I Am STARVING!! Close to Maintenance. Is This Normal?

Options
I am a 5' 4" female, currently weigh 133 lb. I've lost 68 lbs. in the last 9 months, and did fine with my allowed calories after the first few weeks. Basically, once I figured out what and when to eat to keep me full the longest. A few weeks ago I started feeling hungry all the time again. I'm almost to maintenance, just wanting to lose a last few pounds. At first, I thought it was just TOM, but that has come and gone and I'm still starving all the time. And it's not just boredom; this is stomach growling, want-to-chew-my-own-arm-off hunger. I'm eating more calories (set to lose 0.5 lbs/week) but still hungry. Is this normal? You're supposed to need less calories as you lose weight, so why do I feel like I need more? Could it be because my body doesn't have the massive stores of fat to pull from anymore? Has anyone else experienced this? It's getting really hard to stay on track.

Replies

• wildrosewood
    wildrosewood Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Wow, that sounds difficult. =/ Are you eating back exercise calories? How active are you?
  • pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Wow, that sounds difficult. =/ Are you eating back exercise calories? How active are you?

In the beginning, I wasn't eating back any exercise calories. I'm currently eating back pretty much 100% and still hungry. I'm set at sedentary but am doing C25K, plus I walk 30 minutes 5X per week (during my lunch break) along with all the regular "life" stuff. Occasionally, I go to the gym or ride my bike, but mostly walk/jog.

I just checked and my weekly total for this week is 560. That would include house cleaning if it was intense enough to be justified (like mopping the kitchen, cleaning the basement, etc., not just doing dishes or laundry).
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    What has your weight done during these last few weeks of hunger? Are you losing at the rate you would expect? less? more?
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I am a 5' 4" female, currently weigh 133 lb. I've lost 68 lbs. in the last 9 months, and did fine with my allowed calories after the first few weeks. Basically, once I figured out what and when to eat to keep me full the longest. A few weeks ago I started feeling hungry all the time again. I'm almost to maintenance, just wanting to lose a last few pounds. At first, I thought it was just TOM, but that has come and gone and I'm still starving all the time. And it's not just boredom; this is stomach growling, want-to-chew-my-own-arm-off hunger. I'm eating more calories (set to lose 0.5 lbs/week) but still hungry. Is this normal? You're supposed to need less calories as you lose weight, so why do I feel like I need more? Could it be because my body doesn't have the massive stores of fat to pull from anymore? Has anyone else experienced this? It's getting really hard to stay on track.

Most important is...do you lose weight as projected? So half a pound a week or more...when more eat a bit more.
    For me i have days that i eat more than the "given" daily calorie allowance. But i still lose the same :)

And when you you dont lose more, maybe settle down to lose a little less than the half pound a week. Your body seems to "ask" for more food.

95069916.png
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Some quick add calories in your diary, lots of snacks I wouldn't find filling, condiments that are full calorie or large servings.

One day:
    Cinnamon roll- 250 calories, not filling
    Taco bell- 440 calories, not filling
    Two caramel apples- 460 calories, maybe filling but you could have had one.

Those aren't 'bad' choices, but in the same day they don't help you feel full. That often carries over for a few days.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I am finding myself to be in the same situation. As mentioned by usmcmp - i try to find things that are more filling as I am reaching goal. But yeah, I get it. I basically have stopped exercising at this point just so I can stay on track with my calories. As soon as I exercise, despite increasing my caloric intake, I am still starving and lose all control.
  • pearso21123
    Options
    What has your weight done during these last few weeks of hunger? Are you losing at the rate you would expect? less? more?

My weight bounced up a couple of pounds one week and has been slowly inching its way back down, but I finally got sick of the scale and decided to weigh myself only once per month, after TOM, and focus more on fitness and less on the scale. Not very helpful, I know, but at 0.5 lbs per week weighing weekly just doesn't tell you a whole lot. I can fluctuate by that much in a day, easy.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, your protein seems a little low, that could be it. I usually need at least 80g and aim for over 100g. Also meeting your fiber goal could help with full-ness. You also don't have your fat tracked in your diary. Getting a healthy minimum of fat helps a lot with hunger.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Azurite27 wrote: »
    Looking at your diary, your protein seems a little low, that could be it. I usually need at least 80g and aim for over 100g. Also meeting your fiber goal could help with full-ness. You also don't have your fat tracked in your diary. Getting a healthy minimum of fat helps a lot with hunger.

Good catches! I would stop tracking sodium, make sure you eat 80+ grams of protein and start tracking fat.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation as you - pretty much what would have been fine while I was losing is not fine anymore now because I'm hungrier.. so I have to make better choices, or I am hungry (so yeah, I'm hungry a lot).

Just looking at your diary, you just need to make better choices. Too much fast food (not filling for the calories), too many liquid calories (milk, kool aid), definitely not enough protein and probably not enough fat and fiber either.
  • pearso21123
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Some quick add calories in your diary, lots of snacks I wouldn't find filling, condiments that are full calorie or large servings.

