How do I differentiate between 'Normal Daily Activities' and

Options
In my Diet Profile I selected 'Active' for my normal daily activity. This is defined as "spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)". Here's my question: At work we receive a big shipment once a week. I usually spend 45 minutes to an hour putting it away. This involves lifting, opening, unpacking, climbing, and moving things. Some of the boxes are 1 pound and others can weigh up to 25 or 30 pounds. Is this considered part of my "normal daily activity"? Or can I count this activity as exercise one day a week? How would I record it in my exercise?

Thanks in advance for your responses and opinions!
Vicki

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Since it's only once a week, I'd just log it as exercise on that day (I think there's a "construction" option that would work).
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it as activity if you've already chosen "active" for your profile.
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    From what you've stated you spend 1/40 hours putting things away. What about the other 39 hours (if you're full time)?
    I'd aim low, and adjust if necessary. I listed myself as sedentary because I spend a lot of time on my butt (I took notes one day, out of curiosity) despite being a fitness coach! I'd consider the hour of unpacking additional exercise because it doesn't happen on a daily basis.
  • ginakelley
    ginakelley Posts: 33
    Options
    I try not to log anything that I do on a daily basis, unless I push it a little further. Example... I work at a very busy hospital as a CT Tech... I am lifting patients, pushing carts, walking up and down the halls, etc my entire shift... That is my normal activity, BUT if I wear my ankle weights under my scrubs for a shift... I log THAT as exercise. So IMO I would probably log it. If you can wear a heart rate monitor to check calories burned during the activity, then just make a personal exercise and log how long and the amount of calories burned.
  • vrags2
    vrags2 Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks for the great responses. Perhaps I should have mentioned that I usually work up a sweat and get my HR up while I am putting away the shipment. I know it's just 1 hour (out of 40) but I am curious how my fellow MFPers would track this.