Quick suggestions please

Options
During the day I am still battling the urge to want to eat ick foods, (potato chips, etc)
What do I need to have on hand all the time to eat whenever I want that isnt bad?

Drink- water,, anything else that isnt so bad?
snacks-???
fruit- can I eat too much?
Veggies- love em, but can eat a ton also, are some better than others?

Replies

• Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Something with fiber (fruit) and a little protein (1/2 Tblsp peanut butter) or a lowfat cheese stick will tide you over until your next meal.
  • megansprague
    Options
    This just happened to me today. I went to the gym, had barely eaten anything all day so I was very hungry and all I wanted was fried food. I got fried calamari and fries take out b/c I figured I'm young, I haven't eaten much today, it'll be okay, and I already exercised today. While it tasted good, I felt icky afterward and felt full but thought I wanted more food. I think I've learned my lesson (of course this will happen again, I know).

For me so far, I feel better eating better. I like Special K bars (chocolate drizzle) and bananas. Bananas really fill me up and I don't want anything else afterward and they're my go-to pre-workout food. I haven't been doing this too long so I don't have many tips. Drink a ton of water when you're thinking about your meal or preparing it or something b/c then when you go to eat it, you're not as hungry.
  • Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Options
    Fresh fruit and veggies..I eat tons of carrots cut up..Yogurt is good for you too.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    My favorite snack lately has been Quaker Quakes. They are really crunch and satisfying - and around 100 calories per serving. Much better than chips. They come is many flavors so if you crave something salty (Cheddar, sour cream & onion) or sweet (chocolate, vanilla creme brulee, apple cinnamon) or, my favorite, sweet chili.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    a rice cake with a little bit of peanutbutter is a quick snack. I try to have Special K cracker crisps on hand all the time - they taste good and are a good substitute for chips; they are crunchy and salty and more satisfying than chips in my opinion.
  • jeanninewright
    Options
    lately i have been having half a cup of strawberries and 1 square of dark chocolate (74% cacoa) as a snack, also good with fresh cherries
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I like beef jerky (just watch the sodium), unsalted peanuts, unsalted almonds, string cheese, and peanut butter and celery. Sometimes I will only pack 1/2 serving of nuts though because of the high fat content.
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    water is your best bet, but you can try adding lemon juice to it to have some flavour, i have even found these little packets of dehydrated lemon, lime, or orange that is just the fruit (no sugar or artificial sweetner) that you can add.

as for the food stuff, how often are you eating? i know with me, i need to eat about every 2-3 hrs or i am ravenous. by eating so often i don't feel like snacking.

you can eat too much fruit or veggies. that's why i have noticed that as long as i eat something with them, i don't need to eat so many, if i eat just a bunch of fruit or veggies, i never feel full. so i will have something like 2 mandarines and a piece of cheese, or some carrot sticks and a handful of nuts. a little something that has fat/protien in addition to your fruit should help the snacking cravings.

also, try popcorn if you find you are craving chips. just plain air popped or even the orville smart pop 100 cal bags are great. a little saltiness and a little butter flavour...mmm...perfect.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    You can still eat chips. Just eat the serving size that is listed on the bag. (Most chips are 16 to 18 chips are one serving.)
  • threekidsforme
    threekidsforme Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Protein bars are a great snack. Pistachios are good too. A friend of mine carries a bag of pistachios in her purse with her at all times.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I've really enjoyed the Special K Sea Salt Cracker Chips. 30 chips per serving and they aren't bad for you either. So When I feel the urge I'll have 4 or 5 chips and that usually stunts my hunger. Also, the past couple of day's I've been eating cans of tuna... I go with two, but after the first one I'm pretty full. I think 1 would hold you off for a couple of hours at least!
  • kysassyblonde1
    Options
    I am not a huge chip eater but the special k chips are good to me and you can have alot of them in one serving. Also have changed tobuying all baked chips for the chip eaters in my house!!!! Good luck the snacking is my problem also but I love sweet foods not the salty stuff!!!!
  • mental_release
    Options
    Do you just feel like putting something in your mouth are are you actually hungry? If you're actually hungry, re-evaluate the number of calories you need for your day. If you just want to crunch, munch, or have something...your answer is a habit change...not a different snack food. How you change a habit, wish I had a sure-fire answer for that one...we'd probably all be thin. But hopefully at least being aware of why the food is going in your mouth will help you decide a path to take.

--MR
  • CindiJ
    CindiJ Posts: 20
    Options
    Raw vegies are a good choice - carrots, celery, sweet peppers, etc. A good crisp apple or fresh berries. I also like non-fat Greek yogurt with frozen blueberries (1 cup yogurt and 3/4 cup berries). That's about 200 calories but filling, refreshing and satisfying. Drinking a lot of plain water is tough for me, but I like iced green tea with lemongrass. I avoid any kind of "snack" foods (chips, crackers, jerky, etc.) - even "diet" versions. It's hard to put the brakes on once you start.
  • Opusarlo
    Opusarlo Posts: 53
    Options
    edamame - addicting
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    I have vanilla yogurt with fresh fruit, bowl of cereal, healthy toast with little peanut butter, oranges, apples, carrots. The other day there were 4 bags of opened chips & 1 bag of unopened chips in the kitchen. I pushed past those and got my yogurt with fruit! I was so proud of myself!!! I even put some on my son's plate and DID NOT lick my fingers! Trust me -- it gets easier! And like someone said, watch portion sizes for chips. I can have 6 (and I make sure they are NOT chipped or broken) tostitos with lime chips and 1 tbsp of salsa! When I eat them, I break them into smalled pieces so I think I'm having more!
  • monicainacoma
    monicainacoma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    mmm love edamame. particularly when it comes along with california rolls. :D
  • meinco
    meinco Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    For me, I haven't told myself I couldn't have something. I eat healthy most of the time since I have started but I swear, the other day I was craving some Jalepeno Tortilla chips! I had calories left. I measured out a one serving portion on my food scale, logged it into MFP and absolutely enjoyed every bite.

If you are craving something, I say have it, if you have the calories left. It was surprising to me that what I would have considered only enough chips for about 2 minutes of snacking before, was a perfect amount and I didn't even want another serving. It hit the spot!
  • meinco
    meinco Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I just bought some wasabi roasted edamame...omg, yum!
    mmm love edamame. particularly when it comes along with california rolls. :D
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    For me, I haven't told myself I couldn't have something. I eat healthy most of the time since I have started but I swear, the other day I was craving some Jalepeno Tortilla chips! I had calories left. I measured out a one serving portion on my food scale, logged it into MFP and absolutely enjoyed every bite.

If you are craving something, I say have it, if you have the calories left. It was surprising to me that what I would have considered only enough chips for about 2 minutes of snacking before, was a perfect amount and I didn't even want another serving. It hit the spot!

Completely agree with what you're saying about adding it to the food diary and loving every bite!