Holiday season is coming up... that means COOKIES!

Options
I love baking cookies for the holiday, but I want to make them healthy but STILL TASTE DELICIOUS... Whats your favorite recipes for Cookies????

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I asked last year and people recommended these

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/10402/the-best-rolled-sugar-cookies/

They were delicious.

And there is no such thing as a good 'healthy' cookie.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that if you include flax seeds at minimum in your recipe, it doesn't matter if the calories are 2-3x as many as regular cookie recipes. They're "healthy", so...

Beware of healthy recipes, Healthy is a meaningless term and usually is just code for "recipe includes trendy overpriced whatnots from WholeFoods" and are more often than not a calorie-bomb.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Cookies are fine in moderation. I make ginger snaps (real ones with plenty of ginger and cloves that are nothing like the store-bought ones!) and vanilla crescents (bent Lady Fingers, if you know them by that name) that are fairly low in sugar (for cookies) but still taste good. The crescents also have nuts as a base.

If you want my family recipes, I might be induced to share. PM me though or I might forget.

I use the rule of three for cookies. More than three, let them be. :D
  • Sapphires4me
    Sapphires4me Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Last year my daughter became gluten free. It was difficult to do all our Christmas cookies, but went on Pinterest and type in 'gluten free cookies' and found quite a few that were really good.
  • HittinTheRoadAgain
    HittinTheRoadAgain Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know they can't be a 100% healthy because cookies are cookies but ones that don't make me feel guilty if I have 2... Or will I forever feel guilty? Lol
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I told dh that maybe we'd have cranberry sauce. We're gluten free so cookies don't tempt us, and I drank a LOT of eggnog last year and the thought of it is a little bit naseating still.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    COOKIES....................I'm in. I bake alot of them every year for gifts, and am always looking for new recipes. No guilt here. Eat 'em and log 'em.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I've substituted chickpeas for the flour in previous recipes. They were definitely not the same as a normal chocolate chip, but we're still good and different(:
  • courtcassiefit
    courtcassiefit Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    http://amyshealthybaking.com/blog/2014/12/11/soft-baked-ginger-cookies/
    these ginger snaps are yummy!
    shes got some great cookie recipes
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    What's healthy mean to you? There are good cookie recipes in almost every category from low-cal to gluten-free. Personally, I think a chocolate chip cookie is plenty healthy as long as it's a treat and not a main meal for the day, so I'm going to need some clarification before I can make a good suggestion.
  • lewhitney12
    lewhitney12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know you can make peanut butter cookies with peanut butter and an egg. I googled it, also I saw a recipe that used mashed banana and oatmeal! You can find a lot of great recipes using google and youtube! Or look jazzythings up on Instagram!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    My favorite holiday cookie is Oreo truffle balls.

1 18 oz package of oreos or hydrox cookies crushed to fine crumbs.

Mix with one package of cream cheese until you have a smooth dough ball. ( use neufchatel which is lower in calories and just as good).

refrigerate for 1 hour.

Form into 1 inch balls.

Melt one package of semi-sweet chocolate chip on a double boiler and stir in a tablespoon of vegetable oil.

Dip cookie balls into the melted chocolate and set on waxed paper. Cool in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

Enjoy either at room temp or cold.

These are very rich so you only need a couple to be satisfied. I give them out by the half-dozen as holiday gifts to friends. They are very popular.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    My favorite are snowballs. Hershey used to have a small white chocolate baking chip with red and green swirls that had the recipe on the bag. They have about 4 ingredients: Butter, flour, powdered sugar and baking chips.

So, so, so many calories but heavenly. They taste like they have about 5 calories, but they probably have about 200 calories in each one and they're only about an inch in diameter. I don't have the recipe handy, but an alternate recipe can be found using regular chocolate or white chocolate chips. I use red and green jimmies too, just for the festive colors.
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I've noticed that if you include flax seeds at minimum in your recipe, it doesn't matter if the calories are 2-3x as many as regular cookie recipes. They're "healthy", so...

Beware of healthy recipes, Healthy is a meaningless term and usually is just code for "recipe includes trendy overpriced whatnots from WholeFoods" and are more often than not a calorie-bomb.

Amen.
    It is a marketing ploy to take your $$$$
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My favorite are white chocolate chip, cranberry, pretzel cookies. I know they sound busy but they are good. I use this recipe, but I put in 1 cup each of the chips, pretzels, and cranberrys. 2 cups of white chocolate chips is too sweet for me.

http://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com/white-chocolate-cranberry-pretzel-cookies-jumbles/

Oh and I know there are some healthier cookie recipes over on the skinnytaste website, but I've never made any because cookies aren't healthy.

If you are really worried about calories make Pavlovas or merengue cookies. I like to add crushed candy cane to mine and they basically just egg whites and sugar with some cream of tartar. I don't add chips to mine or walnuts but you can pretty much add whatever you like.

http://www.food.com/recipe/overnight-cookies-518274
  • SharonDenzien
    SharonDenzien Posts: 21 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I made flourless chocolate cookies that even my husband loved. 69 calories per cookie and they taste sinful. No weird ingredients. Also check Pinterest for energy balls. Lots of ideas that you can tweak the recipe. I attached the recipe for cookies.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    On the Libby pumpkin website there is a recipe for a pumpkin oatmeal cookie. I add chocolate chips and it's really good.
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My favorite holiday cookie is Oreo truffle balls.

1 18 oz package of oreos or hydrox cookies crushed to fine crumbs.

Mix with one package of cream cheese until you have a smooth dough ball. ( use neufchatel which is lower in calories and just as good).

refrigerate for 1 hour.

Form into 1 inch balls.

Melt one package of semi-sweet chocolate chip on a double boiler and stir in a tablespoon of vegetable oil.

Dip cookie balls into the melted chocolate and set on waxed paper. Cool in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

Enjoy either at room temp or cold.

These are very rich so you only need a couple to be satisfied. I give them out by the half-dozen as holiday gifts to friends. They are very popular.

:o woah... These I'll be making.