Individual cereal boxes

Options
Hello! So I like cereal but if I buy a big box, I end up Having huge portions and then throw away half the box because I've gotten a bit bored!
So, I was thinking Bout buying the one portion boxes. However, the packets in supermarkets contain cereal I don't like. So does anywhere sell the one portion cereal boxes at a reasonable price? Don't Wanna spend aFortune but it will help with portion control and saving money!

Replies

• rtp_slg52181
    rtp_slg52181 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Buy the kind you like and portion them in baggies. Store till you eat them all. You can do this for 3 or 4 kinds at a time of you get a large airtight container to store the baggies in.
  • PeiDub
    PeiDub Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I used to have a roommate that would pre-portion all of her cereal into plastic baggies.

Depending on what you preference of cereal is, you may have to make a choice. Try Amazon. If you can't find something you like there, you're probably out of luck.
  • peachybum21
    peachybum21 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Perhaps my huge portions aren't quite as huge as people are thinking! I just get fed up Having the same thing all the time, which leads me to stop eating cereal and then it goes off. Might bag up portions, sounds like a good idea!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I would try buying a cereal 1 more time and measure out single servings into baggies that you can store in a container.
    See how that goes. I typically have 2 kinds of cereal in my house that I alternate between. I don't eat cereal too often, but having 2 choices is enough.

Also, try pairing your cereal with something high in protein and/or fat. Maybe do an egg, sausage/bacon or some greek yogurt. Cereal often isn't overly filling so I tend to want several portions all at once. Pairing it with something else is a good balance so I'm not having 3+ bowls to feel full.

Otherwise, check amazon.com to see what's available for single serve portions. Odds are there's more options on Amazon than your local store.

~Lyssa
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Depending on what you like, you might find it on amazon. Or you could buy a box of cereal and portion it into Tupperware containers yourself. :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I get three or more cereals and mix them together one bowl at a time. Like granola and Rice Crispies. Cap'n Crunch or Rice Crispies. You get the idea.
  • Roony02
    Roony02 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Buy kitchen scales!!!
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Better than baggies...

Those inexpensive "disposable" tupperware actually last forever, and if you store it in those, you have an instant bowl. You save money over time, waste less plastic, and have an added convenience :)
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Eat steel cut Oatmeal. Sounds like you're binging on cereal, make one serving of steel cut Oatmeal at a time. You can have more after you've eaten the first. I'm guessing in the 30 minutes it takes to make the next batch your body will say it's full.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Buy the kind you like and portion them in baggies. Store till you eat them all. You can do this for 3 or 4 kinds at a time of you get a large airtight container to store the baggies in.

This^

Zip-lock sandwich bags are great. Buy a few kinds of cereal so you still get some variety.

You will have to manage cereal portions even when you are done dieting. I don't see buying individual boxes forever as being anything practical.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

Thats a great idea. I have not bought cereal because I know how I used to eat 3 or 4 bowls.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with pre portioning what you like. Buy the smallest boxes possible of one or two favorites and weigh them into baggies/containers. If you keep it airtight, it should last awhile.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    A lot of places like Target will have individual cereal containers, vs. selling a pack of individual containers. Also check out Grocery Outlets.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    the brands that come individually are horrible
    fruit loops, sugar pops, frosted...
    way, way too much sugar - easy 10 grams per serving and no real nutrition except added powdered vitamins
    some serving size is only 1/2 cup - not satisfying at all
    eat a fiber one bar instead as a snack, 10 sugars, but at least you get a lot of fiber
    and - they are pre-packaged

This - I've never seen any healthy cereals in the small boxes. They're yummy for sure, but not at all filling, Better to buy a healthier cereal and do your own portion control.