nervous about wearing my weight lifting belt for the first time...

Options
So I got my first weight lifting belt, but I feel so nervous about wearing it. I'm the only female in the weight area in the mornings and I feel the belt will draw more attention. Its mainly to do deads which I feel my back needs support for. I would be deadlifting about 80kg + with it on. Is this too less to be wearing a belt for? The guys that deadlift in my gym usually wear it when deadlifting really heavy (even though I know there size and weight allows them to do so) I feel that if they see me deadlifting 80kg-100kg they'll probably be thinking why the heck does she need a belt for that!

Guys what do you think? Is this all in my head or do people think that?

Replies

• Milynne
    Milynne Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about what others think. You're there to do your own thing and if they can't appreciate that, then forget 'em! You know what your body is capable of, not them. If you feel you need the belt, wear it and wear it with pride! :)

Good for you for getting in there and doing your thing!
  • diyadiamonds
    diyadiamonds Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Milynne wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about what others think. You're there to do your own thing and if they can't appreciate that, then forget 'em! You know what your body is capable of, not them. If you feel you need the belt, wear it and wear it with pride! :)

Good for you for getting in there and doing your thing!

Thanks hun x
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Let's pretend all the guys in the gym did think that. What bearing does that have on whether you feel you need the belt for back support?

It's your back, you're the one who has to do the lifts. Who cares if these guys "dur hur-hur" about your belt in their heads or not? Are you going to not wear the belt, despite you feeling you need the support, because of it? C'mon. :)
  • Big5BigChange
    Big5BigChange Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with Lourdesong. Let's imagine that rather than sparing you only a fleeting glance before getting on with concentrating on their own stuff, instead these guys have a good old laugh. In fact, after being at the gym, they sit on the bus all the way home, chuckling about it. In FACT, when they get home they have to phone their Mum about it so they can have a good old giggle all over again, tears running down their faces. I ask you:
    1. Who would be the odd one in this story?
    2. How much credence should you give the judgement of aforementioned oddball?
    3. How would their actions actually impact you at all, and finally
    4. Can you actually imagine the scenario above happening anyway?

Wear your belt with pride! And good for you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    People don't care. Really.

Just a quick note: a belt isn't for your back, but to keep your core intact on heavy lifts. Keeping consistent intrabdominal pressure helps to keep you "tight" through the lift and the belt helps to keep your abs from protruding outward and keep them in.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Big5BigChange
    Big5BigChange Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Didn't know that ninerbuff. Thanks.
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    You can do it girl, its your back your protecting not your pride
  • diyadiamonds
    Options
    Totally agree with Lourdesong. Let's imagine that rather than sparing you only a fleeting glance before getting on with concentrating on their own stuff, instead these guys have a good old laugh. In fact, after being at the gym, they sit on the bus all the way home, chuckling about it. In FACT, when they get home they have to phone their Mum about it so they can have a good old giggle all over again, tears running down their faces. I ask you:
    1. Who would be the odd one in this story?
    2. How much credence should you give the judgement of aforementioned oddball?
    3. How would their actions actually impact you at all, and finally
    4. Can you actually imagine the scenario above happening anyway?

Wear your belt with pride! And good for you!

Dude ur frikkin HILARIOUS!! HAHAHA thanks !
  • zorahgail
    zorahgail Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    @diyadiamonds wear it proudly like the badass you are!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I just got mine. I'm also wondering how I will look ....
  • diyadiamonds
    Options
    I just got mine. I'm also wondering how I will look ....

Girl! Owwwwn it :D seriously I don't even know what I was worried about!!