Low Blood Pressure

Options
Machka9
Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
For years, when I was slender, my blood pressure was a little on the low side ... 110/60 and in that range. That was normal for me.

Then in 2009, I slowly started putting on weight, and my blood pressure increased a little bit to about 125/75 or so. A new normal.

Now I've lost weight and I'm back down to slender again, and as expected my blood pressure has dropped again, but this time I feel like I am experiencing more symptoms than I was before ... especially when I stand up. And I'm hitting new lows. Last night, for example, I dropped to 88/55.

I'd rather have low blood pressure than high blood pressure, and I'm learning coping mechanisms like wiggling my feet before I stand up, but I was just wondering if you have experienced this and what you might be doing to raise your blood pressure just a tiny bit. Or what you might do to make it easier to stand up?

Oh ... I'm also focusing on hydration and I'm using a little bit extra salt ...

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have low blood pressure. Today it was 98/70, or thereabouts due to a stressful situation in my life right now, but usually it's about 100/58. My doctor is aware of it too.

I have gotten light headed when standing, which keep me standing for a minute before moving forward, but it does not happen often. I don't eat loads of salt, but I try to keep it on the higher side, and I work to keep well hydrated.

Is you doctor aware of your blood pressure? Has he/she made any recommendations?
  • Machka9
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Yes, I have low blood pressure. Today it was 98/70, or thereabouts due to a stressful situation in my life right now, but usually it's about 100/58. My doctor is aware of it too.

I have gotten light headed when standing, which keep me standing for a minute before moving forward, but it does not happen often. I don't eat loads of salt, but I try to keep it on the higher side, and I work to keep well hydrated.

Is you doctor aware of your blood pressure? Has he/she made any recommendations?

No, my Dr isn't aware of this. I haven't been to see her since May, and I wasn't quite this low then. This is relatively new, like in the last couple months. I may have to make an appointment.

I don't just get lightheaded when I stand, these days everything goes fuzzy and dark, and I have to hang onto things with a death grip or sit back down immediately. However, if I do wiggle my feet or something, that helps.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

No, my Dr isn't aware of this. I haven't been to see her since May, and I wasn't quite this low then. This is relatively new, like in the last couple months. I may have to make an appointment.

I don't just get lightheaded when I stand, these days everything goes fuzzy and dark, and I have to hang onto things with a death grip or sit back down immediately. However, if I do wiggle my feet or something, that helps.

Oh no, I've never experienced that before. I suggest an immediate appointment with your doctor. What if you're somewhere and pass out? Yes, please see your doctor now.
  • Machka9
    Options

Oh no, I've never experienced that before. I suggest an immediate appointment with your doctor. What if you're somewhere and pass out? Yes, please see your doctor now.

Pre-2009, I used to experience this, and several doctors over the years just told me it was normal for me. As long as I'm walking around, and not doing anything foolish like crouching down to look at something on a bottom shelf, I'm OK.

But ... it does seem to be a little bit worse than it was. I'm not sure if it is just that I've forgotten how bad it was before or if it is actually worse.

So yes, I think I will get it checked.

• SLLRunner
    Options

Pre-2009, I used to experience this, and several doctors over the years just told me it was normal for me. As long as I'm walking around, and not doing anything foolish like crouching down to look at something on a bottom shelf, I'm OK.

But ... it does seem to be a little bit worse than it was. I'm not sure if it is just that I've forgotten how bad it was before or if it is actually worse.

So yes, I think I will get it checked.

Excellent. I hope all turns out okay for you. :)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Yep, I have the same issue. Staying very well hydrated seems to help with the dizziness.

You should mention it to your GP.
  • winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I suffer from low blood pressure and I have brought it to my doctors attention. Not much you can do for it but EAT more salt (a little bit). This has helped me tremendously. I eat a few pickles a few times in a week or a piece or two of bacon once a week. I also sometimes drink Lipton soup in a cup when I am having a bad day of feeling like I'm going to back out.