One day:
    Cinnamon roll- 250 calories, not filling
    Taco bell- 440 calories, not filling
    Two caramel apples- 460 calories, maybe filling but you could have had one.

Those aren't 'bad' choices, but in the same day they don't help you feel full. That often carries over for a few days.

True, I have been eating more "junk" lately. My quick add calories are normally things I know the calories for but didn't want to look up in the database; very rarely homemade items that I estimated the calories for because I cook in bulk for my family and can't always figure out how many calories are in one "serving." But, even when I eat a meal that kept me perfectly full all summer long (my normal breakfast of 2 servings of cereal, 0.5 cup milk, sometimes a banana, sometimes not) it no longer fills me up. I've tried switching back to eggs (my normal "winter" breakfast) and still no go. Azurite27, you may be right about my protein.

Those cinnamon rolls were a splurge, and I knew I was going to regret it later.

Go back past Wednesday to get a more accurate food log. These last few days have been terrible with eating on the run.
  • pearso21123
    Options

Good catches! I would stop tracking sodium, make sure you eat 80+ grams of protein and start tracking fat.

How can I get that much protein?? I'll have to do some research on high-protein foods.

I switched out sodium and added fat. I normally just like to keep an eye on sodium because I tend to like salty foods, and that of course leads to water retention, not for any health reason.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I went back 3 weeks. The day I was talking about specifically is October 23rd. October 15th no breakfast logged and 1000 calories of Taco Bell for lunch.

Typically you are low on protein (which is filling) and you could make choices that are more filling.
  • usmcmp
    Options

How can I get that much protein?? I'll have to do some research on high-protein foods.

I switched out sodium and added fat. I normally just like to keep an eye on sodium because I tend to like salty foods, and that of course leads to water retention, not for any health reason.

Chicken, eggs, beef, cheeses, pork. There are days where you get more than 80g of protein.
  • pearso21123
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm in the same situation as you - pretty much what would have been fine while I was losing is not fine anymore now because I'm hungrier.. so I have to make better choices, or I am hungry (so yeah, I'm hungry a lot).

Just looking at your diary, you just need to make better choices. Too much fast food (not filling for the calories), too many liquid calories (milk, kool aid), definitely not enough protein and probably not enough fat and fiber either.

The kool-aid is sugar free, only 10 calories per bottle of water and I drink about 3 bottles per day (30 calories total per day), so I don't think that's it. I used to be a Mountain Dew addict. Pop was the first thing I gave up when I decided it was time to lose weight. I've only been having 0.5 cup of milk with my cereal in the mornings, except for this past week when I've increased it to a whole cup. That doesn't seem like too much, but maybe it is. Definitely too much fast food this past week, though the hunger started before that. With all the fast food I've had this week, this probably wasn't the best time to ask this question and have everybody looking at my diary :smile:
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

The kool-aid is sugar free, only 10 calories per bottle of water and I drink about 3 bottles per day (30 calories total per day), so I don't think that's it. I used to be a Mountain Dew addict. Pop was the first thing I gave up when I decided it was time to lose weight. I've only been having 0.5 cup of milk with my cereal in the mornings, except for this past week when I've increased it to a whole cup. That doesn't seem like too much, but maybe it is. Definitely too much fast food this past week, though the hunger started before that. With all the fast food I've had this week, this probably wasn't the best time to ask this question and have everybody looking at my diary :smile:

You've had severe hunger the past few weeks and higher intake of fast food the past few weeks. They are related. You don't have to give up fast food, but for the amount of calories you "spend" on fast food it's not as filling as other options. It is a good idea to limit fast food if you are concerned with hunger.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options

Cottage cheese with fruit and granola for breakfast
    Mixed salad and canned chicken or tuna for lunch
    Protein, rice, and veggies for dinner

Hope that helps
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Alright, well, I went back too but there's no way cereal and milk would keep me full longer than one hour in the morning, lol.

Then there's a severe lack of veggies. Try to get your 5 servings a day (I often get 8 or 9). And still too many carbs, not enough protein.

I suggest you start cooking instead of relying on convenience food.
  • pearso21123
    Options
    Thank you, everybody. I just went back and reviewed my diary, and holy cow! I didn't realize I'd let that much fast food sneak back into my life! No wonder I've been so hungry. I thought I was doing really well with all of the home cooking I've been doing. I hate to cook and have learned a lot of new recipes over the summer, and have added in a lot more veggies than in the past, but obviously I still have a ways to go.

So, to summarize what you've helped me to realize, though it should have been obvious:
    • More protein
    • Less carbs
    • Less junk and fast food overall (duh! Why didn't I think of that myself)
    • More fiber
    • More veggies

Now I need to go make a list of the foods I should be eating and tape copies on the stove, the refrigerator, and on my computer at work.

Note to self: Get back on track and quit screwing around!

And, as my way of apology for asking such a stupid question, I am having a can of tuna for dinner. Partly because that's all the calories I have left, and partly because Protein.
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    In addition to more protein, less junk, more fiber...perhaps you could try eating at maintenance for a week or two, then go back to a deficit? It might give your body and mind a chance to regroup.