Well with the holidays coming I feel doomed

Options
I have been working out everyday/about 5x a week now on average for the past few weeks. I do anywhere from 30 minutes - 60 minutes running stairs to do HIIT (I heard it was good for fat loss).
Well, for the past 2 weeks? I havent really lost weight. I will see a great weight loss trend, then friday hits, or some special occassion, and I overeat. I hit like 2000 calories or something, which doesnt SEEM like a lot. But after 1-2 days of eating that, I weigh myself, and I lost no weight or gained.

The worst part? This isnt even full holiday time swing. Halloween hasnt hit, Thanksgiving is coming, and Christmas and New years. I love egg nog. I love big dinners. I love a yummy feast.

I just feel like im working out 5x a week to eat a meal or two and ruin it all. :(

Does anyone else get like this or feel this way? Does anyone have any advice? I do stairs since i dont have a gym and it seems to work well. I just wanted to lose like ~5 more lbs and then hit maintanence. I feel like come 2016 I will be ~5lbs heavier!

sadfoodrantover

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    How accurate is calorie counting? Do you use a food scale?
  • ZeXea
    ZeXea Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    How accurate is calorie counting? Do you use a food scale?

Nope. I tend to eat most things that are already measured? Soups, protein bars, oatmeals, fig bars, veggie chips.
    There are some foods not measured of course, which is those meals I have out. I try to log them still but some restaurants I go to arent on MFP :/
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    You don't get fat between Christmas and New Year's, you get fat between New Year's and Christmas. It's the other 50 weeks of the year that really matter.
  • ZeXea
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    You don't get fat between Christmas and New Year's, you get fat between New Year's and Christmas. It's the other 50 weeks of the year that really matter.

That's true. I need to keep that in mind.
    I think I just want to hit my goal in 2015? And then hit maintenance mode. But with the holidays I see myself holding still and it frustrates and discourages me a bit.
    Maybe I just need to enjoy my ride a little more, and focus less on the end goal for right now.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You'll do what you really want, whatever that is. Me always do what we want.

Remember that you're in charge and you have chosen to do whatever it is - and enjoy it. :)
  • ZeXea
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You'll do what you really want, whatever that is. Me always do what we want.

Remember that you're in charge and you have chosen to do whatever it is - and enjoy it. :)

Thanks Kali :) I need to relax on myself a bit and let myself enjoy this time instead of stressing. Stress would be worse for me than not losing weight lol!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    That is true! And rankinsect is absolutely correct. My only other advice is this: you know that saying 'Not my monkeys... Not my circus...' to avoid unnecessary drama? Well substitute 'Not my sugar cookies... Not my fruitcake...' to 86 any of that 'polite' eating we do around the holidays to avoid hurting anyone's feelings. Be super choosey and only eat what you absolutely love when you absolutely feel like it!
  • ZeXea
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    That is true! And rankinsect is absolutely correct. My only other advice is this: you know that saying 'Not my monkeys... Not my circus...' to avoid unnecessary drama? Well substitute 'Not my sugar cookies... Not my fruitcake...' to 86 any of that 'polite' eating we do around the holidays to avoid hurting anyone's feelings. Be super choosey and only eat what you absolutely love when you absolutely feel like it!

Oooo! I love that! I will definetly do this! If I have to overeat calories, it should be to things I love! Thanks for the tip :)
    And also good advice with the monkeys, I learned something new today :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You need to save better for your weekends so that you have the calories to spend to keep you at calorie goal

If you've started a new exercise regime you probably have increased water weight
    Also it's common to not lose scale weight every week
    2000 calories sounds like a day at maintenance, if you're logging at defecit the rest of the week you're still losing

But your food logging may well be off too so who knows
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Also try to balance your breakfast and lunch with low calories before your big dinner.

Yesterday I knew I was going out with friends for dinner at a place without a lot of low-cal options so I tried pacing myself earlier in the day. Then I was given (by co-workers) a slice of DQ ice cream cake, a HUGE snicker doodle, chips and salsa and a pumpkin muffin. I had already calculated out everything I was eating that day and knew there was NO WAY I was going to be in deficit even without eating the extra treats. So as soon as the giver of the treat was out of sight I immediately gave my treat to someone else. Since I work with teenagers it was easy to do! Ha! But it made me feel a lot better that even though I was not going to meet my daily goal, at least I wasn't completely going out of control.

I guess my point is: choose your battles, you don't need to eat ALL the holiday treats at once.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Be super choosey and only eat what you absolutely love when you absolutely feel like it!

^^This.

The time is coming when my office will be bombarded every day with various holiday treats. I tend to pass up the tin of Pepperidge Farm cookies and Hershey Kisses because I can get those any day of the year (being wrapped in red & green foil doesn't make the Kisses any different, LOL). But when presented with something special that I only see around holiday time, or something that is available all year but takes an effort to get (i.e., something from a bakery that is some distance away) I'll indulge.

• allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Why doomed? You're a grown up correct? You have the word "no" in your vocabulary?

Just plan your day ahead of time and stick to your plan. Pre-log so you aren't making emotional choices.

Children do what feels good in the moment. adults make a plan and stick to it .
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    There are no unwilling food victims

We are the accumulation of the choices we make

The holidays do not make people fat.

What they choose to eat and do, that makes them fat, or not.

Doomed seems a bit melodramatic. Maybe it is a time that has been challenging in the past and a new way of dealing with it needs to be put in place.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    One way to look at it... you're at least minimizing the damage by being more careful the rest of the time.

That's pretty much what you should do for the Holidays. Realistically... don't even think about losing weight at that time. Just eat what you want (within reasons) on the Holidays themselves, but stay on track the rest of the week. It will be pretty much the same as what you've been doing... and at least that way you're not likely to gain much weight at all. But yeah, I agree with eating what you love and what you really feel like eating at the time. I often pass on dessert because it's not really what I've been craving, for example.

The problem if you want to lose is that you have to be more careful the rest of the time. I mean, I had a big lunch at a restaurant yesterday for lunch, so I skipped dinner, and I was still under maintenance for the day. So my advice is to be more mindful and not let yourself have 1-2 days a week when you go over (I do the same thing, mind you, but I've been maintaining). And if you know you can't help it and will do it anyway, decrease your goal so you have more of a buffer for those days.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have found maintenance.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I just turned 50 this summer so I now consider myself a wise woman. Here's what I have to offer you…if you think you are doomed, you probably are doomed. If you think of yourself as someone who is trying to lose some weight and someone who is mindful of your food intake, than that's what you'll be.

I bought a bag of those disgusting candy pumpkins last week when I bought our candy for trick or treaters. The first day I had the pumpkins I gorged myself, felt sick and realized that I could either throw away the rest of the bag or have one serving a day until the bag was gone. Since being on MFP, I've REALLY come to value the moderation thing so each day for the rest of the week I made sure I left enough calories so I could enjoy seven little orange pumpkins each day. I never even had one piece of the other candy and hope to pass on the leftovers.

With Thanksgiving coming up, I already have a plan. I love stuffing, gravy and cranberry sauce the best. Mashed potatoes, not so much. Turkey, hardly at all. Dessert, only if it's one of my favorites. So I'm going to eat a big plate of stuffing, gravy and cranberry sauce. I'll have a glass of wine and if there's an apple pie, I'll have a piece. I'll definitely go over my calorie goal, but I'll be doing it in a mindful way!

Christmas I'll eat some candy canes and enjoy a delicious dinner. Plan ahead, think of yourself as a moderate and mindful eater and don't DOOM yourself by planning to totally pig out. It is possible to get through the holidays without feeling bad about yourself!
  • tracoleman99
    tracoleman99 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I find that when I hit a plateau, I need to switch things up a little. Try adjusting your macros and increasing your protein. Your goals should all equal 100%, but increasing your protein will help with increasing muscle mass, which will help with your overall metabolism. You can adjust your nutrition under "Goals" in MFP. I've had a bad week nutritionally this week. Way too many carbs, so today I am adjusting my nutrition overall for the week to see what that does. Your body will respond to the change. Also, increase your water consumption to help with digestion.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Why doomed? You're a grown up correct? You have the word "no" in your vocabulary?

Just plan your day ahead of time and stick to your plan. Pre-log so you aren't making emotional choices.

Children do what feels good in the moment. adults make a plan and stick to it .

I love this. Words to live by.
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    It can sometimes feel that way. If we choose wisely 95% of the time, we can eat what we want within reason for a special occasion without feeling like we have totally messed up. It may slow down our weight loss a little bit, but I want to be able to not feel deprived of a tradition, or a special holiday meal.. I do agree, to only eat what you really love and skip the so so items. If you take a bite of something and it's not great, don't eat anymore of it. I know the closer you are to maintenance the harder it is to loose it. Be patient about it, don't be in a hurry. And don't think, ok I'm done when you get there, this is a rest of your life way to live in control of what we eat, unless we want to just gain it all back. Good luck, enjoy the holidays and don't stress about it.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Be super choosey and only eat what you absolutely love when you absolutely feel like it!

^^This.

The time is coming when my office will be bombarded every day with various holiday treats. I tend to pass up the tin of Pepperidge Farm cookies and Hershey Kisses because I can get those any day of the year (being wrapped in red & green foil doesn't make the Kisses any different, LOL). But when presented with something special that I only see around holiday time, or something that is available all year but takes an effort to get (i.e., something from a bakery that is some distance away) I'll indulge.

Yes, this. Anything that's ordinary, even if it's wrapped festively, I ignore. But someone's special pumpkin spice quick bread that only comes once a year ... well I'll have a piece definitely, especially if it's from one woman in particular who can bake. {drool}