Digital Food Scales

Options
I have come to the conclusion that I really need to get a digital food scale to ensure I am measuring my calorie intake properly. Can you tell me what brand you have and if you like it?

I'd also like to say that I'm new to MFP and I really appreciate all the great information that everyone here is so willing to share. I have already learned so much from you!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Salter.

Has a tare button, several different measurements (oz, fl oz, lb, g and ml).
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    Taylor. I think I got it at Target....or Best Buy. I've had it for 6 years and haven't had problems or had to change the battery!
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I use the Salter 1036 slim design electronic scale. We have analogue Salter scales which are great so I stuck with a bit of brand loyalty. As long as you weigh something on your scales that you know the accurate weight of then you can see if they're correct. :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    oxo
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    $15. Cheapy from WM or BB&beyond. Make sure it is battery operated and has a tare button.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Every time this thread comes up, everyone recommends their own. I've come to the conclusion that they're all equally good and you should just buy the cheapest digital scale that whatever store you go to has.
  • dwasson56
    dwasson56 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I would get one at a store but I have been unable to find one where I live. I will need to order online and with all the choices I really wanted to see what others use. You have been a great help and I appreciate it.
  • NotPhyllis
    NotPhyllis Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I try to research products before I buy them. I try to rely on Consumer Reports or Cooks Illustrated ( America's Test Kitchen) because they do not carry advertising. Being an old fashioned person, I like to tough and hold a product before I buy, too.

Consumer Reports has not rated digital food scales. Cools Illustrated has not done a comparison but mentioned that it like the OXO scale. However, they cite one for $50.00 which was too high for me especially in light of all the other scales available at the $15-20 range.

I looked through as many MFP entries which named names, looked at Amazon for scales which had the most number of ratings and then compared the number of stars. I also searched Reddit.com.

Brands which were positively mentioned a lot include Ozeri Pronto, Ozeri Pro, Escali ( a couple models), Eat Smart, MIRA and OXO.

I then went to Bed Bath and Beyond to look at actual models. I was leaning towards the Escali or Ozeri, but a couple people mentioned that they were plastic and felt cheap.

Criteria which were important to me were:

visual ease of read out,

ability to move between pounds and kilograms,

a tare function,

uses AAA batteries rather than lithium batteries which are more expensive,

flat tray for weighing which can be removed for cleaning,

accuracy of measurements at low weights (Cooks Illustrated November 2015 issue said that 1 US nickel =5 grams; 5 US quarters+1US nickel= 1 oz.) ( a single sheet of Kleenex weighs about 1-2 g)

When I got to BB&B I found that OXO also makes a 5lb max scale priced at $25 in addition to the 10lb scale at $50. I used the BB&B 20% coupon which never expires and got my smaller OXO scale for $20. (I don't recall seeing the smaller OXO on Amazon, fwiw).

The weight accuracy checked out . I used 1 nickel and 1 piece of (clean) Kleenex to the bemusement of teh salesclerk.

Hope this helps.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    OXO gets good reviews and its display detaches for big pots. It's most annoying feature is it insists on defaulting ito pounds.