Not tracking?

Options
I'm looking for a thread on here that several members stated that they don't track in their diaries on MFP. How do you keep track of calories etc? Portions? Cutting out certain foods? Curious about this.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    i kept a diary for 9 months while I was losing weight...i used it as a tool to teach me how to eat in appropriate quantities and portions and to learn how to get better nutrition...it was like training wheels on a bike...eventually i took them off.

I have maintained for about 2.5 years without logging a single thing. I eat pretty healthfully and exercise regularly...good livin' makes weight management very easy.
  • WeighToGoJudy
    WeighToGoJudy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks wolfman. :smile:
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Here is a recent thread on the subject. I'm not sure if this is the one you are speaking about or not, but it's close at least.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10273827/group-of-people-who-dont-count-calories-how-did-it-work-for-you-in-the-long-run/p1

For me, the basics of weight loss are simple. Eat less, move more. I really joined MFP more out of interest in the nutrition side of things. But if you have a way to weigh yourself, and/or a measuring tape, then the weight loss side is mostly common sense.

Not to say that you can't gain a lot more from this website. It's a great resource for finding like minded people, loads of information, and a way to track all the data you have to measure your level of success.

• starling01
    starling01 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Learning how to identify correct portions, about nutrition etc is one reason for tracking. There are others. I take help where I can find it. I don't want to slide back into justifying the extra pizza, the extra muffin, and exaggerating the amount of calories I burn. Tracking is a useful tool for me. I've lost the weight I want to lose. but I don't intend to stop logging. It's a simple, helpful process.
  • WeighToGoJudy
    WeighToGoJudy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Here is a recent thread on the subject. I'm not sure if this is the one you are speaking about or not, but it's close at least.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10273827/group-of-people-who-dont-count-calories-how-did-it-work-for-you-in-the-long-run/p1

For me, the basics of weight loss are simple. Eat less, move more. I really joined MFP more out of interest in the nutrition side of things. But if you have a way to weigh yourself, and/or a measuring tape, then the weight loss side is mostly common sense.

Not to say that you can't gain a lot more from this website. It's a great resource for finding like minded people, loads of information, and a way to track all the data you have to measure your level of success.

That's the one. :smile: Thank you Robert.
    I appreciate everyone's input on this subject.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I probably posted in that thread. I lost without tracking. I was mindful of what I ate (I chose healthier entrees, got sauce on the side, reduced refined carbs, increased plant food carbs, carefully timed snacks etc.).
    I have been maintaining (+-5) for about 14 years. I do track some now as I'm going through menopause and the world isn't what it used to be lol. But if calorie counting/weighing/measuring isn't for you, maybe try a different approach. Good luck.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

That's the one. :smile: Thank you Robert.
    I appreciate everyone's input on this subject.

I had that bookmarked, so I was hoping.

I think in the end it varies person to person. But I'd also think that the input of many to eat foods that are less calorie dense is a big factor. It's almost impossible to eat too much salad, most fruits, etc unless there is a lot of calorie rich stuff put in them. On the flip side, a six pack of local grocery store donuts could put me over my calorie goal for the day.

I still eat foods I enjoy, including those donuts. I just eat them in moderation, and make an effort to cut out the worst things on most days.
  • PeiDub
    PeiDub Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking. Every time I tired to start back up, I found I'd be really discouraged if I went over my goal, and then I'd just give up for that day, and keep eating without logging. OR I would find myself with a low net, and be like "heck yeah I can eat 8 oreos" or some b.s. like that.

Now I just try to make better choices and be mindful of what I'm eating. Somehow that helped. I'm not thinking about calories and food all day. I'm not wasting time weighing and measuring and calculating everything I put into my mouth. Calorie counting is a great approach, just not for everyone.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My curiosity always gets the better of me, and i HAVE to know how many calories i'm eating. I don't think I'll ever stop logging my food because i hate "wondering" if I'm over, under or spot on.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I track diligently... sometimes. Maybe 25-50% of the time. I lose more when I do, and I maintain or lose slowly when I don't. When I don't track, I still try to eat well. It all shakes out and the weight is going down, so good deal.

I also wear my Fitbit every day without fail and aim for a daily burn of at least 2200 calories even when I'm not tracking food.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a thread on here that several members stated that they don't track in their diaries on MFP. How do you keep track of calories etc? Portions? Cutting out certain foods? Curious about this.

Honestly, I lost half of the weight before I joined MFP, and all my weight without a scale. So it is possible. I realized that I only had about 12 lbs to lose and I never had bad eating habits, so maybe that made the whole process a little bit easier. I have been maintaining for 5 years with only a +/-2 lbs fluctuation; I left MFP last year and came back after 7 months only because I had the idea of doing a recomp, and not because I had gained the weight back. If you have healthy eating habits, self control and discipline and are very active, it is possible to maintain a healthy weight without measuring and logging every morsel that goes in your mouth. I don't measure/weight food or even try to estimate when I am on vacation or when I eat out. It is a way to get away from the "dependency" in this website. But you have to do what works for you and don't worry about anybody else.
  • dn0pes
    dn0pes Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I started to diet when I was at 266 - After I got to 216 I found MFP so..... I do like tracking my intake with MFP - I'm at my goal of 178 - Now it is just maintenance - Which honestly, is monotonous. Need a new goal