Jumping onto the welcome wagon

Options
Hello Everyone,

I stumbled across this site yesterday. I'm glad I did. This is now my second day here and I must say I'm impressed with this site. I'm pretty confident that changes in my weight and health are in my future. I'm finding myself seriously aware of what I'm feeding myself and when. I've never counted calories, logged the food I eat, etc. So this is a first for me. I am not one to overeat unless I've waited too long and become famished. I guess this happens more than I would like to admit. I've thrown my metabolism totally out of wack. Over the last couple of days my thought process about food has changed and I have this site to thank for it.

I'm also noticing that I'm more dedicated to making sure I get my exercise in. Having Fibromyalgia has impacted my activity level for years. Pain is a great deterrent to movement, even though lack of movement actually makes the fibro worse. But last night I still had 20 minutes left to do and it was 9:30PM. Usually, I would simply justify that it was too late to exercise and then lie to myself that I'd make it up tomorrow. Not last night. It kept nagging at me that I hadn't completed my goal. I hated the thought of completing the day in my diary with that deficit remaining. So after the internal battle had finished... I got up and exercised. Afterward, I felt really good about holding myself to my commitment. Again, the credit goes to this site which has motivated me to set and accomplish my goals. I also like that the community here seems very supportive and encouraging. The success stories are inspiring and make me hopeful that I can do this and be healthy and active again. I look forward to making new friends here and offering my support to those needing encouragement too. :wink:

Replies

• BeachGirl6871
    BeachGirl6871 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm new too and really loving this site and the people have been really helpful! :flowerforyou:
  • Nikkita29
    Nikkita29 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! This is a great place for advice, support, encouragement and accountability! I fell off the bandwagon for a few weeks after vacation and summertime craziness, but I immediately felt better as soon as I got back! As an added bonus, even while I was off the bandwagon loggin my food, I was still very consious of what I was eating and how much exercise I was getting, thanks to what I'd learned so far from logging before. My main goal joining was to change my lifestyle and eating habits, and even on days I don't log, I have found that it's helping me make better choices. Also wanted to say I have fibromyalgia as well, and I know how hard it can be to exercise through the pain. My goal once I started MFP was to at least walk on the treadmill - even if I have to go slow - when I have a flare up. So far, exercising seems to have decreased the amount of and intensity of my flare ups! So again, welcome, and GOOD LUCK! :smile:
  • Debkam
    Debkam Posts: 80
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragements. BeachGirl6871 I'm a beachgirl too. Use to live in San Diego. In fact that is the bay in the background of my profile photo. That was taken when I was still in good shape. It reminds me what I'm shooting for every time I log on. I miss the beach :sad:

Nikkita29 I find the exercise is also helping to minimize the flares. I bought a mini fitness tramp to maximize my workouts with minimal impact on my joints. It's also great in getting my lymphatic system moving again. I love it. It's a bit too hot out for me to walk. The heat wipes out my energy making me sluggish and unproductive. I'm really loving the site so far. I've even downloaded an app for my new android. I discovered that the program tracks nutrients, fats, cholesterol, etc. I'm really liking it.

Can someone tell me what NSV means? I've seen it a few times in the message boards but haven't been able to figure out the acronym.