Vegetarian not getting enough protein?

Options
I've been a vegetarian for six months now, and I haven't put much thought into the fact that I might not be getting enough protein. Now that I am using MFP, however, I've really realized how much I'm lacking. I went out of my way today to eat organic peanut butter and some cheese which both have protein, but I am still 31 grams short. I don't want to continue eating a ton of fatty foods, but I need more protein -- any ideas?

Replies

• jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Legumes have tons of protein.:smile:
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Do you eat soy meat? That's where I get most of mine from. Walmart has a fairly decent selection. Also, egg whites are good, and nuts and beans as well. Kashi cereal has a good amout of protein, too. It takes awhile to get used to having to actively search out protein sources, I know. I've been a vegetarian for 7 and a half years.
  • jpeterburs88
    jpeterburs88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    maybe a protein bar? or protein water? another thing you have to watch out for is B-12. Its a vitamin typically found in meat products. I was a vegetarian for about 5 months last year (didnt last long- i missed chicken,lol) and my doc reccomended I take them. I found a brand at the vitamin store (can't think of it now..) that was B-12 plus energy chewable.
  • tubbersnomore
    Options
    I'm vegan, and I use Pea Protein and mix it into smoothies or cereal.
  • kimeister
    kimeister Posts: 212
    Options
    I'm veg and I'm always over my protein allowance. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beans (black, kidney, refried) and faux meats. Also protein shakes are a huge boon.
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, and according to MFP I'm always over on my protein. I eat a lot of whole grain carbs (these have more protein than many people realize), nuts, beans, and soy products.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Beans combined with a whole grain is a great way to get protein. Red beans and rice, chili with cornbread, six bean soup with wheat toast, etc. When you combine the two you get "complete protein" (all the amino acids the body needs to rebuild into the protein it needs to create are present).

And make sure you watch the B-12, too!
  • gcumpson
    gcumpson Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm veg and I'm always over my protein allowance. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beans (black, kidney, refried) and faux meats. Also protein shakes are a huge boon.

This is what I do I am a veggie with an egg allergy :s My husband loves this site for me because i eat way more than ever ! Best of luck
  • juliamariep
    Options
    Thanks everyone! There are great ideas, I can't believe I was overlooking so many great foods.
  • shelli1982
    shelli1982 Posts: 133
    Options
    Hi! I've been Veg for like 15 years and struggled for a while too. Greek Yogurt is great, usually around 15 g per serving. I also eat a lot of black beans and Quinoa. Also, i've started eating something called Quorn... it's made out of mycoprotein (comes from the cell wall of mushroom I think). I HATE mushrooms but this stuff just sort of tastes like chicken. They make "tenders" that I mix into stir-fries with lots of veggies and brown rice, or indian-style meals. You can also do "chicken" tacos, etc. They also make "grounds" that you can use in place of ground beef. Being frozen, they do have quite a bit of sodium so you have to watch that.. but... yeah. pretty good protein source. They also do "cutlets" that come with different cheese (also good protein!) like goat cheese or gruyere. I get them in the natural food section of my grocery store.

I also occasionally have morningstar farm black bean burgers, etc.

Hope that gives you a few ideas!
  • shelli1982
    shelli1982 Posts: 133
    Options
    OH I forgot to mention.. I get fruit smoothies on the mornings I need to eat while working and add vanilla whey protein powder. Yum!