Halloween pumpkin

Options
alwisa
alwisa Posts: 2 Member
I've bought a pumpkin to carve out for Halloween. Any recommendations on recipes once I've hollowed it out?

Btw, I'm looking for a ghoul friend. Just kidding! My wife'll kill me!

Replies

• Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Spicy pumpkin soup: boil with some chicken stock chopped onion, add a tea spoon of curry powder and blend.
  • Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    look up roasted pumpkin seeds
  • Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    rinse and bake the carved out pieces and use in any pumpkin recipe if you have enough
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Spicy pumpkin soup: boil with some chicken stock chopped onion, add a tea spoon of curry powder and blend.

Hmm... think I might try this. I was wondering what to do with the pumpkin I bought at a farm stand last week. This sounds yummy.

Glad the thread got posted.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I didn't think the big carving pumpkins were good for eating. I have no idea, other than to roast the seeds.
  • shadowfax_c11
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I didn't think the big carving pumpkins were good for eating. I have no idea, other than to roast the seeds.

The bigger ones tend to be tougher and not as good but the small pie pumpkins are supposed to be quite god. This is the first year I have bought one to cook so this is an experiement for me.

I should save the seeds for roasting. Keep thinking I should do that with the squash seeds I keep throwing away too...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

This. There are specific types of pumpkins for eating.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I tried using one for pumpkin pie one year. Ugh. It was terrible! I have since learned there are specific types of pumpkins better suited for pie. However, I hate to waste anything. I might try the blended soup. It is just a squash after all! (I have several small ones that I bought at farm stand for very cheap to decorate around the house.)

I would say that if you are using the pumpkin for carving a jack-o-lantern, you probably won't want to eat it after it's been sitting on your porch for a few days. Seems like a no-brainer, but OP did say he had bought it for carving and was looking for recipes.

For the seeds, I usually clean them up really well then soak in water and sea salt for a day. Rinse well, coat with a little olive oil and seasonings (garlic, paprika, onion powder, curry, whatever you like). Roast in a slow oven, stirring once in awhile until light brown. Cool on paper towels. Yum!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

This^

Jack-O-Lantern pumpkins are stringy. I'm sure you can eat it, but it won't be as tasty.

http://www.news-press.com/story/life/moms/2015/10/28/tips-carving-eating-pumpkins/74746996/

Pumpkins for eating are smaller and dark orange in color.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

+1 on this.
  • Sjanneyr
    Sjanneyr Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Here are my favorites!

http://www.food.com/recipe/spicy-roasted-butternut-seeds-pumpkin-seeds-50958

http://www.food.com/recipe/pumpkin-curry-soup-31749 (no need to add the milk at the end, I think it is tastier and definitely healthier without!)
  • alwisa
    alwisa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks community for your tips. I have a large pumpkin so won't cook it but will use the seeds. Happy Halloween!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    pumpkin and black bean soup,, its the best and so healthy, and everyone eats it all the minute I make it. yum, now I want some... sigh......
  • shadowfax_c11
    Options
    Oh man. I made the spicy pumpkin soup for dinner. It's spicy alright And really delicious and only about 50 calories per cup! :)
  • rats2010
    rats2010 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The larger pumpkins work really well if you puree them or use a potato masher on them once they've been boiled. Obviously the masher will leave some lumps but it all goes ok in breads, soups, muffins.. pie is better with the puree. You can also freeze the extra!
  • theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Not pumpkin but Orange bell peppers stuffed
    5hyd6qpxg1bj.png
  • theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    qs0op8ozud5l.png