losing muscle

Options
wangjue
wangjue Posts: 11 Member
Hi,

I start with myfitnesspal 1 month ago and like it very much and alreay lost 5 pounds. I do 3 excerises each week swimming and badminton. I recently got a fullbody sensor and found that seems I'm losing both fat and muscle in my body. Fat losing faster, which is good. But I don't want to lose my muscle, is that because I ate too less protein?

thanks
Jue

Replies

• kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Start lifting weights, Cardio burns fat and muscle. to stop that start lifting weights or doing strength training exercises.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Long-term muscle loss is inevitable when at a chronic caloric deficit. The best you can do is this:

1) Set your deficit appropriately - lose 1-2 pounds per week. The slower you lose, the less risk of catabolism.
    2) Eat at least 1g protein per pound lean body mass every single day.
    3) Train with heavy weights 3-5x per week.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary but my first thought is too little protein.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I always keep my protein level at 30%. I run and I do strenght traing as well. whey protein is great for more protein.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    You might want to add a branched chain amino acid supplement. BCAA's are a good addition to help with muscle catabolism.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    we all will lose muscle while losing weight you don't need the same amount muscle to carry yourself as you did at your bigger size. point is muscle can also be rebuild as well
  • wangjue
    Options
    Can't see your diary but my first thought is too little protein.

Just changed my diary share settings. I think you can see it now.
  • porter67
    porter67 Posts: 1
    Options
    How many times do you eat a day? I try to eat 5 to 6 meals a day.
  • wangjue
    Options
    3 time. what do you eat each meals?
  • zomoro56
    zomoro56 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It has been pretty much touched on but the best way to lose as little muscle as possible is through getting the right amount of protein, eating 5-6 meals a day(3 meals and 2-3 snacks) and maybe using some branch chain amino acids or a glutamine supplement.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Long-term muscle loss is inevitable when at a chronic caloric deficit. The best you can do is this:

1) Set your deficit appropriately - lose 1-2 pounds per week. The slower you lose, the less risk of catabolism.

You hit the nail on the head!
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options

You hit the nail on the head!

Yes! When body builders shrink to their muscular selves, they eat protein as described above. I maintain muscle at healthy levels this way.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Do this.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You're going to lose muscle mass if you have any significant amount to lose. The best way to try to retain the majority of it is to not lose your weight too fast, to eat a proper amount of protein, and to start a solid strength training program.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    double post.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough...period. Never mind protein, you need more food of ANY kind at this point.
    Most days you net under 1000.
    As a male with very little to lose, you should be getting a net of BARE MINIMUM 1500 a day, preferably more.

Yes more protein is great, but ADD it to your diet, don't replace something else with it. you need MORE fuel for your body.

Change your calorie goal to 1600 and aim to REACH it daily, don't aim to stay UNDER it.

Set your protein to abut 30%, LOWER your sodium intake, like a LOT, drink more water, and get more fiber.
  • wangjue
    Options
    I eat about 1200-1500 calorie each day as the mfp advice. I didn't count the burnned calorie by excerise. seems I need eat more when excerise.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    You are not eating enough...period. Never mind protein, you need more food of ANY kind at this point.
    Most days you net under 1000.
    As a male with very little to lose, you should be getting a net of BARE MINIMUM 1500 a day, preferably more.

Yes more protein is great, but ADD it to your diet, don't replace something else with it. you need MORE fuel for your body.

Change your calorie goal to 1600 and aim to REACH it daily, don't aim to stay UNDER it.

Set your protein to abut 30%, LOWER your sodium intake, like a LOT, drink more water, and get more fiber.

I don't think he's in the US though? Is that right? If so, I would think that the locally prepared asian foods are prepared a bit healthier than the westernised versions we get.
  • wangjue
    Options
    I'm actually in US, but I grew up in China. So we cook Chinese food at home.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Aah gotcha. I agree with the sodium comment then.

And yep, need to eat a bit more. IMO no male should ever really need to eat less than 1500cals. Got to fuel those workouts.