grams or grams divided by calories... If that makes sense?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Do what you did to get the overall calories. So, the total calories for the recipe are 3288.

However, when calculating final serving calories per gram, it doesn't matter what the ingredients weighed before you cooked them. You need to get the final weight of the recipe after it is cooked. You can weigh the pot before you cook, weigh the food in the pot when it's done, then subtract the weight of the pot.

Let's say that the final weight is 2210 g. That would give 3288 calories divided by 2210 g final recipe weight which equals about 1.49 calories per gram.
  • blkandwhite77
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

mmk bye

Wasn't meant to be rude. I just think a lot of people were confused with what I was asking
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Divide the weight by 100. Then make that the number of servings. Each serving will be 100 grams in weight then.