Is weight loss slower when doing strength/weight training?

Options
I'm doing both cardio and strength/ weight training and eating right in order to lose weight and get healthy. My weight loss has not happened as quickly as I thought it might in the beginning. I've lost about 4 lbs in 2 weeks which I am really proud of, but I'm wondering if the strength training could be cancelling out some of the "loss" since I'm likely gaining some muscle?

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    It will slow down weight loss by building or maintaining muscle (let's not get into an argument over which occurs in most people, that's a discussion we won't solve here).

You are of course a lot better off, since it would keep your BMR higher, it would keep your body fat % lower, and it would actually increase the rate of fat loss because more of your deficit has to come from fat instead of muscle.
  • Amanda682015
    Amanda682015 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    For me it depends!

I am somebody who gains muscle (in my opinion) too quickly. When I lift heavier weights less reps, I lose inches, but it takes longer for the weight to come off. For example: Chest (Bench) Press 80-100lbs 7reps 1-3 sets.

When I do cardio, less weight, and more reps, the weight comes off faster. For example: Chest (Bench) Press 60lbs 12-15 reps 3 sets.

When I do less weight its not until the second set that I start to feel a burn, but I'm building muscle endurance, and building muscle to tone, not to bulk up.
  • rtp_slg52181
    rtp_slg52181 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    As a female it is highly unlikely you gain muscle in a deficit that has you losing 2 lbs a week.

That being said, when you start a new lifting schedule your muscles will store some additional water to facilitate healing. This will reduce slightly as you become used to your schedule.

You are doing well, just keep going.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    well firstly, you sound like you are losing on track.

You may gain some water weight when you first start training, but this should level out.

The likelihood that you are "gaining muscle" which is "cancelling out" weight loss is minimal.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It will not slow down fat loss at all. That is all that matters.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I don't drop as many pounds when I am strength training but my measurements keep going down and my clothes fit better. Are you tracking your measurements?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It won't slow fat loss if you are still in a deficit. You may notice the scale moves around due to water retention that happens when you lift.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    I'm doing both cardio and strength/ weight training and eating right in order to lose weight and get healthy. My weight loss has not happened as quickly as I thought it might in the beginning. I've lost about 4 lbs in 2 weeks which I am really proud of, but I'm wondering if the strength training could be cancelling out some of the "loss" since I'm likely gaining some muscle?

Yes, keep on lifting. At the end of the day, it's about strengthening your body and lowering your body fat and gaining some definition. Cardio is very important but also look at this way, in order to have an intense cardio session, your muscles are going to have to work hard to get you there. Keep on lifting. By all means.
  • RainySeattle
    RainySeattle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Super helpful info!
  • azelizabeth
    azelizabeth Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It slows my loss on the scale bit truly it really makes a difference in my measurements.... In the end I think you will feel better about yourself if you do both.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    It will not slow down fat loss at all. That is all that matters.

More people should remember this.