no alcohol!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• katrn05
    katrn05 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    TracyeS4 wrote: »
    I gain 1-2 pounds EVERY time that I drink. Got really tired of losing the same 2 pounds over and over and over again. I'm shooting for abstaining until Thanksgiving. It has been 1 month so far and I have FINALLY gotten over my 3 month plateau. I think you made a good choice.

Yeah, alcohol makes you retain water. I noticed that since I have cut back on drinking I don't feel as bloated. It used to be that I would have a glass of wine or two or three every weekend. And that was two months ago. I've had a drink here/there but nothing crazy. I've really cut back since April though. I was in a horrible relationship (if that's what I can describe it as) and the guy I was "seeing" and I would do shots or make drinks or mix wine and shots of jack daniels. It got to the point where I am fairly certain I had alcohol poisoning and was sick. Plus, my body just felt awful. Alcohol does crappy things to the body. But since I stopped seeing that guy, I've not had one shot of liquor and I've noticed how much better I feel. I had a bunch of friends do the Whole30 thing and they stopped drinking so I, for the most part, did too. I don't miss it.
  • myoung15523
    myoung15523 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Still going strong guys!!! This weekend has been the hardest, Friday night I could have really had a drink, but I resisted. Saturday we went out for a family meal and I stuck with tonic water, which was strange because I didn't even register that I hadn't drank alcohol until I went to bed and then I felt really proud of myself
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing last year. Decided to give up my Pino Grigio for one month. I was a daily wine drinker and a bottle of wine once opened didn't stand a chance with me. It was surprising easy the first week. The second week I started noticing how many people are drinking on my favorite tv shows and how many damn commercials are beer or wine related.(yes I liked beer too).
    But those feelings pass.
    After the month was over I just never went back to it, and this month makes well over a year.
    I feel quite proud of it actually,and I really feel much healthier and sharper. I'm no longer wine's *kitten*.
    Keep it up. YOU GOT THIS!!❤️❤️❤️
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    B&tch!
  • youshouldpaint
    youshouldpaint Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've just passed my first weekend without alcohol! You are inspiring me! I almost went to the Liquor Store on Friday to grab a bottle of red - trying to convince myself it was a healthier choice than beer, but I resisted! Phew!
  • myoung15523
    Options
    I did the same thing last year. Decided to give up my Pino Grigio for one month. I was a daily wine drinker and a bottle of wine once opened didn't stand a chance with me. It was surprising easy the first week. The second week I started noticing how many people are drinking on my favorite tv shows and how many damn commercials are beer or wine related.(yes I liked beer too).
    But those feelings pass.
    After the month was over I just never went back to it, and this month makes well over a year.
    I feel quite proud of it actually,and I really feel much healthier and sharper. I'm no longer wine's *kitten*.
    Keep it up. YOU GOT THIS!!❤️❤️❤️

That is fantastic wow, well done :)
  • besdais
    besdais Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I haven't decided to give it up for good, but I have been gaining and losing the same 5 pounds for months. I am helping out my parents at their retirement home and have been her for 2 weeks. I haven't drank at all, and have lost 7 pounds. Hmmmm.....
  • myoung15523
    Options
    I've just passed my first weekend without alcohol! You are inspiring me! I almost went to the Liquor Store on Friday to grab a bottle of red - trying to convince myself it was a healthier choice than beer, but I resisted! Phew!

Well done :smiley:
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I've cut out alchol completely for the last 6 weeks or so and it's been relatively easy. I find that listening to music loudly while breaking a sweat improves my mood even more than a few shots of alchol. And I don't feel like crap in the morning. Though I do have a 4 pack of Dogfish Head Pumkin I was saving for Halloween. Maybe I'll just have one a week for the next month and then not buy any more
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    myoung, that is SO wonderful. Keep going. You are doing FANTASTIC
  • myoung15523
    Options
    Wow guys, I did it again, the whole weekend without any alcohol. That's is now 27 alcohol free days. I hope you are all doing well too
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Be sure to keep us posted.
  • TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    Options

Well done!
  • TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I did indulge last week. I had a whole bottle of wine. I almost caved last night, too, but my plans were changed so I dodged that bullet. I can definitely make it to Thanksgiving.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing. My first weekend ever. Day #8 alcohol free for me. Just goes to show you, it can be done. By me!!!!!!!!! B)
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    When I first started counting calories and measuring/weighing everything I was SHOCKED to see how many calories I was drinking in alcohol. I'd have one or two glasses of wine every evening, and my glasses were much more than the one serving size that's recommended. omg. Plus, for my glass after dinner I had to have something salty and crunchy with it. You know I wasn't hungry since I'd just eaten dinner, it was just habit. Plus I just love salty things with wine. So by cutting out the after-dinner glass and the salty/crunchy I immediately lost some weight by my next weigh-in.

Then summer arrived and my husband and I like gin and tonics when it's hot. I switched to diet tonic and thought I'd hate it, but it was actually quite good. A gin and tonic isn't necessarily sweet anyway, so the switch was painless. And there are way fewer calories in gin than there are in wine (for the serving I have, I mean... I'm using a smaller amount of gin vs. my glass of wine). So once I started with the gin and tonics (we have only one in the evening) I cut out wine, because I didn't want to add those calories in also.

Then when the weather got cold and we stopped with the gin and tonics I just didn't add the wine back in. I've had maybe two or three small glasses over the last month or so. :)
  • Erismoon
    Erismoon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That is great!!! I am on my third day! I always hit the wine hard on the weekends, in fact I am thinking it was a large part of of some of my weight gain (eep)!
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've been alcohol free for exactly one month today. I did have some O'Douls (nonalcoholic beers) last night so the Jell-O shot guy would quite harassing me, but overall, I've never felt better. Life without hangovers or sleep disruptions is freakin fantastic!!!!!