The difference between IIFYM and moderation?

Options
nvmomketo
nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
Is there much of a difference between IIFYM and moderation (in all foods)?

They seem mostly the same to me. IIFYM often seems to follow a "clean eating" plan with the occasional treat whereas moderation seems to be the SAD with (for some - the more successful people perhaps) a focus on more nutrient dense foods, which often happen to be less highly processed, and more regular treats. In both, treats fit the calories and macros.

Is that about right?

Replies

• emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    IIFYM didnt seem to be the same as moderation to me at all. The people that I know that follow that say you can eat whatever you want for the day as long as it fits within your macro goals. That could be a day of just unhealthy fast food if it's within your goals. And you can turn around and eat that way all week if it's in your macro goals. Where moderation may be just having a serving of ice cream once a week or when you want it. Or just having that unhealthy fast food once a week. With moderation, maybe you can only have a single burger (like 1/4 lb) and cheese no fries. Or something like that. But IIFYM you could have both if it fits into your goals, then turn around and something else not so healthy later that day. I get how you would see IIFYM being the same as moderation because you would think that you couldn't fit a lot of unhealthy things in a day, but when I did it, my macro goals allowed for a lot of junk in just one day that did not seem to be close to eating junk in moderation.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    IIFYM suggests achieving a specific taget whereas "moderation" suggests avoiding extremes in quantity or choices. You could FYM with protein powder, sugar and cream but it probably wouldn't be moderate by any measure.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    They are both concepts. How they are applied will vary from person to person. The distinctions being made in this thread? Arbitrary and incorrect.

IIFYM has been abused by people and it's been used well. So has the concept of moderation.

In my opinion, they're the same thing, but IIFYM focuses more specifically on hitting macronutrient targets.

For example? I might end my day with a small dish of ice cream if I'm practicing moderation. If I'm practicing IIFYM? I've chosen that ice cream because I need to round out my day with some more fat intake and a little more protein never hurts.
  • rtp_slg52181
    rtp_slg52181 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    emhunter wrote: »
    IIFYM didnt seem to be the same as moderation to me at all. The people that I know that follow that say you can eat whatever you want for the day as long as it fits within your macro goals. That could be a day of just unhealthy fast food if it's within your goals. And you can turn around and eat that way all week if it's in your macro goals. Where moderation may be just having a serving of ice cream once a week or when you want it. Or just having that unhealthy fast food once a week. Maybe you can only have a single burger (like 1/4 lb) and cheese no fries. Or something like that. But IIFYM you could have both if it fits into your goals, then turn around and something else not so healthy later that day. I get how you would see IIFYM being the same as moderation because you would think that you couldn't fit a lot of unhealthy things in a day, but when I did it, my macro goals allowed for a lot of junk moderation didn't.

Your macro/micro goals are where the problem would be

IIFYM is if done right IIFYM&M. Once you account for micro needs your fast food example becomes quite impossible to do more than once in a while unless you are quite active male and bulking.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    They are both concepts. How they are applied will vary from person to person. The distinctions being made in this thread? Arbitrary and incorrect.

IIFYM has been abused by people and it's been used well. So has the concept of moderation.

In my opinion, they're the same thing, but IIFYM focuses more specifically on hitting macronutrient targets.

For example? I might end my day with a small dish of ice cream if I'm practicing moderation. If I'm practicing IIFYM? I've chosen that ice cream because I need to round out my day with some more fat intake and a little more protein never hurts.

Exactly this.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

^^ this.
  • emhunter
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @rtp_slg52181 I disagree my goals were the problem. Because of my height and weight at the time, even an aggressive goal of losing 2 pounds a week, I had a lot of room to eat a lot of junk. More than I would allow to consider myself eating junk in moderation. That does not mean that that's what I did while following IIFYM, but following that plan, it allowed more than what i or many would argue was moderation.

My fast food example was not implying that you can eat 5 triple cheeseburgers all day, but it was showing that you COULD go to a fast food place and strategically get items that fit within your goals. But I don't think that's eating moderately. There are other items besides burger and fries on the menu.

Despite the fact that people do abuse IIFYM that does not change the fact that, following that concept, you can have more than most would argue as eating in moderation. While moderation is a subjective term, I do think it can be more limiting than IIFYM.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

They seem mostly the same to me. IIFYM often seems to follow a "clean eating" plan with the occasional treat whereas moderation seems to be the SAD with (for some - the more successful people perhaps) a focus on more nutrient dense foods, which often happen to be less highly processed, and more regular treats. In both, treats fit the calories and macros.

Is that about right?

I don't think that's right. IIFYM (and micros) as I understand it is a focus on whole, nutrient dense foods, with other foods of choice added to meet macronutrient goals. The quote* I think of as being associated with this is "you don't get extra points for going over on nutrition."

I think of moderation as just a focus on eating all the foods you like and want to eat, but doing so in a way that avoids extremes (whatever you consider extreme). I think for most people, that fits with the general view of IIFYM that you should focus on getting all your nutrition and include other foods of choice, but the focus of moderation is more about the quantity and frequency of foods enjoyed rather than trying to hit a certain macro or micro profile.

*Not an exact quote, but I think it was tweeted by Abraham Lincoln :p
  • rtp_slg52181
    Options
    @rtp_slg52181 I disagree my goals were the problem. Because of my height and weight at the time, even an aggressive goal of losing 2 pounds a week, I had a lot of room to eat a lot of junk. More than I would allow to consider myself eating junk in moderation. That does not mean that that's what I did while following IIFYM, but following that plan, it allowed more than what i or many would argue was moderation.

My fast food example was not implying that you can eat 5 triple cheeseburgers all day, but it was showing that you COULD go to a fast food place and strategically get items that fit within your goals. But I don't think that's eating moderately. There are other items besides burger and fries on the menu.

Despite the fact that people do abuse IIFYM that does not change the fact that, following that concept, you can have more than most would argue as eating in moderation. While moderation is a subjective term, I do think it can be more limiting than IIFYM.

Ok ;)

I won't argue, since I have no clue how large you were, or what your macros were set to, or if they were set correctly to your goals, or if you even tracked your micros.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

I'm confused. Why would that not be eating moderately? Am I missing something?

• rtp_slg52181
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

I'm confused. Why would that not be eating moderately? Am I missing something?

You're missing her definition of moderation, which seems to have something to do with how the food you are eating is perceived by the general public.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    To my mind, most folks here use an IIFYM type approach. Low carb is IIFYM if you think about it. And a low carb diet as with any diet can be nutrient dense, or nutrient poor.

The IIFYM.com website uses a picture of big greasy pizza on their definition page. I think that's an unfortunate logo. But that's just my opinion.

I think some people here use IIFYM to mean eat anything they want as long as it fits that 40/30/30 split. Others use it as a way to build a nutrient dense diet. The latter being a better option, again, in my opinion.

Moderation.... that word gets used a lot here, but I'm not sure there's an agreed upon definition. One of our more prolific former posters (who seems to have left us) used the example of "saving room" in her calories for a cookie every few days, and part of a cupcake another day. I dunno if that's moderation in my mind, but again, it seems to be a personal thing.

• emhunter
    Options
    @Dnarules agreed in moderation is a subjective term. Within reasonable limits and not to excess is the definition I'm going by. Just because I met my macro goals, to me, did not meet my definition of eating less healthy foods in moderation. I prefer to limit my intake of certain foods more than just fitting certain foods within my macro goals.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I will cosign this as well.

Another day, another semantics debate. Never change MFP, never change...
  • PeachyCarol
    edited October 2015
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

Is that about right?

I don't think that's right. IIFYM (and micros) as I understand it is a focus on whole, nutrient dense foods, with other foods of choice added to meet macronutrient goals. The quote* I think of as being associated with this is "you don't get extra points for going over on nutrition."

I think of moderation as just a focus on eating all the foods you like and want to eat, but doing so in a way that avoids extremes (whatever you consider extreme). I think for most people, that fits with the general view of IIFYM that you should focus on getting all your nutrition and include other foods of choice, but the focus of moderation is more about the quantity and frequency of foods enjoyed rather than trying to hit a certain macro or micro profile.

Pretty much this too. Especially old Abe tweeting.

I'm going to guess IIFYM was born as a response to the bro diet of chicken breast, brown rice and broccoli. Sort of, lighten up, bro, it's okay to have some ice cream after you eat that ish, okay?
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Is that about right?

I'm going to guess IIFYM was born as a response to the bro diet of chicken breast, brown rice and broccoli. Sort of, lighten up, bro, it's okay to have some ice cream after you eat that ish, okay?

That's what I thought too. It's why I mentioned clean eating (as I understand it from Tosca Reno and Men's Health). It seems to be adding a bit of a treat to the "clean" diet but making it fit your macros (and calories too I assume). If that is the case, it seems like moderation - a treat here and there but without the "clean" diet.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    I think in most practical applications, people who are into nutrition and training who follow IIFYM do eat mostly nutrient dense foods and have occasional treats.

However, there are cases where you know? Hey, friends are going out for pizza, and it's just one of those days. It's nothing to sweat over.

I think if you look at someone like Michael Phelps (not saying he follows IIFYM), but he's in phenomenal shape. His macro needs when he's in training are crazy! Not to mention his caloric intake. Just read this to see what he eats when he's carb loading. http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/08/13/the-michael-phelps-diet-dont-try-it-at-home/
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I think in most practical applications, people who are into nutrition and training who follow IIFYM do eat mostly nutrient dense foods and have occasional treats.

However, there are cases where you know? Hey, friends are going out for pizza, and it's just one of those days. It's nothing to sweat over.

I think if you look at someone like Michael Phelps (not saying he follows IIFYM), but he's in phenomenal shape. His macro needs when he's in training are crazy! Not to mention his caloric intake. Just read this to see what he eats when he's carb loading. http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/08/13/the-michael-phelps-diet-dont-try-it-at-home/

12000 kcal per day!?! Yikes. Yep, you definitely need food to be palatable to get that much in ... That is 8X as much as I eat!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Michael Phelps said that that number is wrong.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/05/michael-phelps-12000-calorie-diet-just-a-myth/1#.VjUY9aI6Rm8

These are his words from an interview with Ryan Seacrast
    "I never ate that much, "Phelps said. "It's all a myth. I've never eaten that many calories."

Seacrest replied: "Good because I was starting to loathe you, that you could really eat all this."

Said Phelps: "I wish. It's too much though. It's pretty much impossible."
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Is that about right?

https://youtu.be/qNcsHKOQX1E